Invincible s2 (maybe some light comic spoilers?)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Invincible s2 (maybe some light comic spoilers?)

Post by McAvoy »

stryke wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:20 pm Goku is not a rip-off of Superman as that'd certainly be putting it far too strongly. Defitely fair to say though that Superman has heavily influenced elements of Goku's origin.

I love the recent Broly film. It's a legitimately good watch, with some truly gorgeous animation, much improved character motivations over the original film, and some genuine laugh out loud moments so that'd I'd happily reccomend it to anyone. It is also not the slightest bit subtle what they're doing as Goku's parents send off their son in a pod as their doomed planet is about to die.

Then the writer has never been subtle with his western influences. Especially take note of what year Terminator 2 came out, and when Android 16 and Trunks showed up in the manga.
Original DragonBall had a villian that was straight up looked like the Terminator. I do think it also predates T2 too.

The Broly movie also retconned the Bardock movie which had nothing to with Toriyama who was still writing DBZ at the time but loved it. It at least kinda made Goku less like a Superman ripoff and just having Goku leave the planet due to how they send weak Saiyans to other planets. Broly made it a straight Superman ripoff.
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

McAvoy wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:06 am
stryke wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:20 pm Goku is not a rip-off of Superman as that'd certainly be putting it far too strongly. Defitely fair to say though that Superman has heavily influenced elements of Goku's origin.

I love the recent Broly film. It's a legitimately good watch, with some truly gorgeous animation, much improved character motivations over the original film, and some genuine laugh out loud moments so that'd I'd happily reccomend it to anyone. It is also not the slightest bit subtle what they're doing as Goku's parents send off their son in a pod as their doomed planet is about to die.

Then the writer has never been subtle with his western influences. Especially take note of what year Terminator 2 came out, and when Android 16 and Trunks showed up in the manga.
Original DragonBall had a villian that was straight up looked like the Terminator. I do think it also predates T2 too.

The Broly movie also retconned the Bardock movie which had nothing to with Toriyama who was still writing DBZ at the time but loved it. It at least kinda made Goku less like a Superman ripoff and just having Goku leave the planet due to how they send weak Saiyans to other planets. Broly made it a straight Superman ripoff.
Dragonball is all over the place when it comes to the continuity of its films because some of them are straight up referenced in the anime. I cannot tell you how confused I was when Garlic Jr. appeared after the Namek arc.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

McAvoy wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:06 amOriginal DragonBall had a villian that was straight up looked like the Terminator. I do think it also predates T2 too.
From what I remember that guy was more of a Frankenstien's Monster kind of deal in terms of inspiration.

T2 however pretty much imediately pre-dated expies of the T-800 and John Connor with Android 16 and Trunks appearing in the manga.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

stryke wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:52 pm
McAvoy wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:06 amOriginal DragonBall had a villian that was straight up looked like the Terminator. I do think it also predates T2 too.
From what I remember that guy was more of a Frankenstien's Monster kind of deal in terms of inspiration.

T2 however pretty much imediately pre-dated expies of the T-800 and John Connor with Android 16 and Trunks appearing in the manga.
Frankenstein was Android 8. The Terminator was Major Metallitron.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Man this is being done so much better in the show than how they were handling some of this in the comics.
clearspira wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:08 pmFrankenstein was Android 8. The Terminator was Major Metallitron.
Cheers, my DB cultural osmosis has skipped that guy.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:08 pm
stryke wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:52 pm

Frankenstein was Android 8. The Terminator was Major Metallitron.
Yep. Android 8 is straight up a rip off of Frankenstein which makes me wonder why Toriyama never got a letter from Universal. They may not have the rights to the original Frankenstein (or do they) but maybe they do for the 1930's version.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

So Invincible season 2 has been ramping up. Won't spoil much but so far, things are hitting a fever pitch and you just know that Mark Grayson hasn't even hit the worst day of his life... and you know having your dad murder over a thousand people, beat you into the dirt, and call your mom a pet not being your worst day is a LOT.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Totally forgot episode six is up.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

It's been good stuff though they really need to stop dragging the Amber stuff out. They're making me miss the comics version, and the comics version was terrible.

Also I did have to call a 'you gotta me kidding me' in a bad way with one reveal this episode.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

stryke wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:08 am It's been good stuff though they really need to stop dragging the Amber stuff out. They're making me miss the comics version, and the comics version was terrible.
What happened with her in the comics?

In the series, I agree. I just groaned over her behaviour after Mark's return. I'm like: "Girl, you know who he is, what he does and that he likes doing it despite all the terrible shit happening to him. So what are you whinging about when he has to leave again? Make up your mind. Either tell him you're feeling left behind and, if necessary, draw the right conclusion or adjust and deal with it. You knew what you got yourself into!"
stryke wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:08 amAlso I did have to call a 'you gotta me kidding me' in a bad way with one reveal this episode.
Which one would that have been? Feel free to PM or use:

Code: Select all

[Color=transparent]Text[/color]
to hide it, unless someone quotes you or marks the text. What really rubbed me all the wrong way was

Dupli-Kate's death. So it never occured to her, to hide a clone of herself or even her original somewhere else, to prevent this exact happening? That was many levels of stupid and it got worse, because this was the first time I realized that all her duplicates are numbered on the spot. You go girl, telling your enemy exactly how many of you are around and who the original is. Clever girl *slowclap*

Well, that and Amber's whinging. I'm just waiting for her to get Emo-coded.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox