Dungeons and Dragons movie

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Dungeons and Dragons movie

Post by Madner Kami »

So, finally got around to watch it. It's just great. Loads of things to see for people familiar with the IP and just generally a well made movie in it's own right. What I loved most, was probably the cameo of the cartoon-series adventure-group and the fact that just everybody seems to have fun playing it both straight and tounge-in-cheek.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

The movie has taken in about 200 million dollars now, so it'll actually recoup its production expenses.

Whether the advertising budget too? That remains to be seen.

Still, it's not going to be a bomb. Sadly, I don't think it's going to be a super success sparking a bunch of new movies due to Mario.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:49 pm The movie has taken in about 200 million dollars now, so it'll actually recoup its production expenses.

Still, it's not going to be a bomb. Sadly, I don't think it's going to be a super success sparking a bunch of new movies due to Mario.
Too bad because it's a good movie.

I wonder if they removed Dungeons and Dragons from the name if it would have done any better.

That and does this movie really feel like a $150 million movie? I kinda feel like they could have cut down on some of the unnecessary CGI in some places. That's just me.
I got nothing to say here.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

McAvoy wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:04 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:49 pm The movie has taken in about 200 million dollars now, so it'll actually recoup its production expenses.

I wonder if they removed Dungeons and Dragons from the name if it would have done any better.

That and does this movie really feel like a $150 million movie? I kinda feel like they could have cut down on some of the unnecessary CGI in some places. That's just me.
Dunno if the title of D&D is a detractor these days, but I'd rather they had emphasized that this isn't a movie in the lineage of the D&D-movies, but primarilly a movie about a bunch of thieves, a heist-movie. Rather than

Dungeons & Dragons
Honour among thieves

It should've been

Honour among thieves
A Dungeons & Dragons Tale

Also, advertisement for the movie was crap. At least hereabout. That the movie exists came only to me, when I saw a trailer in the cinema shortly before it's launch. I was immediatly hooked by what I saw there, but a little more hype would've gone a long way.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Dungeons & Dragons as a brand is huge these days, it would be silly to lose the name recognition.

Not to make everyone feel old but I doubt the target audience has even seen the 2000 movies.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Madner Kami wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:48 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:04 am

Dunno if the title of D&D is a detractor these days, but I'd rather they had emphasized that this isn't a movie in the lineage of the D&D-movies, but primarilly a movie about a bunch of thieves, a heist-movie. Rather than

Dungeons & Dragons
Honour among thieves

It should've been

Honour among thieves
A Dungeons & Dragons Tale

Also, advertisement for the movie was crap. At least hereabout. That the movie exists came only to me, when I saw a trailer in the cinema shortly before it's launch. I was immediatly hooked by what I saw there, but a little more hype would've gone a long way.
Yeah I didn't even know a movie was being made until I saw an ad on it through Facebook. Didn't even see a trailer until then.
I got nothing to say here.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

I don't know how financially successful this film is or will be, but I can't help but wonder why studios expend tremendous budgets on movies that can only be recouped if the film is a wild success.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Big risk big reward.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Frustration wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:21 pm I don't know how financially successful this film is or will be, but I can't help but wonder why studios expend tremendous budgets on movies that can only be recouped if the film is a wild success.
Generally because studios are lying about how much they stand to lose. The black budgets of Hollywood are infamous in virtually every accounting circle. In addition to pure ticket sales, they have streaming and DVD sales as well as all merchandising. Plus any losses recouped from future uses by networks or licensing.

There's no way to actually lose money in the long run.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:47 am
Frustration wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:21 pm I don't know how financially successful this film is or will be, but I can't help but wonder why studios expend tremendous budgets on movies that can only be recouped if the film is a wild success.
Generally because studios are lying about how much they stand to lose. The black budgets of Hollywood are infamous in virtually every accounting circle. In addition to pure ticket sales, they have streaming and DVD sales as well as all merchandising. Plus any losses recouped from future uses by networks or licensing.

There's no way to actually lose money in the long run.
Would you say studios really report their losses, in a direct sense? I feel like we usually just kinda have to guess the loss based on raw box office numbers, the budget, and studio activity (if they move forward with a sequel).
..What mirror universe?