Lower Decks Season 4

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Riedquat
Captain

Re: Lower Decks Season 4

Post by Riedquat »

hammerofglass wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:18 am This is two villains in a row who probably would have been decent people if they had friends instead of just followers and Starfleet mental health monitoring didn't suck.
I think Locarno's just fundamentally a jerk to be honest, all ego and self-centredness.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Riedquat wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:28 am
hammerofglass wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:18 am This is two villains in a row who probably would have been decent people if they had friends instead of just followers and Starfleet mental health monitoring didn't suck.
I think Locarno's just fundamentally a jerk to be honest, all ego and self-centredness.
So was Mariner at the beginning of the series, and I'm just now realizing what they did there.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

hammerofglass wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:25 am
So was Mariner at the beginning of the series, and I'm just now realizing what they did there.
True, and she was completely unbearable, but she was also a character without a background at that point, whereas Locarno was established years ago.

IIRC Robert Duncan McNeill described Locarno as a bad guy trying to act like a nice one, and Paris the other way around. They've been trying to shift Mariner in to the latter (to a reasonable degree of success, because I don't loathe her like I did at first).
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

m4a2000 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:08 am Great they got so many actors back to voice their former roles. This was a fun romp and now we wait for more Trek.
It's legit deeply cool that they managed to get back Sito's actress who hasn't done anything on screen since '95. Wil Wheaton is much less impressive compared to that.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

stryke wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:22 pmWil Wheaton is much less impressive compared to that.
That's not difficult, given Wheaton is about as impressive as a cup of three days old coffee left on the counter.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I think Wil Wheaton does a great job and resent his ill-treatment at the hands of the fandom. Wesley's problem was Gene and the writing, not the actor.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
MightyDavidson
Officer

Post by MightyDavidson »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:16 pm I think Wil Wheaton does a great job and resent his ill-treatment at the hands of the fandom. Wesley's problem was Gene and the writing, not the actor.
Agree wholeheartedly. None of his fellow cast members seem to have anything bad to say about him after all.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

DIdn't think anyone had an issue with Wil Wheaton, rather than Wesley.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I like the idea that Tom Paris and Lorcano are identical thematically versus just the same actor. It's just that Tom Paris got mentored by Janeway and the Voyager crew as well as accepted the chance at redemption. Lorcano, instead, stewed for a decade or more in his own bitterness and when offered a chance of redemption by Mariner, refused it.

That's not bad writing.
Riedquat wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:38 pm DIdn't think anyone had an issue with Wil Wheaton, rather than Wesley.
"The First Duty" is kind of a thing that you either accepted as a fan or you didn't because it's one of the best episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation (if not the franchise) and could only have been done with Wesley. It also showed that Wil Wheaton is a perfectly fine (if not really good) actor that was given crap material to work with. Big Bang Theory and his years of post-Trek work also shows he's a very good comedian when allowed to be. I even enjoyed his work on REDSHIRTS and his books.

But really, I think the problem is sci-fi fans have a not-inconsiderable number of assholes who love taking cheap shots.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Riedquat wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:38 pm DIdn't think anyone had an issue with Wil Wheaton, rather than Wesley.
Okay to be fair I can think of a couple of things.

He's said some things about who was banging who on the set which was just kind of crass in terms of airring dirty laundry, and I can't imagine were appreciated by everyone involved.

He promised a follow up to his first half of season one retrospectives, most of which were just edited versions of one's he'd already done online, and never got round to doing so. Likely as that he'd have needed to do them from scratch rather than just redoing work he'd already done. That one annoyed ms as I personally brought the first book on the expectation it was funding the second which was the one I was more interested in as it'd be all new content.

Big one though was him throwing a member of his staff under the bus in regard to his tabletop youtube series. If you need an example of him contravening his whole don't be a dick ethos that was it.