Lower Decks Season 4

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Al-1701
Officer

Re: Lower Decks Season 4

Post by Al-1701 »

This is episode gave me final proof that the Lower Decks writers are SFDebris fans. I mean, the fact they mention botany specifically can't be a coincidence.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

From what the last episode showed and a preview on Twitter I have to ask how old is Mariner? If she was a freshman when 'The First Duty' happened she has to be in her 30s. This is assuming she joined at 18.

That would also mean she's been doing her crazy stuff through a war.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

m4a2000 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:46 pm From what the last episode showed and a preview on Twitter I have to ask how old is Mariner? If she was a freshman when 'The First Duty' happened she has to be in her 30s. This is assuming she joined at 18.

That would also mean she's been doing her crazy stuff through a war.
Early thirties sounds right. She has academy classmates with their own commands and served in the Dominion War; she's been in for a good while.

I believe the story about her academy friend who died serving on the Enterprise was the TNG episode Lower Decks, so that's twelve years at the beginning of the series.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

First Duty was set in 2368. Lower Decks is set in 2380+. I am Not sure how much time has progressed in since the pilot of episode of Lower Decks. Anyway assuming she is at least a Freshman in the Academy then her birth year would be roughly 2349-2350.

So by the Lower Decks she would be 30-31. During the Dominion War she would have graduated from the Academy and been in the fleet for a year or two. So I can see that war messing her up.

She may have been a model student and officer before the war for all we know.
I got nothing to say here.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Al-1701 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:01 am This is episode gave me final proof that the Lower Decks writers are SFDebris fans. I mean, the fact they mention botany specifically can't be a coincidence.
I dunno, I think it could be a coincidence. Still it wouldn't exactly surprise me if they were into SFDebris either.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

It just clicked that Dawnn Lewis also played Blabberwort the Troll in The Tenth Kingdom and now I'm going to think of that every scene Captain Freeman is in.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Just got caught up, but I have to say that I had the exact same reaction to this episode. "I just wanted to be a botanist!"
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

That was great. Only reason it's not the best finale of the show so far is that No Small Parts was just that measurable amount of better.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

Great they got so many actors back to voice their former roles. This was a fun romp and now we wait for more Trek.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

This is two villains in a row who probably would have been decent people if they had friends instead of just followers and Starfleet mental health monitoring didn't suck.