Dystopian Science Fiction only reinforces the real world Status Quo

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Dystopian Science Fiction only reinforces the real world Status Quo

Post by Madner Kami »

hammerofglass wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:27 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:22 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:29 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:11 pm That's a very theoretical notion of a non-existent thing, if you ask me. Outside of conservative right leaning people, you're not going to find a lot of centrists who'd have a problem with treating trans-people as people.
I think that until recently, trans rights as a need to be protected issue was almost nonexistent on the political spectrum.
I think it's a far more recent thing than gay rights. This is just me, but trans rights seems to be a very recent thing. Like a dude being a chick was just part of the gay community being 'extra' at times.

Don't get me wrong I am all for anyone being comfortable in their own body. Means nothing to me personally. I may not understand it but I will respect it.
The weird part is that trans rights were kind of quietly getting where they need to be in the background a decade ago. Then the far right fear mongers realized they lost the culture war on gay marriage and turned their attention to a smaller weaker minority to keep the grift rolling.

The anti-drag thing that popped up like a year and a half ago and they immediately went all "we have always been at war with Oceana" about it, that I still have no clue what it's about. Maybe they just literally don't know the difference.
Or maybe they're just idiots desperately looking for something to project their insecurities and hatred upon and channel it, by adressing ever more fractally miniscule parts of a general battlefield they were continuously loosing on.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:05 am
hammerofglass wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:27 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:22 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:29 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:11 pm That's a very theoretical notion of a non-existent thing, if you ask me. Outside of conservative right leaning people, you're not going to find a lot of centrists who'd have a problem with treating trans-people as people.
I think that until recently, trans rights as a need to be protected issue was almost nonexistent on the political spectrum.
I think it's a far more recent thing than gay rights. This is just me, but trans rights seems to be a very recent thing. Like a dude being a chick was just part of the gay community being 'extra' at times.

Don't get me wrong I am all for anyone being comfortable in their own body. Means nothing to me personally. I may not understand it but I will respect it.
The weird part is that trans rights were kind of quietly getting where they need to be in the background a decade ago. Then the far right fear mongers realized they lost the culture war on gay marriage and turned their attention to a smaller weaker minority to keep the grift rolling.

The anti-drag thing that popped up like a year and a half ago and they immediately went all "we have always been at war with Oceana" about it, that I still have no clue what it's about. Maybe they just literally don't know the difference.
The other thing that happened is that people like Dylan Mulvaney ruined it for you. Because people like her changed the landscape from ''transpeople are just like you and me and just want to fit in'' to ''look at me, look at me, i'm trans!'' Transmen that get pregnant are the same. Its very hard to convince people that a woman wants to be a man when they are doing something that only women can do. It comes off as attention-seeking - especially when they appear on front of some magazine.

The assault on language is another. Discourse has gone from ''please call me by my preferred pronouns'' to ''you will literally lose your livelihood if you don't.''

You're right. Society was getting to where it needed to be a decade ago. And guess what? The Left damaged it just as much as the Right. To deny that is to be just as closed-minded as our friend above.

And regarding drag. People only started to care when they insisted on reading stories to their kids and in some cases even putting make-up on their sons.
So you're repeating the right wing talking point that drag queen story time is somehow grooming children, and you claim to be okay with trans people as long as they don't draw attention to being trans in any way shape or form. So what if some trans men want to give birth? How does that affect you? You seem to be offended by anything that threatens your binary notions of gender.

I think you feel the need to justify your centrism so you twist "trans people want to be accepted" into "trans rights have gone TOO FAR!" to keep the Both Sides Are Bad narrative going.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

There are trans people who truly feel deeply uncomfortable in their physiology and move heaven and earth to get surgery, change their legal sex, and live as the opposite sex.

There are also trans people who are narcissistic, insecure to the point of needing constant external reinforcement, and power-hungry.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:04 pm
I think you feel the need to justify your centrism so you twist "trans people want to be accepted" into "trans rights have gone TOO FAR!" to keep the Both Sides Are Bad narrative going.
I don't know if that's fair. Did clearspira ever actually claim to be centrist? He's a proud Tory who mentioned in another thread that he voted for Boris Johnson.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Frustration wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:21 pm There are trans people who truly feel deeply uncomfortable in their physiology and move heaven and earth to get surgery, change their legal sex, and live as the opposite sex.

There are also trans people who are narcissistic, insecure to the point of needing constant external reinforcement, and power-hungry.
So you're telling me, that they're like everybody else? Understood, thanks for acknowledging.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Like everyone else, the category includes both reasonable people and utter jerks.

Guess which kind tends to be more visible and therefore category-defining in the public mind.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Frustration wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:27 pm Like everyone else, the category includes both reasonable people and utter jerks.

Guess which kind tends to be more visible and therefore category-defining in the public mind.
So you're saying that every group of people is charaterized by the utter jerks in the public mind, and thus every group of people are utter jerks. Understood. A bit of a misanthropic point of view, if you ask me.
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Madner Kami wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:41 pm So you're saying that every group of people is charaterized by the utter jerks in the public mind
No, but the more people are aware of a group only through media portrayals, the more likely that group will be perceived as being made of utter jerks.

'Misanthropic' doesn't begin to describe me. I can like and respect individuals, but I loathe the human species as a collective and support its destruction, the sooner the better.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

My take on the subject was I used to be believe in absolute freedom in the law was the best way to protect people. I then realized that hate speech laws as well as laws forcing protections were needed because if the government didn't enforce protections then other people would make it so the law was not the oppressor but the abuser was.

Which is to say, "If you got rid of the government, you only create 10,000 tyrants."

So I favor weak government that enforces protections and does public works.
KuudereKun
Officer

Post by KuudereKun »

I agree with Civil Rights protection but not Hate Speech Laws because any Speech cna be claimed to be Hate Speech.