The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Nobody700
Captain

Re: The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

Post by Nobody700 »

clearspira wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:20 pm
Nobody700 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:53 pm
clearspira wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:22 am
McAvoy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:54 am
clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:12 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:52 am
clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:38 am
Even if that's not true this is a fine example of what i've been saying about Disney for years. They are not LGBT allies. They will cut a gay scene without a second thought if they think that it'll harm the bottom line. They will wipe it from a foreign release in a second if it makes just one more buck.
Given you come on this forum to go on a week-long rant every time they don't cut an LGBT scene or mention I'm confused that you aren't putting this in their "virtues" column.
Marvel already ruined her character by insisting on making her a king without a pronoun change and putting her in the least flattering suit imaginable but there you go. Can't imagine why this "film made for women" isn't getting them Barbie-bucks with female representation like that. :roll:
What makes her being a king over being a queen? Especially with nowadays making being a queen being a thing now? So what is that difference in her being a King over being a Queen?
King - male.
Queen - female.
Prince - male.
Princess - female.
These are not gender neutral terms.

The only place where this isn't true is in media with a left-leaning bent wanting a pat on the back.

And whilst we are on the topic, Star Trek Discovery.

Emperor: male.
Empress: female.
Damn you're right, that alien space god who uses his hammer to teleport around the universe and is a being of pure lightning should have told the other alien space god that gender norms are important. How dare she forget her place when he and the rest of Asgard now agree she's their leader after being massacred THREE TIMES in a row. That's the most IMPORTANT THING.

Also the Emperor from the Mirror Universe should have called herself an Empress after she was reminded she may be allowed to murder her entire royal court whenever and torture entire planets, but gender norms are still top dog.
That is a disingenuous argument and you know it. This is a work of fiction made by human beings - every decision has a reason. You speak of these things as if these are actual people making actual choices. Someone in a writers room somewhere consciously made that decision.

And if you want to in-universe on this, Hoshi declared herself empress not emperor only a few decades before this and lives in a universe with a literal job title called "Captain's Woman". This is not an enlightened inclusive place with a history of bucking gender norms before the STD writers got hold of it. No dice, I'm afraid. What you said just doesn't wash.
Okay let's actually argue this than, when it's pointless to do so. Valkryie is king of Asgard. Okay, so the fuck what she calls herself king? No, really, WHAT IS THE REASON YOU'RE MAD ABOUT THAT? Because she's a woman and she should call herself queen? Okay, fine, she calls herself queen. This changes... what?

As does the empress and emperor thing. Hell, I have seen REAL LIFE WOMEN BE DECLARED EMPERORS in ancient history, so that argument is out. Just admit you're mad she's a woman saying she's a king, because guess what, NO ONE ELSE CARES! This offends you WHY, just tell us. https://youtu.be/37nwLhIA1zs?si=5N1_VTWD6SSy_gXi
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I be more upset with how they use her, she took those Skrulls to Earth, where in Secret invasion made it clear, having Skrulls live on Earth is bad for dumb reasons.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:06 pm I be more upset with how they use her, she took those Skrulls to Earth, where in Secret invasion made it clear, having Skrulls live on Earth is bad for dumb reasons.
Too be fair, it is VERY CLEAR this film never saw Secret Invasion.

Which, good.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Agree, especially since there a scene from that show that really bug me.
One point Fury says the host get to decided who invite in the house.
The problem the way things are set up, it not like a guest is bringing his family in. No it the guest you invited in had his family move into the abandon house down the road that you have no real claim over, and the fact you see a problem makes fury seems like a paranoid nut job.
IN secret invasion.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:18 pm Agree, especially since there a scene from that show that really bug me.
One point Fury says the host get to decided who invite in the house.
The problem the way things are set up, it not like a guest is bringing his family in. No it the guest you invited in had his family move into the abandon house down the road that you have no real claim over, and the fact you see a problem makes fury seems like a paranoid nut job.
IN secret invasion.
My main problem with Secret Invasion is everyone is brain dead, from Fury to Gravik to Gi'ah. Fury never makes sense, Gravik is a pure monster, and Gi'ah, god Gi'ah, only Telos makes any sense and even that's 50/50.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

It was so bad, I couldn't finish it. The last time that happen was Thor Dark World.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:27 pm It was so bad, I couldn't finish it. The last time that happen was Thor Dark World.
Best part of how bad the show was, is the fact that She-Hulk's finale, which is godawful... IS BETTER THAN SECRET INVASION'S FINALE AND HIGHLIGHTED WHY SUCH A FINALE IS TERRIBLE!

Yes, even the awful meta finale of She-Hulk was LEAGUES better than Secret Invasion's REAL ATTEMPT!
Thebestoftherest
Captain

It sad when the someone purposely doing their worst is better than your best.

Did you know that the head writer for She Hulk was the writer of that Pickle Rick episode.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Clearspira, why do you find Captain Marvel so offensive? Really, what about it bugs you so much that you were so eager for it to flop, and now that you're delighted this movie failed? Why? What is pissing you off? Why do you hate it?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I liked She Hulk.
..What mirror universe?