How would you redo the Punisher?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: How would you redo the Punisher?

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:20 pm
Nealithi wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:20 pm I just want to pop in on this and mention there is an oddity in arguments.
"The Batman is bad because he does not kill his villains. So all those the Joker kills is Batman's fault."
"The Punisher is bad because he kills his villains and does not give them a chance to reform!"

Now I do not want Batman to kill. Not killing is part of his character. Having a diverse rogues gallery and having to think out a problem as often as he punches a problem is his comic. Punisher has what could be an engaging origin. Honest man, former soldier turned police officer. Loves his family and then organized crime took that all from him violently. And no one was there to punish those that took innocent lives. He, as a vigilante, has to start small. He is no millionaire, so he knocks over some small time gangs for their weapons and cash. Steals an unmarked van to turn into his rolling arsenal. All his work targeting criminals makes the streets just a little safer while building to his eventual showdown with the criminals responsible for the death of his family.

Could be a good mini-series or short run TV. But it is too long for a movie to do right, and too direct for a long run on a comic series. He has to get his payoff confrontation. But then what? I think we need to borrow a line from Harvey Dent. "Die a hero or live to see yourself as the villain". Punisher should get his final showdown. Punish the last one he needed to reach. Then die from his injuries. He is a mortal human being. His reward is seeing his family like Maximus in Gladiator.
That sounds a lot like Billy Butcher from The Boys comic. He is probably one of the best Punisher expies out there, he even dresses the same.
Speaking of which of the alt right worshipping the wrong person, there is some doing that with Homelander. It's just weird.
I got nothing to say here.