Doctor Who specials (2023)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Doctor Who specials (2023)

Post by hammerofglass »

Deledrius wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:39 am
clearspira wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:56 am There is clearly still an interest in it. But Dr Who? If we don't care then who is likely to really?
I'm interested in watching it, but haven't yet because I'm so far behind on the show. I dropped out in Capaldi's second season when things got really rough and terrible, and there's no easy way to catch up. If D+ had the recent seasons I might, but even then there's a lot to watch before I get to the new stuff.

And honestly, it was bad enough by then that even if it improved I'm not sure I could force myself through it all. So I'm just not an audience for it anymore, I guess, even though I'd like to be. I miss it.
You don't need to be caught up. So far there's exactly one mention of anything specific that happened after series 4, and that whole scene was him refusing to talk about it.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

clearspira wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:56 am Episode 2 has officially the worst ratings of David Tennant's run as Dr Who.
Don't jump to conclusions just yet, this is for the overnight ratings while consolidated ratings for other Tennant episodes like Daleks in Manhattan and Love & Monsters got below the 7s plus AI for Wonder Blue Yonder was 83, which is still a good result. So I would rather wait till we get the consolidated ratings for the episode. Plus, it was only a 5% drop off from the Star Beast.

And you're right, TV watching habits have changed, people got BBCIplayer, which some people prefer to use.
Last edited by BBally81 on Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Yeah there's no need to catch up. I skipped out after Capaldi as I was so burned out by Moffat's bollocks.

I came back for the first episode and it was great, second was significantly better, and even with the bit alluding to something I skipped, it was like I hadn't missed anything.

Seriously that second episode is like top 5 Who that RTD has ever done. It's excellent.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:16 am You don't need to be caught up. So far there's exactly one mention of anything specific that happened after series 4, and that whole scene was him refusing to talk about it.
I understand that I don't need to catch up, but that's neither here nor there really.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Special 3:

New UNIT headquarters courtesy of Stark Industries.

For some reason it reminded me of some of the weirder Loveless episodes of Wild Wild West. Just the element of "no it doesn't make sense, the characters also know it doesn't make sense, just roll with it".

I liked the happy ending and hope it remains so.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

I think this is the first Doctor who has facial hair (Tennet's five o'clock shadow not withstanding). Also, the poor Doc has now been a woman and a Black man before a ginger.

I do like the happy ending for Tennet Redux Doctor as well. He can finally stop running and embrace that Earth is his adopted home.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Yeah at this point there shouldn't be a ginger doc too much expectations
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

I caught a bit of the ending; did anyone ever address why the new Doctor wasn't wearing any pants?
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I assume that all the clothes didn't go with him.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

TGLS wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:20 am I caught a bit of the ending; did anyone ever address why the new Doctor wasn't wearing any pants?
They split the outfit between the two of them so yes it does mean that 14 was going commando.

Also man was OH WELL, THAT'S ALL RIGHT THEN! an incredibly cathartic critique of the Moffat years.

Also also best use of NPH when not playing the Music Meister to date?