Brexit Done and Dusted

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Brexit Done and Dusted

Post by Madner Kami »

We haven't taken a dump on this pile in a while, so let's have a proper sitting:

Brussels tells EU states: Ignore UK on post-Brexit trade (Indipendent)
The EU has slapped down the UK government after it attempted to bypass Brussels on post-Brexit trade rules.

Documents obtained by The Independent show that the European Commission was unhappy after British officials asked each member state directly about their plans to cope with new checks on goods coming into the UK.

At one point, the commission told countries in the bloc to ignore the UK government completely. It then sent a memo telling member states to provide only “short general information” because of the “problematic” nature of the British request.

The commission later warned the UK that contacting each country directly was “outside” the terms of Boris Johnson’s Brexit trade deal – saying it was of “significant concern” since a proper response to British queries should be “harmonised at EU level”.

The rebuke emerged as Rishi Sunak’s government came under pressure from both the EU and British business bosses to spell out exactly how the latest controls on imports, due to come into force in October, will work.

[...]

Trade experts also said it had been “unwise” to try to go round Brussels chiefs, and that it was indicative of a “still-struggling relationship” ahead of another mountain of red tape for businesses across the continent to navigate.

One food industry expert said the memos showed “unhelpful friction” between the UK and the EU at a time when they should be working together to avoid major disruption later this year.

The issue began on 2 June, when officials from the UK’s Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) sent a message to EU member states asking each to fill out a questionnaire on their readiness to deal with new controls on food and agriculture trade.

[...]

After telling members of the bloc that it was “harmonising” communication with the UK, the commission then shared its own list of more than 70 questions for London – grilling British officials on preparations for the import controls set to come into force on 31 October.

[...]
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

"At one point, the commission told countries in the bloc."

i.e. "shut up and do as you're told." And some people wonder why some wanted Brexit. There's the whole problem in a nutshell. Surrendering sovereignty, and to an undemocratic body at that.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

You know, I might actually believe you if Hungary wasn't flaunting their autonomy for stupid bullshit.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Riedquat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:56 pm "At one point, the commission told countries in the bloc."

i.e. "shut up and do as you're told." And some people wonder why some wanted Brexit. There's the whole problem in a nutshell. Surrendering sovereignty, and to an undemocratic body at that.
Lol. Every country underwrites to only do trade as a bloc, when they join the EU. It's part of the very charta every country of the bloc chooses to follow. It's far from undemocratic and "the EU telling governments". Your narrative is crocked.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:47 pm
Riedquat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:56 pm "At one point, the commission told countries in the bloc."

Lol. Every country underwrites to only do trade as a bloc, when they join the EU. It's part of the very charta every country of the bloc chooses to follow. It's far from undemocratic and "the EU telling governments". Your narrative is crocked.
Riedquat is right. Gotta add, isn't it interesting how big the Far Right has become in Europe? Remind me as to what kind of person has come second in France's elections on the last two attempts? All is not happy in the house of the Federal Republic of Europe. The EU would never risk giving anyone under its control a referendum because they would be terrified of the result.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

You wanted to be a third country, they're treating you like a third country. This is what you voted for.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

hammerofglass wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:36 pm You wanted to be a third country, they're treating you like a third country. This is what you voted for.
We voted for freedom. And what amuses me is how many Americans stick their nose into this subject despite the fact that you fought a WAR to not have your affairs dictated to by a government across the water. You should be on our side.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

clearspira wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:06 am
hammerofglass wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:36 pm You wanted to be a third country, they're treating you like a third country. This is what you voted for.
We voted for freedom. And what amuses me is how many Americans stick their nose into this subject despite the fact that you fought a WAR to not have your affairs dictated to by a government across the water. You should be on our side.
You got your freedom, and now you won't stop complaining about it.

Plus it drove you right into committing even more strongly to being dependent on your place in the American Hegemony so not so much "free" as "under new management".
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

hammerofglass wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:16 amYou got your freedom, and now you won't stop complaining about it.

Plus it drove you right into committing even more strongly to being dependent on your place in the American Hegemony so not so much "free" as "under new management".
It's like a story from someone who used to be unionized and a voting member of the Union's central comittee (with veto rights). He was unhappy with what the Union achieved and he thought he could get a better salary and more vacation by negotiating with his employer directly, so he left the union and negotiated. But since he was now alone and had no work-contract thanks to not being part of the union-contract, the employer refused to pay more, give more vacation or at least let him work less hard, so he was forced to take a contract where he earned less, had to work harder and enter the factory through a small, inconveniently placed side-door, rather than the big main gate right next to the parking space and bus-stop. Yet he still prides himself, because he negotiated his contract himself and "is free". :roll:
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Except the union is corrupt and selling out the workers to management, and neither the union members nor the free agents can bring themselves to acknowledge that the manufacturing industry is collapsing and their factory's days are numbered.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984