Voy: Threshold

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
TGLS
Captain

Re: Voy: Threshold

Post by TGLS »

Honestly I think the "why don't they just travel at high warp instead of infinite speed" could be solved by basically having the Delta flier get up to some ridiculous speed for a very short period of time before entering transwarp (technobabble about why they need to get to a high speed for transwarp here). And then transwarp gets screwed up by failing to go anywhere. Transwarp is supposed to launch the flier to a far off location, but in practice the nowhere interesting.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

TGLS wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:45 am Honestly I think the "why don't they just travel at high warp instead of infinite speed" could be solved by basically having the Delta flier get up to some ridiculous speed for a very short period of time before entering transwarp (technobabble about why they need to get to a high speed for transwarp here). And then transwarp gets screwed up by failing to go anywhere. Transwarp is supposed to launch the flier to a far off location, but in practice the nowhere interesting.
I guess you could make that part of the cold opening. Then the rest of the episode is about Tuvok's deep seated need to torture and kill Neelix. Saw Style.
I got nothing to say here.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Why bother with a plot when we could just have Tuvok torturing Neelix?
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Frustration wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:16 pm Why bother with a plot when we could just have Tuvok torturing Neelix?
That's easy. Space phenomena affects Vulcans and Tuvok takes it out on Neelix. Crew has a countdown to find both before Tuvok turns Neelix into Hedgehog shish kebob.

Theres the plot.
I got nothing to say here.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

Tom coming back to where he started because he felt Janeway being worried about him can actually make sense in the context of the traveler which established "That space and time and thought... aren't the separate things they appear to be? I just thought the formula you were using said something like that..."
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

drewder wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:45 am Tom coming back to where he started because he felt Janeway being worried about him can actually make sense in the context of the traveler which established "That space and time and thought... aren't the separate things they appear to be? I just thought the formula you were using said something like that..."
The Traveller is an interesting yet amazingly wasted concept. On the one hand, I really do think that at some point he was consigned to ''early TNG bullshit'' as Wesley being a god is seemingly forgotten by most episodes of the show (there is nothing godlike about the Wesley that helps kill half of his classmates and lies to Picard). But on the other, the Traveller keeps popping back completely out of the blue for various episodes as if just to say, ''hey guys, i'm still totally here y'know.'' The most glaring example of this is the episode where Crusher is trapped inside a warp bubble.

It kind of reminds me of how Q wanted to make Riker a Q in season 1 because he's ''the most interesting example of humanity'' and then is never, ever brought up again. In fact if anything, Q's early love affair with Riker is completely replaced by Picard and Janeway.

Basically what i'm saying is, I completely agree with you. You make an excellent point. Its just a pity that the show doesn't care about the Traveller until it absolutely does again.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:26 pm Basically what i'm saying is, I completely agree with you. You make an excellent point. Its just a pity that the show doesn't care about the Traveller until it absolutely does again.
Hey, everyone keeps forgetting that Wesley actually dropped his Starfleet-education and joined the Traveller and nobody bats an eyelash when he appears in Nemesis at the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade. That's like whenever a metric fuckton of data gets dropped into any of the hero ship's computer cores by the weekly negative space wedgie and never gets brought up or used in any way...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:46 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:26 pm Basically what i'm saying is, I completely agree with you. You make an excellent point. Its just a pity that the show doesn't care about the Traveller until it absolutely does again.
Hey, everyone keeps forgetting that Wesley actually dropped his Starfleet-education and joined the Traveller and nobody bats an eyelash when he appears in Nemesis at the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade. That's like whenever a metric fuckton of data gets dropped into any of the hero ship's computer cores by the weekly negative space wedgie and never gets brought up or used in any way...
Indeed. If i'm understanding the series of events here correctly he committed what was absolutely a court martial offence, ascended to a higher plane of existence, returned to the academy with no questions asked in order to get promoted higher than Harry Kim, and then according to PIC, at some point went ''bugger this noise'' to his commitments and career and ascended again. Wonderful writing.

Especially as it throws up all sorts of other plot holes like ''what was this Starfleet lieutenant who can teleport across the universe doing during the Dominion War? Why didn't he just beam into Cardassian central command with a phaser and end the war in five seconds flat?''

In fairness to PIC, the problem here rests entirely with NEM. Who would have thought that the guy who didn't know why Geordi had blue eyes wouldn't understand the Traveller, huh?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:47 pmIndeed. If i'm understanding the series of events here correctly he committed what was absolutely a court martial offence, ascended to a higher plane of existence, returned to the academy with no questions asked in order to get promoted higher than Harry Kim, and then according to PIC, at some point went ''bugger this noise'' to his commitments and career and ascended again. Wonderful writing.
Well, if alternate timelines are anything to go by, then pretty much everyone gets promoted higher than Harry Kim. I mean, even ambitionless Picard became Junior Lieutenant...
clearspira wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:47 pmEspecially as it throws up all sorts of other plot holes like ''what was this Starfleet lieutenant who can teleport across the universe doing during the Dominion War? Why didn't he just beam into Cardassian central command with a phaser and end the war in five seconds flat?''
To be fair, he could be under certain constraints like the various Time Polices. The Travellers are interdimensional and interchronological after all.
clearspira wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:47 pmIn fairness to PIC, the problem here rests entirely with NEM. Who would have thought that the guy who didn't know why Geordi had blue eyes wouldn't understand the Traveller, huh?
Wheaton could've denied the paycheck. He didn't care either. All the more funny, considering his cameo was cut from the theatrical version in the end. Ceterum censeo: Fuck Wheaton.

Fun-fact though, to be fair: The Nemesis-version of Wesley isn't the same version we see in Picard. Remember, the Hobus supernova happened in the Picard-timeline, which directly leads into Nero traveling to the past, screwing things up in Star Trek 2009. Technically, this could've lead to an alternate timeline in which Wesley never returned from his Travels until he does in this series. Heh. Kinda funny that this series of bullshit (Abrams-Trek) turns up in a Threshold-discussion.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox