Hamas Attacks Israel

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Hamas Attacks Israel

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:18 pm So the genocide continues and the president is backing it all the way. I feel sick knowing that I voted for Biden.
Biden seems to have the strategy that by trying to support Israel he can try to stop things, bringing humanitarian aid and pulling back from the worst things they could do. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Well providing unconditional support to a power engaged in active genocide tends to help the genocide happen.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

That article literally says the opposite of "backing [a genocide] all the way". At the very least it presents a much more nuanced position.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

"No red lines" sounds like unconditional support to me.

Anyway internet in Gaza is going dark. No way to document the genocide.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

On a lighter note, DeSantis made an inexplicable false claim that Florida had sent military aid to Israel that was instantly called out. No idea how he thought that was going to help him.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 023-10-26/
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

hammerofglass wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:39 pm On a lighter note, DeSantis made an inexplicable false claim that Florida had sent military aid to Israel that was instantly called out. No idea how he thought that was going to help him.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 023-10-26/
I don't claim to be an expert but Florida isn't exactly known for its armament industry, so where is the governor supposed to be getting these drones and munitions? Did he just buy out a bunch of local gun stores or something?
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

On the humanitarian front the UN has called for a truce.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/u- ... ocialshare

Interesting that the Israeli ambassador said the UN was no longer legitimate or relevant and that a resolution aimed at humanitarian aid will be remembered as 'a day of infamy.'

Israel is not making themselves look like the good guys in this situation.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:18 pm So the genocide continues and the president is backing it all the way. I feel sick knowing that I voted for Biden.
Genocide is a word that people love to throw around nowadays. I saw it used a lot when Russia attacked Ukraine. Thing is, it's not a synonym for ''a terrible thing happening'' it actually has a very specific meaning.

''The deliberate killing of a large number of people from a particular nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying that nation or group.''

Israel's aim is not to kill off Muslims for the sake of killing off Muslims nor is it to destroy the Palestinians as a people. They are trying to kill Hamas. The elephant in the room here is that Hamas's actions against Israel is far closer to the definition of genocide because they ARE deliberately trying to indiscriminately murder Jews and Israeli's.

BTW, you have a two party system. Your choice was Trump or Biden. Feeling sick for voting in Biden implies that you either had a third choice or that Trump would be doing something different. Do you think Trump would be doing something different right now? If anything, Putin would probably be knocking on Poland's door right about now and thus we would have two massively destabilised and blood-soaked places to think about as opposed to one and a half.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

phantom000 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:31 pm On the humanitarian front the UN has called for a truce.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/u- ... ocialshare

Interesting that the Israeli ambassador said the UN was no longer legitimate or relevant and that a resolution aimed at humanitarian aid will be remembered as 'a day of infamy.'

Israel is not making themselves look like the good guys in this situation.
I can absolutely agree with that. Although lets be perfectly honest with ourselves: the UN hasn't been legitimate or relevant for a long, long time. What has it actually achieved since its conception given how it has no teeth whatsoever to enforce anything that it says? Most countries ignore it regularly and with impunity and the decision to have five permanent members that cannot be kicked out and whom have veto power over any of its major decisions has kicked it in the nuts again and again. Its only marginally better than the organisation it replaced, the League of Nations, in that a world war has yet to break out. Yet.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:28 pm
BTW, you have a two party system. Your choice was Trump or Biden. Feeling sick for voting in Biden implies that you either had a third choice or that Trump would be doing something different. Do you think Trump would be doing something different right now? If anything, Putin would probably be knocking on Poland's door right about now and thus we would have two massively destabilised and blood-soaked places to think about as opposed to one and a half.
Trump did give that weird speech that Hamas was very clever in their attack and Israel was so ungrateful for everything he did for them, so honestly who knows.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.