Hamas Attacks Israel

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Hamas Attacks Israel

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

It’s also not terribly easy for another country (including the US) to hijack the narrative in third party manner.
..What mirror universe?
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

BBally81 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:06 pm Image

This statement from Sesame Street represents my view on the whole situation.
And mine. Hamas needs to be taken out, but I am concerned that Israel is teetering on the verge of becoming a fascist state and the USA might be encouraging it if we are not careful.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:16 pm It’s also not terribly easy for another country (including the US) to hijack the narrative in third party manner.
Fair enough, but I am skeptical of anything Israel or Hamas has to say on this subject, after all the first casualty of war is always the truth.

CNN did a summary of what each side is saying about the hospital blast.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/18/middleea ... index.html

Roughly; Israel and Hamas are blaming each other for the incident. US intelligence suggests that someone tried to launch a rocket near the hospital but it exploded on the ground making more of an accident than an attack.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

phantom000 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:46 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:16 pm It’s also not terribly easy for another country (including the US) to hijack the narrative in third party manner.
Fair enough, but I am skeptical of anything Israel or Hamas has to say on this subject, after all the first casualty of war is always the truth.

CNN did a summary of what each side is saying about the hospital blast.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/18/middleea ... index.html

Roughly; Israel and Hamas are blaming each other for the incident. US intelligence suggests that someone tried to launch a rocket near the hospital but it exploded on the ground making more of an accident than an attack.
That would explain why it mostly damaged the parking lot.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

clearspira wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:20 am 50 Muslim majority countries.
15 Christian majority countries.
10 Catholic majority countries.
7 Buddhist majority countries.
3 Hindu majority countries.
1 Jewish majority country.

I'll counter your ''asking the wrong question'' with another ''asking the wrong question.''
Why does everyone else get more countries than the Jews by a multiple factors?
I see this list and all I can think is that the homogeneity is a huge problem, and the cause of a lot of this strife. Instead of wanting more us-versus-them geography, we need less.

Integration is certainly no panacea, but apartheid is never a solution.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Deledrius wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:32 pm
clearspira wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:20 am 50 Muslim majority countries.
15 Christian majority countries.
10 Catholic majority countries.
7 Buddhist majority countries.
3 Hindu majority countries.
1 Jewish majority country.

I'll counter your ''asking the wrong question'' with another ''asking the wrong question.''
Why does everyone else get more countries than the Jews by a multiple factors?
I see this list and all I can think is that the homogeneity is a huge problem, and the cause of a lot of this strife. Instead of wanting more us-versus-them geography, we need less.

I think it's more like the expectation of homogeneity, the idea that everyone is supposed to be the same tends to create more problems. Jews wanting to create a new state where they can feel safe, fine, I can get behind that but when you start driving out the people who were already there, just because they are not like you, that is where you have crossed a line and you lost any moral grounds you had.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

phantom000 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:52 pm
clearspira wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:40 pm
I think this picture puts things into perspective somewhat. If not Israel - where? Where do the Jews get to have their one single country?
I think you're asking the wrong question. The real issue here is not where but why; why do the Jews need to have their one single country? What makes them so special they get to push everyone else out of the way?
I like where you’re getting with this here. On this case I’m actually leaning with clearspira, but the question hereafter is who at all needs a country. They historically establish themselves through a profusely broad development of culture, and it’s not like people got together and divied up the world. But on that token, the collective overpowered strength of Arab populated countries can’t appropriate any state incorporation over another single Arab culture.

If anything they should have just made it a UN state more than an Arab or Jewish.

And as an aside, that historical stigma should probably be stipulated explicitly before making international doctrines that are supported mostly by it.
..What mirror universe?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Does anyone even know why this is happening?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Deledrius wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:32 pm I see this list and all I can think is that the homogeneity is a huge problem, and the cause of a lot of this strife. Instead of wanting more us-versus-them geography, we need less.

I mean you've hit on an element that's the core of the issue.

Palestinians don't want to be part of Israel.

Israelis don't want Palestinians to be part of Israel.

But Israeli's refuse to admit that the Palestinians are entitled to the land they're living on. The problem is that every time they came close to recognizing the land, the extreme Right in Israel attacks the leaders who do so...including assassinating one of their Prime Ministers.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:36 pm Does anyone even know why this is happening?
I mean, this is a vast oversimplification but the probable reason as to, "Why now?"

A. Israel was given a free reign by Donald Trump to make a shit ton more settlements to expand into Palestinian territory. These include Donald Trump named neighborhoods. This combined with the fact that no concessions were made to Palestinian authority as they tended to be forced under Obama and Bush of all people made things worse.
B. Iran has been expanding its reach into Palestine and radicalizing people for the past decade, Solemani (the guy Trump killed) having adopted a policy of proxy wars that have been expanding its reach ala the CIA in the Eighties for maximum ironies sake. Iran REALLY hates Netanyahu for his attempts to get the USA to invade under Obama and fearmongering about the government.
C. Egypt has closed the border due to its own instability and this has made pressures on Palestines civilians much-much harder both supply wise and movement wise.
D. Netanyahu is actually widely considered to be a weak armchair general and paper tiger who would vastly overreact while also fail miserably at actually providing security due to the fact his government is a bunch of political cronies and incompetent yes men.