The Left was Anti-War even during the lead up to WW2 (and the Right was not)

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
KuudereKun
Officer

Re: The Left was Anti-War even during the lead up to WW2 (and the Right was not)

Post by KuudereKun »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:09 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:37 pm Yes the Centrist Liberals are just War Mongers more selective about which War.
I mean the Left has never been defined as pacifist. A lot of pacifists lean Left but it's not a fundamental of Leftist ideology.

Especially since revolution is a large part of Leftist rhetoric in many countries.

So I'm not sure, "Yes, they choose which war to support based on exigent circumstances" is the argument you think it is.
Revolution and Foreign Policy are different things. The Russian Revolution was lead by those who opposed entering WWI, and likewise the French Revolution partly happened because of French intervention in the great WASP Civil War of 1776.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: The Left was Anti-War even during the lead up to WW2 (and the Right was not)

Post by CharlesPhipps »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:23 pmRevolution and Foreign Policy are different things. The Russian Revolution was lead by those who opposed entering WWI, and likewise the French Revolution partly happened because of French intervention in the great WASP Civil War of 1776.
Yeah but Post-Revolution Soviet Policy was defined very often by interventionism and promotion of communist values. The irony of the Great Murderer, Stalin, taking over the Soviet Union was in large part due to the fact his associates were afraid of Trotsky's desire to spread the Revolution globally no matter the cost.
KuudereKun
Officer

Post by KuudereKun »

That's why the Left SRs were better.
KuudereKun
Officer

Post by KuudereKun »

I'd like to add a clarification that in the OP I was for the purpose of the topic at hand defining The Center as FDR.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:47 pm I'd like to add a clarification that in the OP I was for the purpose of the topic at hand defining The Center as FDR.
Employer based healthcare is pretty centrist, but Medicare is left-wing.
..What mirror universe?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:22 am
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:47 pm I'd like to add a clarification that in the OP I was for the purpose of the topic at hand defining The Center as FDR.
*laughs in European*
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:41 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:22 am
*laughs in European*
Yeah, that was a bit of a WTF?! statement.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Well Medicare was actually established in the 60's and thus isn't part of the New Deal initiative itself. So that leaves FDR fighting for a centrist policy convention.

I'm not sure why everybody has a fit about the idea that centrism is still left of right-wing.

Granted though, the EU seems pretty effective with their carrot and stick game.
..What mirror universe?
KuudereKun
Officer

Post by KuudereKun »

I'm starting to think i erred in listing Theodore G. Bilbo as one of the exception to Sothern Democrats being pro War, I must have misread something.

I also erred in implying the Trotsykists might have been as inconsistent as the Stalinists, all three factions of American Trotskyists consistent opposed the War.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:53 am I'm starting to think i erred in listing Theodore G. Bilbo as one of the exception to Sothern Democrats being pro War, I must have misread something.

I also erred in implying the Trotsykists might have been as inconsistent as the Stalinists, all three factions of American Trotskyists consistent opposed the War.
I didn’t want to come off too remedial on the uptake, but how does this impact your original sentiments?
..What mirror universe?