Fascism is Heroarchy

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Heroarchy is Fascism

Post by CharlesPhipps »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:00 pmThe argument agaisnt it is that it made him a Martyr.
I mean, their original plan was, "Be the figurehead ruler and live your life in shocking luxury."

And THEN he decided to murder them all.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

I'm not interesting in debating what he deserves, Capital Punishment is wrong PEIORD, I feel that way even about Nuremberg.
Call me KuudereKun
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:47 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:36 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:25 pm
It’s NEVER okay to assassinate someone.
To save the life of another.
Just because the state can do it doesn’t mean you should too.
How do you feel about vigilantes killing people or is it only when the government doing it that makes it acceptable? That does feed back into the superhero discussion after all. Because under this logic, James Bond hunting down and killing Blofeld to save the world fine, the Punisher hunting down and killing Blofeld to save the world wrong, even though the outcome is exactly the same. Is the only thing making this acceptable an old man in London giving Bond the all-clear to do it?

I think also what I am asking here is, how do you define assassination? What is the dividing line between an assassin and a normal killer?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:46 pmHow do you feel about vigilantes killing people or is it only when the government doing it that makes it acceptable? That does feed back into the superhero discussion after all. Because under this logic, James Bond hunting down and killing Blofeld to save the world fine, the Punisher hunting down and killing Blofeld to save the world wrong, even though the outcome is exactly the same. Is the only thing making this acceptable an old man in London giving Bond the all-clear to do it?
Well for one thing it's a lot more likely that James Bond isn't gunning down Blofeld because he hates Poles than when The Punisher does it.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Racism’s bad, mmmkay.

Sorry. South Park joke.
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:46 pm How do you feel about vigilantes killing people or is it only when the government doing it that makes it acceptable? That does feed back into the superhero discussion after all. Because under this logic, James Bond hunting down and killing Blofeld to save the world fine, the Punisher hunting down and killing Blofeld to save the world wrong, even though the outcome is exactly the same. Is the only thing making this acceptable an old man in London giving Bond the all-clear to do it?

I think also what I am asking here is, how do you define assassination? What is the dividing line between an assassin and a normal killer?
An assassin working for a state is a soldier.

An assassin working for himself is a murderer.

An assassin working for the people is a revolutionary.

An assassin who kills someone everyone hates is a freedom fighter.

An assassin who kills someone people like is a terrorist.

And none of this actually matters save perception.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

TGLS wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:10 pm Well for one thing it's a lot more likely that James Bond isn't gunning down Blofeld because he hates Poles than when The Punisher does it.
Marvel is sort of stuck with Frank Castle because a lot of the writers would really just like him to be a racist fascist asshole but he's incredibly marketable and popular.

So you get weird stories like Frank Castle joining Hydra or attacking migrants while mind controlled.

Even though I sincerely doubt Frank Castle is a Nazi.

He's bad enough as he is that you don't need to throw that in.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:25 am
TGLS wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:10 pm Well for one thing it's a lot more likely that James Bond isn't gunning down Blofeld because he hates Poles than when The Punisher does it.
Marvel is sort of stuck with Frank Castle because a lot of the writers would really just like him to be a racist fascist asshole but he's incredibly marketable and popular.

So you get weird stories like Frank Castle joining Hydra or attacking migrants while mind controlled.

I think Frank Castle is at his best when he's just ''Batman with guns.''

All of this other stuff is what people refer to when they say ''keep politics out of comics.''
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

clearspira wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:16 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:25 am

I think Frank Castle is at his best when he's just ''Batman with guns.''

All of this other stuff is what people refer to when they say ''keep politics out of comics.''
In my experience the "keep politics out of comics" people are the same people as have a "thin blue line" punisher logo on their car.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

It’s always gonna be fundamentally incoherent at best because Frank’s core is “the system failed my family so it’s up to me to take the fight to organized crime”, which is a deeply political statement. Like not even in an “all art is at least a little political because it’s communicating with the reader and that assumes some political common ground”, that’s just literally a commentary on specific aspects of the political system.

Of course the best use of the Punisher today would be to take on the biggest organized crime rings, the police, but marvel isn’t gonna have the balls to have him gun down the NYPD en masse