Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:59 pm
And how was it to fit into irl themes of today?
I think it's interesting to view it from not an American critique but a critique of Britain and the EU.

Which is a nice change of pace.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:27 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:59 pm
And how was it to fit into irl themes of today?
I think it's interesting to view it from not an American critique but a critique of Britain and the EU.

Which is a nice change of pace.
Oh yeah? And what species is going to belong to which EU members? Klingons, Romulans?
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:44 pm
Oh yeah? And what species is going to belong to which EU members? Klingons, Romulans?
Federation = EU, Brexit

Romulans = Syrian Refugees
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:22 pmRead this line and dismissed your opinion on the show. Season was garbage through and through. :P
I don't think it's great, and certainly the worst season of the show, but I think it's a tad unfair dismissing it entirely. "Sheer fucking hubris" is honnestly deserved as Picard is being hilariously out of touch with his request and so I stand by that being a solid moment. Seven saying Picard needs a feather in his cap is the first line she had in the show where Jeri Ryan just nailed the old Voyager Seven like she'd never taken such a long break from the character, and some of that episode is reasonably fun with them going under cover. Patrick Stewart gets to play silly and I enjoyed that. Hugh is great in every scene he's in, until, well, y'know that thing that happened. Seven getting to be bi with first her ex and then being with Raffi at the end of the season is neat, and suuuuuuuuch an improvement of what she got in that respect in Voyager romances. Doctor, Chakotay, that grooming fuckwit from Unamatrix Zero, and poor dumb Harry, oh my.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:17 pm
Federation = EU, Brexit

Quite a strong sense of intolerant "anyone who disagrees with my political opinions must be eeevil!" about it.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Riedquat wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:16 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:17 pm
Federation = EU, Brexit

Quite a strong sense of intolerant "anyone who disagrees with my political opinions must be eeevil!" about it.
Speaking as a liberal progressive, the only thing we hate more than fascists are other liberal proressives.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

As a rule of thumb, the more a person demands tolerance of others, the less tolerant they are themselves.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Frustration wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:41 pm As a rule of thumb, the more a person demands tolerance of others, the less tolerant they are themselves.
Which is why many free speech absolutists are terrified of "woke" people.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

So I finally finished the season. Took me awhile due to real life stuff. Even though for the most part I avoided spoilers I knew what was going on due to YouTube and Facebook. Just not the details.

Technical side of it all, it does annoy me that the new Enterprise G looks to be a downgrade from F. Or that Geordi can pretty much treat the E-D like a project boat in his backyard.

The fan service is a bit much for my tastes too though not as much like Steve Shives. I think this season plus the previous two probably could have benefited from a more coherent three season story arc.

Like having the Founders being there from the beginning. The Borg only introduced in Season 2 and 3. Maybe the Borg Cube in Season 1 being a trojan horse of some kind.

Picard's son being involved earlier. Q being involved as well through all three seasons. Maybe making it all one final test for Jean Luc Picard.

Introduce the TNG crew incrementally through the first two seasons. More of the Riker/Worf banter. Some lines were cringey like Worf's threesome line followed by Riker's Do you hear yourself. That's just too on the nose bad writing for me. Word's line of finding swords more fun is funny to me and does make sense in character.
I got nothing to say here.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Forthecubs4 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:19 am I was hooked by the first few episodes of the season. However, the latter half of the season has been boring. The Borg didnt feel like a threat. In fact their lackeys- Vadic and the Shrike were a more credible. The last episode was just soppy schlock. I wish I had more to discuss. :(
Going through old posts.

This I do wish. We already had the Borg in the previous season. Vadic was more interesting. Perhaps because the actress made it, I don't know. But honestly the connection between the two was really flimsy.

You know some super Galactus shape-shifting blob in space would have been better. Do a Federation made its own enemy with the Space borne Blob.

Hell make it like the movie The Blob. Especially like the 80's version. That would have been interesting and new.
I got nothing to say here.