Invincible s2 (maybe some light comic spoilers?)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
stryke
Captain

Invincible s2 (maybe some light comic spoilers?)

Post by stryke »

Been rather impressed by the return of this show so far.

It appears to be keeping up the trend from the first season of Kirkman having 20 years of extra perspective to make some improvements. The new take on the deal with the fish people especially was no where near as annoying as it was in the comics.

It was stuff like that meant I didn't hang around much longer if I remember right back in the day when it was coming out in monthly issues. Think it was somewhere between issue 30 and 45 but that was yonks back so no idea how accurate that was.

Also the teasing of the title in the first ep back was genuinely brilliant.

Only two more eps though I believe before the midseason break so that's a concern.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Invincible s2 (maybe some light comic spoilers?)

Post by McAvoy »

I just started the first episode of the first season tonight. I knew about it but was on the back burner. I am aware of the general storyline.

Lots and lots and lots of comparisons between Omni Man, Homelander and Superman.
I got nothing to say here.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:23 am I just started the first episode of the first season tonight. I knew about it but was on the back burner. I am aware of the general storyline.

Lots and lots and lots of comparisons between Omni Man, Homelander and Superman.
Funnily Kirkman said (back in mid 2000's) that Omni-Man wasn't a Superman expy... he was a Goku expy.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Nobody700 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:16 pm Funnily Kirkman said (back in mid 2000's) that Omni-Man wasn't a Superman expy... he was a Goku expy.
Now that's a line with so, so much to unpack in it. Cause I can see exactly what he means, think he's right, think he's wrong along with being highly disengenuous, and then that's not even getting into just how much Goku himself is a Superman expy which has varied over the years.

Going back to the show, ep 3 is definitely the best of the second season so far. The playing with the title card was even better than it was in the first episode. Then there's the ending. I'd read far enough to know it was coming, but they still sold the moment superbly.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

stryke wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:39 pm
Nobody700 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:16 pm Funnily Kirkman said (back in mid 2000's) that Omni-Man wasn't a Superman expy... he was a Goku expy.
Now that's a line with so, so much to unpack in it. Cause I can see exactly what he means, think he's right, think he's wrong along with being highly disengenuous, and then that's not even getting into just how much Goku himself is a Superman expy which has varied over the years.

Going back to the show, ep 3 is definitely the best of the second season so far. The playing with the title card was even better than it was in the first episode. Then there's the ending. I'd read far enough to know it was coming, but they still sold the moment superbly.
To give context, he meant a Goku who never got his head hit and so was sent to Earth to take it over, which he did, for his evil alien emperor.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Nobody700 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:52 pm To give context, he meant a Goku who never got his head hit and so was sent to Earth to take it over, which he did, for his evil alien emperor.
Yeah I get that, which is why I said I can see why he's getting at, and sure that's pretty spot on, but also c'mon Kirkman, he's blatantly, blatantly a Superman expy and you saying otherwise is very much a 'tee-hee aren't I clever, also love me nerds for I know the animays'.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

stryke wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:33 am
Nobody700 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:52 pm To give context, he meant a Goku who never got his head hit and so was sent to Earth to take it over, which he did, for his evil alien emperor.
Yeah I get that, which is why I said I can see why he's getting at, and sure that's pretty spot on, but also c'mon Kirkman, he's blatantly, blatantly a Superman expy and you saying otherwise is very much a 'tee-hee aren't I clever, also love me nerds for I know the animays'.
Why lie anyway? No one felt the need to for Homelander.

Goku is not a rip-off of Superman because Goku's story is actually a rip-off of ''Journey to the West.'' Its only come Dragonball Z that he even learns that he is an alien. At that point he starts to become more like Superman... and also more like a couple of dozen other Shonen main characters. Goku isn't even really a hero. He has a good heart but his motivations are almost always centred around his desire to become the strongest man in the universe rather than being good for the sake of being good.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Goku is not a rip-off of Superman as that'd certainly be putting it far too strongly. Defitely fair to say though that Superman has heavily influenced elements of Goku's origin.

I love the recent Broly film. It's a legitimately good watch, with some truly gorgeous animation, much improved character motivations over the original film, and some genuine laugh out loud moments so that'd I'd happily reccomend it to anyone. It is also not the slightest bit subtle what they're doing as Goku's parents send off their son in a pod as their doomed planet is about to die.

Then the writer has never been subtle with his western influences. Especially take note of what year Terminator 2 came out, and when Android 16 and Trunks showed up in the manga.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I mean he's more properly a Vegeta expy.

Who is a Goku EXPY

Of what Goku would be like if he didn't lose his memory.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

It feels like they retcon that Goku didn't hit his head.