Doctor Who specials (2023)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

Doctor Who specials (2023)

Post by hammerofglass »

I had dropped off watching the show a few years ago (I'll catch up eventually) but had to come back for Tennant's Doctor and Donna coming back. This was a lot of fun, even though the first twist was obvious a mile off.

Russell T Davies applying his usual level of subtlety when it comes to dealing with politicized social issues, again glad to see it. I'd been worried the Disney partnership would pull his teeth. My favorite companion being super supportive of her trans enby daughter got me in the feels a lot harder than I would have expected.

Looking forward to the second episode on Saturday.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
stryke
Captain

Re: Doctor Who specials (2023)

Post by stryke »

I loved it.

Even more so as I'd entirely burned out on Who to the point of becoming rather bitter thanks to Moffat so I'm really pleased to be back enjoying it again.

The only thing I wish was if they'd made the time gap not the same as the gap between the episodes. I can see why they thought that was neat but man.

Set it in the near future, and make it the same 20 years as the age on the actress. Then you don't have the how do you do fellow kids funkiness of her playing a 14 year old, and at the same time don't give any ammunition to the crazies about how they're supposedly corrupting the kiddies by turning 'em trans.

Yes I'm sure they'd have gone mental anyway, but now they have something that sounds like maybe it could be a point and that suuuucks.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

stryke wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:33 pm Yes I'm sure they'd have gone mental anyway, but now they have something that sounds like maybe it could be a point and that suuuucks.
They lost it when Whittiker was cast and still haven't recovered. They're going to be INSUFFERABLE when Gatwa takes over.
Last edited by ProfessorDetective on Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Haven't seen it, yet (I don't have D+). But I'm not bothering to dodge spoilers, anymore. Glad to hear its good. Chibnall's era was very uneven but decent (I actually LIKED the Timeless Child arc, for reference), so I have high hopes Davies can pull us back to proper greatness.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Second special random thoughts, trying to avoid real spoilers:

Ship design interiors by Aperture Science.

If I had a nickel for every time this year a character played by David Tennant who was previously heavily queer coded got it moved to explicit canon status I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot but it's weird it happened twice.

I really did miss the "just buddies" vibe these two have, the borderline worship most companions have bugs me.

It looks like they solved the "18 year old playing a 14 year old" problem in the most direct manner.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Episode 2 has officially the worst ratings of David Tennant's run as Dr Who. A lot of that can be attributed to changing viewing habits. TV today is not what it was in 2007 and never will be again. But a lot of that can also be attributed to Dr Who becoming a zombie franchise that no one is really all that interested in any more. And one of the reasons I feel safe in saying that is because episode 1 saw a viewing figure spike in comparison to Mrs Dr Who. Clearly, people will turn on their TV if they have the motivation to do so - namely the return of the most popular Dr Who since Tom Baker.

And yet they didn't stay for episode 2. Why?

Look at this very forum. This sci-fi focused forum of a website made by a man who has like 100 Dr Who reviews to his name. This forum that has struggled to get beyond page one of the Dr Who thread on the return of the most popular Doctor Who since Tom Baker. Say what you like about Disney Star Wars or New Trek; but man, do we TALK when we get on that subject. Page after page, thread after thread. There is clearly still an interest in it. But Dr Who? If we don't care then who is likely to really?

For the record, I thought episode 1 was OK. Unfortunately, ''OK'' doesn't win you prizes in such a competitive media landscape. I suspect that if this show wasn't being paid for by my taxes then it would be on hiatus. I also suspect we will see the same trend with the next Doctor. Episode 1 spike to check him out and then tumbleweeds.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Or a lot of people just decided to watch it online, if you already have Disney Plus and like doctor who which would you prefer stopping what your doing to watch it with commercials or watch it in one go on Disney Plus.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I think clearspira has a point. I'm enjoying the nostalgia trip but it's not giving me any reason to stick around after.

Modern Doctor Who more than any other sci-fi or fantasy property, including actual cartoons for children, just feels like something I've grown out of. Like I can look at it and say "the person I was when I was twenty would have enjoyed this" but it doesn't really click anymore.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

clearspira wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:56 am There is clearly still an interest in it. But Dr Who? If we don't care then who is likely to really?
I'm interested in watching it, but haven't yet because I'm so far behind on the show. I dropped out in Capaldi's second season when things got really rough and terrible, and there's no easy way to catch up. If D+ had the recent seasons I might, but even then there's a lot to watch before I get to the new stuff.

And honestly, it was bad enough by then that even if it improved I'm not sure I could force myself through it all. So I'm just not an audience for it anymore, I guess, even though I'd like to be. I miss it.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Yeah copy right is Mess which is why I want blu ray of everything