The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Fair enough, did you know that factoid I gave you?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:58 am Fair enough, did you know that factoid I gave you?

No, I didn't. And I found it very interesting.
..What mirror universe?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Weird how she did two things where the characters are green, if they ever do a green giant movie we know who to call.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:30 am Weird how she did two things where the characters are green, if they ever do a green giant movie we know who to call.
Well she’s probably better suited towards comedy but I’ll give it a shot.
..What mirror universe?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

not easy being green.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Nobody700 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:16 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:06 pm I be more upset with how they use her, she took those Skrulls to Earth, where in Secret invasion made it clear, having Skrulls live on Earth is bad for dumb reasons.
Too be fair, it is VERY CLEAR this film never saw Secret Invasion.

Which, good.
I don't think that was deliberate. The Marvels was announced before Secret invasion and has suffered an incredible amount of cut content and reshoots. The Director's Cut of this movie would be considerably longer.

Right hand (the films) doesn't know what left hand (Disney plus) is doing. Or doesn't care.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

clearspira wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:04 am
Nobody700 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:16 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:06 pm I be more upset with how they use her, she took those Skrulls to Earth, where in Secret invasion made it clear, having Skrulls live on Earth is bad for dumb reasons.
Too be fair, it is VERY CLEAR this film never saw Secret Invasion.

Which, good.
I don't think that was deliberate. The Marvels was announced before Secret invasion and has suffered an incredible amount of cut content and reshoots. The Director's Cut of this movie would be considerably longer.

Right hand (the films) doesn't know what left hand (Disney plus) is doing. Or doesn't care.
I've heard it before also with Elizabeth Olsen talking about how the Wandavision writers weren't really following with her character's developing arc, which estranged her character's direction in Dr. Strange.
..What mirror universe?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

So I haven’t heard anything in the way of disapproving criticism unless it’s people reflecting box office numbers and saying it in a told-you-so kind of manner, which isn’t really the same thing.
..What mirror universe?
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:29 pm I've heard it before also with Elizabeth Olsen talking about how the Wandavision writers weren't really following with her character's developing arc, which estranged her character's direction in Dr. Strange.
This is an odd thing for her to say. I haven't watched WV yet (it's next up on my list, I think) but I'm somewhat looking forward to it because it's pretty well-received as a character piece. Up until this point in the MCU, she has no character arc. She's a plot device in Ultron, an afterthought with a weird unexplained sudden relationship in CA:CW, and a plot device side character in the Endgame saga. The movies tell us she's an important full member of the team, but never actually shows us any of it.

So I really can't see WV doing anything but finally establishing a character for her.

That doesn't mean she as an actress hasn't been putting in the work to convey what little they've given her to work with, but I don't think much of it's ended up on screen (up to the point I'm at in the MCU).
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hammerofglass wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:38 am
McAvoy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:54 am
clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:12 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:52 am
clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:38 am
Even if that's not true this is a fine example of what i've been saying about Disney for years. They are not LGBT allies. They will cut a gay scene without a second thought if they think that it'll harm the bottom line. They will wipe it from a foreign release in a second if it makes just one more buck.
Given you come on this forum to go on a week-long rant every time they don't cut an LGBT scene or mention I'm confused that you aren't putting this in their "virtues" column.
Marvel already ruined her character by insisting on making her a king without a pronoun change and putting her in the least flattering suit imaginable but there you go. Can't imagine why this "film made for women" isn't getting them Barbie-bucks with female representation like that. :roll:
What makes her being a king over being a queen? Especially with nowadays making being a queen being a thing now? So what is that difference in her being a King over being a Queen?
Well back in Endgame she said "the people need their king" and Thor said "they already have a king" and then she never bothered to change the title. That's it, that's the whole bit. It's a running gag.
OK that makes more sense. For some reason I thought clearspira was just making some weird thing about calling Captain Marvel a king or something.

TBH, I barely remember the last Thor movie due to being annoyed by the amount of jokes and character assassination of Thor.
I got nothing to say here.