Star Trek Strange New Worlds (Season 2)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Star Trek Strange New Worlds (Season 2)

Post by CharlesPhipps »

It's fairly accurate to RL amnesia.

In RL you might not know you know how to ride a bike but you could if you got on one.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

I don't know how to characterize the most recent episode... it's all over the place.
Like, it wasn't entire bad, but it felt kind of... pointless. It's a typical Trek story about stuff taking place on a planet due to technobabble radiation, with a not so subtle social message. But, stuff just feels soulless. There's no fun or any deep meaning to the story, it's just... there. Feels like a S1 or S2 ENT episode, almost. And there were some bizzare choices:
-Smh there was an asteroid that blew up in orbit and rained down amnesic radiation, and by sheer chance the castle is made of the only stuff that can resist it. And nothing else on the planet is made of that stuff. And somehow the armor the guards wear can also protect its user from the radiation, I guess it's made out of castle stone, even though it barely covers them, because radiation somehow gets scared of the sight of radiation shielding. I guess actual radiation suits were too expensive for the episode's budget.
-Una's decision to maintain the Enterprise in the radiation zone, because Pike might be even more affected is incredibly stupid and unbelievable reckless, and pretty much proves that she should not be in Starfleet. Since they were already aware of the fact that said radiation will eventually cause them to lose all of their memories, the very first thing would have been to leave for a higher orbit, and wait to see if they can solve the effects of the radiation, and maybe even develop proper shielding against it. That way they can go back to the planet and rescue the landing party. I can't believe I have to say this, but literally everyone who's had military, firefighting or first responder training, or even just basic workplace safety, are taught to always be careful that when they try to rescue someone, they don't end up needing to be rescued as well. Instead, this episode, yet again, proves that a)the writers have no fucking clue how trained personnel are supposed to behave in times of crisis and b)these characters are not fit to lead anything but a hugging group, all of them are still stuck mentally in high school, what Chuck said in that Short Trek review also applies here.

This is one episode I really don't feel like rewatching it, even if I feel that I might have gotten some details wrong. I've seen other episodes involving the selective memory loss trope, in both OldTrek and Stargate, and I'd rather rewatch those, as lame as those were, than this one.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Mabus wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:54 pm-Smh there was an asteroid that blew up in orbit and rained down amnesic radiation, and by sheer chance the castle is made of the only stuff that can resist it.
I imagine the substance is something as common as lead and was constructed by the Ensign.

Which is to say you or I could be king on this planet as basic "resists radiation" is the one eye in the land of the blind.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:58 pm
Mabus wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:54 pm-Smh there was an asteroid that blew up in orbit and rained down amnesic radiation, and by sheer chance the castle is made of the only stuff that can resist it.
I imagine the substance is something as common as lead and was constructed by the Ensign.

Which is to say you or I could be king on this planet as basic "resists radiation" is the one eye in the land of the blind.
I don't think it's such a great idea to build a castle out of lead, for obvious reasons (it's too heavy). And if somehow a thin sheet of the "space lead" anti-radiation material is enough to give one immunity, then they shouldn't have had an issue making hundreds of protective material for everyone in the land, by the looks of it, the soldier's helmets was enough to block the radiation, I guess they work like Magneto's helmet.

Also, I don't think the ensign built the castle, since I doubt he could have built it in 1-2 days, which is the time it took for the radiation to make you forget everything. I think he just modified the building, or something, unless he already found a space lead helmet and wore it.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Mabus wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:21 pm I don't think it's such a great idea to build a castle out of lead, for obvious reasons (it's too heavy). And if somehow a thin sheet of the "space lead" anti-radiation material is enough to give one immunity, then they shouldn't have had an issue making hundreds of protective material for everyone in the land, by the looks of it, the soldier's helmets was enough to block the radiation, I guess they work like Magneto's helmet.

Also, I don't think the ensign built the castle, since I doubt he could have built it in 1-2 days, which is the time it took for the radiation to make you forget everything. I think he just modified the building, or something, unless he already found a space lead helmet and wore it.
You don't forget your skills which is the thing. The guy just has to build himself a helmet and then he would be able to put the helmets on his followers (who now have guns) and then enslave everyone else to build the castle--which he just needs to put in, as you say, some lead sheets in the ceiling.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

OK, I like the idea of Spock becoming full human. Would have worked better in TOS I think, but they would have never done a story like that back in the day.

Another Kirk being beating by Spock... Ha! Also the door closing on Pike as Spock blows up at Amanda gave me one of the best laughs in a while. I just want to add here if we're breaking down species by what they are best at and humans get lying... Well... I'm not sure that's a good thing.

I do love ever time someone call's Spock's human side a 'handicap' they get curb stomped be it mediocrity or literal.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Mabus wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:21 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:58 pm

I don't think it's such a great idea to build a castle out of lead, for obvious reasons (it's too heavy). And if somehow a thin sheet of the "space lead" anti-radiation material is enough to give one immunity, then they shouldn't have had an issue making hundreds of protective material for everyone in the land, by the looks of it, the soldier's helmets was enough to block the radiation, I guess they work like Magneto's helmet.

Honestly it sounds like his army head tin foil hats.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I don't think this was as entertaining as Spock Amock but I do think they've really done a good job modernizing Spock's "Am I human or Vulcan?" However, I also feel like they've made T'Pring a bit too much of a victim of what a crappy boyfriend Spock is. She's really made a huge effort to be accepting and meet Spock halfway (and then again) with Starfleet. The fact that Spock is clearly just not that into her and kind of leaving her hanging repeatedly is awful. Just dump the girl, Spock, as you'll both be happier. You're stringing her along in the classical sense.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Strange New Worlds seems to be taking a bold stance: what if T’pring did nothing wrong in Amok Time and Spock knows it.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

CmdrKing wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:22 pm Strange New Worlds seems to be taking a bold stance: what if T’pring did nothing wrong in Amok Time and Spock knows it.
Could have really gone another way? Spock acknowledged what she did was logical, so it's not as if he had any reason to agree with her just because.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu