The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Well, I got out to see it in theaters.

Honestly? I thought it was good. They utilized the quirky concept of the swapping pretty well, there was some pretty clever setup and payoff with the evacuation solution, and as everyone else says Iman Vellani delivered a marvelouse performance with compelling vulnerability. The visuals were great. My biggest fault with it is that I must deduct points for using an evil scheme featured in Spaceballs.

For people saying the writing is shitty, the writing is...well, about what I expect from a Marvel movie, not dramatically better or worse. You can think Marvel in general is a shit product, but I don't see why anyone would think this is markedly worse than most of their other efforts.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:01 pm Aye. I just can't help but think that the MCU is a Millenial property just as Star Wars is a Gen X property. Oh, that doesn't mean everyone else cannot enjoy it, but I think that those moments where they had become our cultural zeitgeist was fuelled by those generations in particular. Now both have taken up their place as "just another thing" rather than being an event.
Indeed. There are certain qualities of a work that lend themselves to speaking to the concerns, aspirations, and/or topics of the people of the day (often intentionally), and that can also fall out of relevance. Sometimes it does come back around, too. That's harder to do on purpose though. Usually it's a pile of happenstance that it resurfaces with the right people at the right time.

The MCU could find the right hook to grab the attentions of new audiences, but cynical studio execs aren't typically the ones to steer that particular ship successfully.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I’ve never seen any of this person’s videos but I think what he’s saying right here is pretty interesting. Mind you, he’s not saying that this is all definitely going to happen, but it’s just a collection of ideas that he’s hypothesizing over.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qxfRfduKtLo
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:18 am I’ve never seen any of this person’s videos but I think what he’s saying right here is pretty interesting. Mind you, he’s not saying that this is all definitely going to happen, but it’s just a collection of ideas that he’s hypothesizing over.

The MCU needs to reboot. Again, regardless of what anyone thinks of my opinions as to why the MCU collapsed, it seems pretty obvious that it has. Bridges have been burned, continuity is a mess, loose-ends are everywhere, the main villain of Phase 4 and 5 might be a wife beater, and it requires you to buy Disney Plus to actually understand it. Time to end this and start from the beginning.

I think it was a BIG mistake to introduce the X-Men into this film, especially this God-awful CGI monstrosity of a Kelsey Grammer. This should have been an event of its own, not some stinger that most people will only know of because of Youtube. And this of course is a another reason to reboot. Make it so the X-Men and the Avengers have been alongside each other from the beginning. And for God sake stop relying on the Fox X-Men to save your butts - all this is doing is confirming my belief that this is a past-it Millenial property. They need new characters for a new generation.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I think even a reboot is going to have the same problem getting young viewers interested. These movies have been big for fifteen years, they're basically the movie equivalent of "dad rock" now.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

clearspira wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:36 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:18 am I’ve never seen any of this person’s videos but I think what he’s saying right here is pretty interesting. Mind you, he’s not saying that this is all definitely going to happen, but it’s just a collection of ideas that he’s hypothesizing over.

The MCU needs to reboot. Again, regardless of what anyone thinks of my opinions as to why the MCU collapsed, it seems pretty obvious that it has. Bridges have been burned, continuity is a mess, loose-ends are everywhere, the main villain of Phase 4 and 5 might be a wife beater, and it requires you to buy Disney Plus to actually understand it. Time to end this and start from the beginning.

I think it was a BIG mistake to introduce the X-Men into this film, especially this God-awful CGI monstrosity of a Kelsey Grammer. This should have been an event of its own, not some stinger that most people will only know of because of Youtube. And this of course is a another reason to reboot. Make it so the X-Men and the Avengers have been alongside each other from the beginning. And for God sake stop relying on the Fox X-Men to save your butts - all this is doing is confirming my belief that this is a past-it Millenial property. They need new characters for a new generation.
Personally the part of the video I agreed with most is that reboots are tiring. There's no reliable way of knowing if the concurrent mistake you're averting is going to be fixed with one.
..What mirror universe?
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:29 pm Personally the part of the video I agreed with most is that reboots are tiring. There's no reliable way of knowing if the concurrent mistake you're averting is going to be fixed with one.
Having not watched the video, this was my first thought on the reboot idea. There are a few problems a reboot can solve, but if your issue isn't one of them, a reboot won't help and you'll lose the things you have already built up. It's not a great solution.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Deledrius wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:47 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:29 pm Personally the part of the video I agreed with most is that reboots are tiring. There's no reliable way of knowing if the concurrent mistake you're averting is going to be fixed with one.
Having not watched the video, this was my first thought on the reboot idea. There are a few problems a reboot can solve, but if your issue isn't one of them, a reboot won't help and you'll lose the things you have already built up. It's not a great solution.
Not for Toby or Andrew at least.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:33 pm
One of the reasons why rebooting worked with Spider-Man is not only because the character is popular but they haven't done anything quite as final as some of the characters at Endgame. Tony Stark dies as culmination of his story arc dating back to Iron Man and Captain America goes full circle going back to Peggy. It's not that we can't think of Iron Man without RDJ or Captain America without Chris Evans, it's just that they did a finale with the characters.

The closest would be Nolan Batman trilogy but even then that not only was a self contained universe for Batman but there is a history of Batman being soft rebooted already.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

McAvoy wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:11 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:33 pm
One of the reasons why rebooting worked with Spider-Man is not only because the character is popular but they haven't done anything quite as final as some of the characters at Endgame. Tony Stark dies as culmination of his story arc dating back to Iron Man and Captain America goes full circle going back to Peggy. It's not that we can't think of Iron Man without RDJ or Captain America without Chris Evans, it's just that they did a finale with the characters.

The closest would be Nolan Batman trilogy but even then that not only was a self contained universe for Batman but there is a history of Batman being soft rebooted already.
They got away with Spider man and co branded the current iteration. I’m fine saying that rebooting, twice at that, didn’t particularly work.

I guess technically Batman is rebooted after Nolan’s films, but nobody was expecting any more of that universe. Rebooting it also very much did not work.
..What mirror universe?