The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

Post by Deledrius »

It's weirder than a reboot, really. They didn't reboot Batman, they just borrowed an unbooted version in another film.

DC has no clue what they're doing.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Deledrius wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:22 pm It's weirder than a reboot, really. They didn't reboot Batman, they just borrowed an unbooted version in another film.

DC has no clue what they're doing.
Well having seen all the animated movies and the show etc since bvs came out, BvS is more consistent with one of the draconian elseworlds stories like injustice.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:50 pm
McAvoy wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:11 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:33 pm
Deledrius wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:47 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:29 pm Personally the part of the video I agreed with most is that reboots are tiring. There's no reliable way of knowing if the concurrent mistake you're averting is going to be fixed with one.
Having not watched the video, this was my first thought on the reboot idea. There are a few problems a reboot can solve, but if your issue isn't one of them, a reboot won't help and you'll lose the things you have already built up. It's not a great solution.
Not for Toby or Andrew at least.
One of the reasons why rebooting worked with Spider-Man is not only because the character is popular but they haven't done anything quite as final as some of the characters at Endgame. Tony Stark dies as culmination of his story arc dating back to Iron Man and Captain America goes full circle going back to Peggy. It's not that we can't think of Iron Man without RDJ or Captain America without Chris Evans, it's just that they did a finale with the characters.

The closest would be Nolan Batman trilogy but even then that not only was a self contained universe for Batman but there is a history of Batman being soft rebooted already.
They got away with Spider man and co branded the current iteration. I’m fine saying that rebooting, twice at that, didn’t particularly work.

I guess technically Batman is rebooted after Nolan’s films, but nobody was expecting any more of that universe. Rebooting it also very much did not work.
Well Nolan did reboot the Batman universe after the massive failure of Batman and Robin.

They rebooted Batman with Batfleck but he never really got his own movie. He was kinda like how the current Spider-Man is but without the three solo movies.

The Batman I would say is a true reboot, a second reboot following Nolan and starting with Tim Burton and the Neon Light Batman.

Honestly should give Batman a rest at this point. Hell. We are on our fourth Joker? One of them may not even a Batman.
I got nothing to say here.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

TBH, after the heights of BTAS, there's very little room to go anywhere but down.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Deledrius wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:24 am TBH, after the heights of BTAS, there's very little room to go anywhere but down.
Well the Nolan movies come after the BTAS but I get your point. For basically a children's series, it was very well written with its legacy being felt today.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

McAvoy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:13 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:50 pm
McAvoy wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:11 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:33 pm
Deledrius wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:47 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:29 pm Personally the part of the video I agreed with most is that reboots are tiring. There's no reliable way of knowing if the concurrent mistake you're averting is going to be fixed with one.
Having not watched the video, this was my first thought on the reboot idea. There are a few problems a reboot can solve, but if your issue isn't one of them, a reboot won't help and you'll lose the things you have already built up. It's not a great solution.
Not for Toby or Andrew at least.
One of the reasons why rebooting worked with Spider-Man is not only because the character is popular but they haven't done anything quite as final as some of the characters at Endgame. Tony Stark dies as culmination of his story arc dating back to Iron Man and Captain America goes full circle going back to Peggy. It's not that we can't think of Iron Man without RDJ or Captain America without Chris Evans, it's just that they did a finale with the characters.

The closest would be Nolan Batman trilogy but even then that not only was a self contained universe for Batman but there is a history of Batman being soft rebooted already.
They got away with Spider man and co branded the current iteration. I’m fine saying that rebooting, twice at that, didn’t particularly work.

I guess technically Batman is rebooted after Nolan’s films, but nobody was expecting any more of that universe. Rebooting it also very much did not work.
Well Nolan did reboot the Batman universe after the massive failure of Batman and Robin.

They rebooted Batman with Batfleck but he never really got his own movie. He was kinda like how the current Spider-Man is but without the three solo movies.

The Batman I would say is a true reboot, a second reboot following Nolan and starting with Tim Burton and the Neon Light Batman.
It's the same thing there as well though; nobody was really expecting a follow up to the series. Rebooting has specifically to do with taking an expected sequel's development and stead just making a new franchise. It's more consistent with how you regard the Reeves Batman film. It's not a reboot so much as a consolidated project.
..What mirror universe?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

There are hardly any epic episodes of TAS. MotP is hardly an exhaustive take on Batman lore. Batman isn’t just about fairytaling.
..What mirror universe?
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:07 am
Deledrius wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:24 am TBH, after the heights of BTAS, there's very little room to go anywhere but down.
Well the Nolan movies come after the BTAS but I get your point. For basically a children's series, it was very well written with its legacy being felt today.
I consider the Nolan films as supporting my point.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Which is somewhat hyperbolic.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Here's an interesting one. Reportedly one of the cut scenes during the mountain of reshoots was a kiss between Captain Marvel and Valkerie. https://comicbookmovie.com/captain-marv ... #gs.1fax5y

In my opinion the reason why they did this? South Park. ''Put a chick in it, make it lame and make it gay.'' Disney already suspected that this film was going to be lame and were terrified of the memes that would come out of this film if the prophecy were to come true.

Even if that's not true this is a fine example of what i've been saying about Disney for years. They are not LGBT allies. They will cut a gay scene without a second thought if they think that it'll harm the bottom line. They will wipe it from a foreign release in a second if it makes just one more buck.