The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I think it because it the second woman lead super hero movie that does well, and they know there little they can do against Wonder woman.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:37 pm
clearspira wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:45 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:55 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:52 pm So I'm not up enough on anti-woke lore to get the obsession with Disney ticket sales. Is there some apocalyptic prophecy that if they lose money on a film then it's the first step towards the promised land or what?

Because if it's an "own the libs" thing you should really know that we hate Disney too.
Captain Marvel is like the white whale of "go woke go broke." After Ghostbusters, everyone assumed that the reviews were tapping into a silent majority only for them to be wildly, hilariously wrong about Captain Marvel. So they really want this to fail.
''Captain Marvel'' made a billion dollars because it came out between Infinity War and Endgame AKA the absolute height of the MCU. They could have released that cat stream and made a billion dollars.
Yeah, you'd been crowing about how Captain Marvel will bomb, I won't take this attempt at an "it doesn't count" retcon seriously.

What I don't understand is why you have such a popcorn kernel shard wedged in your gumline about Captain Marvel in the first place. Why does this movie so offend your sensibilities?
I note that you can't actually dispute what I said. The go-to resort of anyone losing an argument is to go to ad hominem attacks.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:50 am I think it because it the second woman lead super hero movie that does well, and they know there little they can do against Wonder woman.
What do mean ''do against Wonder Woman?''

Wonder Woman was a good film.

Oh... hang on... I get it. You think that I am automatically against female led films. Sorry to disapoint you, but I have had a crush on Ripley and Sarah Connor for 30 years. Strong women are not the problem - focusing your entire business model against your core demographic is the problem. 65% of the people who went and saw The Marvels were male. Even when targeted towards women they still do not go and watch it. And that is Variety and Forbes saying that btw.

I levy to you the same question I posed to Phipps. Where have all of Captain Marvel's fans gone since 2019? Billion dollar movie to worst opening in MCU history. Clearly none of her viewers actually stuck around.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Is interesting other than wonder woman your two examples are from decades ago.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:17 pm Is interesting other than wonder woman your two examples are from decades ago.
You may have noticed that I think that most films and shows have sucked for a significant amount of time.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Here's a good video going into the subjects raised here if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB6sAwS3Acg
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Didn't you get in a snit like two weeks ago because someone compared you to channels like that?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

clearspira wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:19 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:17 pm Is interesting other than wonder woman your two examples are from decades ago.
You may have noticed that I think that most films and shows have sucked for a significant amount of time.
Either that or you being toxic and deliberately unpleasable I will choose the later because you are.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:23 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:37 pm
clearspira wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:45 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:55 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:52 pm So I'm not up enough on anti-woke lore to get the obsession with Disney ticket sales. Is there some apocalyptic prophecy that if they lose money on a film then it's the first step towards the promised land or what?

Because if it's an "own the libs" thing you should really know that we hate Disney too.
Captain Marvel is like the white whale of "go woke go broke." After Ghostbusters, everyone assumed that the reviews were tapping into a silent majority only for them to be wildly, hilariously wrong about Captain Marvel. So they really want this to fail.
''Captain Marvel'' made a billion dollars because it came out between Infinity War and Endgame AKA the absolute height of the MCU. They could have released that cat stream and made a billion dollars.
Yeah, you'd been crowing about how Captain Marvel will bomb, I won't take this attempt at an "it doesn't count" retcon seriously.

What I don't understand is why you have such a popcorn kernel shard wedged in your gumline about Captain Marvel in the first place. Why does this movie so offend your sensibilities?
I note that you can't actually dispute what I said. The go-to resort of anyone losing an argument is to go to ad hominem attacks.
I guess you don't have an answer for my question then.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

I deplore the M-She-U comments cause it seems to me that it just is 'women? WOMEN BAD!' and doesn't account for what is really killing the MCU.

1. Too much. This is hugely saturated and just comes off that they're factory turning them. MCU movies used to be an event, a fuck yeah here it is. Now it feels meh and boring, cause it happens so much! They need to curate this more, pivot back to six films. MAYBE 2 shows, but 6 movies in a 3 year phase. Not 9 in two years.

2. Less care. It's obvious the actual quality has gone down, and why? Number one. They're making so much, so there is no time for care. These films have to come out NOW! No actual time to care for what we're making, we gotta make a billion dollars with this film that oh no lost us money.

3. General apathy. People... don't watch MCU cause we got shit in lives and now we need to be more careful with our money. Economy is garbage cause of a lot so watching all these films as they go on, nah I need to save up. I spent 7 dollars to watch with my wife a film at my local theatre, where big movie experiences are now like 30 bucks for the same thing. People are selective, and sadly, MCU is not gonna win all the time.

People saying it's cause of 'SJW's and the like... are just idiots who need to shut the fuck up. It was never social justice that ruined the MCU, it was bad writing. This is something assholes and idiots cannot fathom, and frankly, a lot of their arguments DO come off as bigoted. Yes, sometimes it can be cringe how BADLY it is done, but the actual message of 'perhaps women can save the day' OFFENDING YOU, makes you the soyboy. Not the reverse.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.