Lower Decks Season 4

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
m4a2000
Officer

Lower Decks Season 4

Post by m4a2000 »

The new season is here with a double episode drop right before Star Trek day! OK... Let's get into the first one and... Oh... Oh no.

There is a lot to like and cringe at in Twovix. How much do you think Gordie had to remove from Voyager after he got it at the fleet museum? Also the throw away line from Michael Sullivan, "I miss my wife." Really puts "delete the wife" into perspective.

I'm not sure I want to TOUCH the namesake of this episode, my mind jumped to Akira after the mass transport. Most of the cringe for me comes from this part. The comedy kind of sucks or is expected. I mean I expect a joke, but knowing the joke before it is told ruins it. It has happened before in the show yet not on this level for me

I loved the stuff on Voyager and to me showed growth. Also seeing Ransom not being a tool was good.

Need to rewatch episode 2, but here we are: Outside of Discovery this might be the last we get of new Trek due to the writers/actors strike. (This I am not sure of as I have no idea how much was filmed before the strikes took place for Discovery, Strange New Worlds, and Prodigy)
Last edited by m4a2000 on Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Lower Decks Season 4

Post by clearspira »

How much after VOY is this set anyway? Voyager at the end of season 7 was... 7 years old. 8 at the most. And equipped with technology capable of making a Borg cube its bitch (which admittedly became shamefully easy after their first two appearances but regardless). And this is the ship that Starfleet is turning into a museum piece?

Unless LD season 4 is set twenty years later then this is nonsense. Even the NX-01 made in 10 years BTW.

Your last paragraph is very true. The Hollywood/TV/streaming landscape is going to look radically different when these strikes are all over. Hundreds of contracts cancelled. Studios losing millions. Writers are losing their homes. There will be no time in the near future for product that isn't selling. That doesn't automatically mean that NuTrek will be on the chopping block but you better believe that there will be no more ''lets give Picard two seasons to get good'' I guarantee you that.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:10 pm How much after VOY is this set anyway? Voyager at the end of season 7 was... 7 years old. 8 at the most. And equipped with technology capable of making a Borg cube its bitch (which admittedly became shamefully easy after their first two appearances but regardless). And this is the ship that Starfleet is turning into a museum piece?

Unless LD season 4 is set twenty years later then this is nonsense. Even the NX-01 made in 10 years BTW.

Your last paragraph is very true. The Hollywood/TV/streaming landscape is going to look radically different when these strikes are all over. Hundreds of contracts cancelled. Studios losing millions. Writers are losing their homes. There will be no time in the near future for product that isn't selling. That doesn't automatically mean that NuTrek will be on the chopping block but you better believe that there will be no more ''lets give Picard two seasons to get good'' I guarantee you that.
I want to say 2380. Not sure how much time has progressed within the series though.

If Voyager didn't have a reset button making the ship shiny and pristine every episode I could totally buy in Voyager being retired early. Like she actually suffered damage that, was patched, not repaired.

Like imagine Voyager by the end of Year of Hell finally making it to Earth in Endgame.

Or maybe when they tested and finally stripped Voyager of her Batarmor and Borg popping weapons, she was done.

Or... Seeing how Picard is showing a full replacement of the fleet with new ships (with the Sovereign class replacing the Excelsior class as the old ship), maybe the Intrepid class was replaced earlier than expected. Seems like Starfleet classes are replaced rapidly nowadays.
I got nothing to say here.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

clearspira wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:10 pm How much after VOY is this set anyway? Voyager at the end of season 7 was... 7 years old. 8 at the most. And equipped with technology capable of making a Borg cube its bitch (which admittedly became shamefully easy after their first two appearances but regardless). And this is the ship that Starfleet is turning into a museum piece?
The simple math says over 3 years (Voyager ended 2378 and season 4 of LD is 2381 which is based off of Stardate numbers). Honestly, yeah, I can see it being turned into a museum piece that quick. Besides the whole story of it coming back from across the galaxy it acts as a time piece of a pre-war Federation. I can see the brass or those in the UFP wanting it to be preserved to show they are committed to going back to that time as a power... Not time travel.

Quick edit: Prodigy takes place in 2383 which has Voyager A at the end of the season.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
hypocratus
Redshirt

Post by hypocratus »

Or because Voyager used gel packs, which seem to have been a failure, it was decommissioned early as it would be very difficult to replace them all.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

The whole ship goes down because someone made cheese ONE TIME and suddenly it's a stupid idea...
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Gel-packs weren't a dead end. Enterprise-E used them as well and it's reasonable to assume, that they're a standard component in the post-voyager timeline, hence nobody mentions them specifically. Though they appear not to be as prominent as they were on Voyjager, given what we see on screen.

Source: The Q Continuum triology
In The Q Continuum trilogy, it was revealed that the USS Enterprise-E also possessed the gel packs. During the story, Reginald Barclay discovered that the gel packs were capable of absorbing the psionic energy of the galactic barrier, prompting him to suggest that the crew channel the resulting energy into the Enterprise's shields so that they could increase the time that they could remain in the barrier when attempting to hide from the Calamarain.
It is also mentioned in that series, that even the probes utilized during the course of the action, utilize gel packs.

The Star Trek: Corps of Engineers eBook series also mentions them in various installments. Deep Space 10 uses them, for example, according to CoE: Troubleshooting. CoE: The Future Begins says a few things about them and mentions their installment on the Souvereign-class.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

YEah, then again I pretty sure the days of getting two seasons to get good been over by a decade atleast. You kinda have to get the ground running, then again we are getting one season getting it cut in half and then told it two seasons.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Organic tech in general is a very nice relic of the 1990s and 2000s that you do not see much any more. The only advantage seems to be ''my ship can heal'' which unless they are healing at the speed of Wolverine I fail to see how that is superior to a bit of metal nailed over the hole. From Moya/Talyn in Farscape to the Wraith in Stargate, the only thing having your ship being partly alive seems to achieve is more problems.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Hey couldn't they put the tuvix creature mind in something and then divide them.