The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

Post by hammerofglass »

clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:38 am
Even if that's not true this is a fine example of what i've been saying about Disney for years. They are not LGBT allies. They will cut a gay scene without a second thought if they think that it'll harm the bottom line. They will wipe it from a foreign release in a second if it makes just one more buck.
Given you come on this forum to go on a week-long rant every time they don't cut an LGBT scene or mention I'm confused that you aren't putting this in their "virtues" column.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:52 am
Even if that's not true this is a fine example of what i've been saying about Disney for years. They are not LGBT allies. They will cut a gay scene without a second thought if they think that it'll harm the bottom line. They will wipe it from a foreign release in a second if it makes just one more buck.
Given you come on this forum to go on a week-long rant every time they don't cut an LGBT scene or mention I'm confused that you aren't putting this in their "virtues" column.
I don't care if its done well.

This scene for example. How often has Captain Marvel interacted with Valkerie before this? Anyone? Frankly, it would make more sense if she made out with Photon or Ms Marvel than her. I would cut it because it makes no sense narratively. And no, I don't think that's why it was cut, because that scene went through a writers room and was filmed without anyone raising an eyebrow.

Marvel already ruined her character by insisting on making her a king without a pronoun change and putting her in the least flattering suit imaginable but there you go. Can't imagine why this "film made for women" isn't getting them Barbie-bucks with female representation like that. :roll:
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:12 pm Marvel already ruined her character by insisting on making her a king without a pronoun change
I dunno, that brings Empress Irene of Byzantium to mind, who was formally titled "Basileus Irene" using the male term because there weren't any Basileias who held power in their own right.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:12 pm
Marvel already ruined her character by insisting on making her a king without a pronoun change and putting her in the least flattering suit imaginable but there you go. Can't imagine why this "film made for women" isn't getting them Barbie-bucks with female representation like that. :roll:
What makes her being a king over being a queen? Especially with nowadays making being a queen being a thing now? So what is that difference in her being a King over being a Queen?
I got nothing to say here.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:54 am
What makes her being a king over being a queen? Especially with nowadays making being a queen being a thing now? So what is that difference in her being a King over being a Queen?
Well back in Endgame she said "the people need their king" and Thor said "they already have a king" and then she never bothered to change the title. That's it, that's the whole bit. It's a running gag.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

King - male.
Queen - female.
Prince - male.
Princess - female.
These are not gender neutral terms.

The only place where this isn't true is in media with a left-leaning bent wanting a pat on the back.

And whilst we are on the topic, Star Trek Discovery.

Emperor: male.
Empress: female.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

clearspira wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:22 am
King - male.
Queen - female.
Prince - male.
Princess - female.

The only place where this isn't true is in media with a left-leaning bent wanting a pat on the back.

Damn you're right, that alien space god who uses his hammer to teleport around the universe and is a being of pure lightning should have told the other alien space god that gender norms are important. How dare she forget her place when he and the rest of Asgard now agree she's their leader after being massacred THREE TIMES in a row. That's the most IMPORTANT THING.

Also the Emperor from the Mirror Universe should have called herself an Empress after she was reminded she may be allowed to murder her entire royal court whenever and torture entire planets, but gender norms are still top dog.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Nobody700 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:53 pm
clearspira wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:22 am
King - male.
Queen - female.
Prince - male.
Princess - female.

Damn you're right, that alien space god who uses his hammer to teleport around the universe and is a being of pure lightning should have told the other alien space god that gender norms are important. How dare she forget her place when he and the rest of Asgard now agree she's their leader after being massacred THREE TIMES in a row. That's the most IMPORTANT THING.

Also the Emperor from the Mirror Universe should have called herself an Empress after she was reminded she may be allowed to murder her entire royal court whenever and torture entire planets, but gender norms are still top dog.
That is a disingenuous argument and you know it. This is a work of fiction made by human beings - every decision has a reason. You speak of these things as if these are actual people making actual choices. Someone in a writers room somewhere consciously made that decision.

And if you want to in-universe on this, Hoshi declared herself empress not emperor only a few decades before this and lives in a universe with a literal job title called "Captain's Woman". This is not an enlightened inclusive place with a history of bucking gender norms before the STD writers got hold of it. No dice, I'm afraid. What you said just doesn't wash.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Kings and Queens are distinct by both sex and by administrational hierarchy.

King = #1
Queen =#2

Any titles that deviates from this order are monikered; a Queen Regnant for a female ruler, and a King Consort for the husband of a female ruler.

If a society isn't patriarchal then they probably won't abide by calling a female ruler a Queen Regnant.
Last edited by BridgeConsoleMasher on Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..What mirror universe?