Doctor Who specials (2023)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Al-1701
Officer

Re: Doctor Who specials (2023)

Post by Al-1701 »

stryke wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:54 pm Also man was OH WELL, THAT'S ALL RIGHT THEN! an incredibly cathartic critique of the Moffat years.
I had forgotten all the Moffat era companions met bad ends. What was up with that guy?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Trailer for next episode fearures goblin sky pirates. Ok, I'm there.

https://youtu.be/S2LKKnf4riw?si=O2k1DdCfcy_lHC1i
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Al-1701 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:37 pm
stryke wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:54 pm Also man was OH WELL, THAT'S ALL RIGHT THEN! an incredibly cathartic critique of the Moffat years.
I had forgotten all the Moffat era companions met bad ends. What was up with that guy?
With the exception of Martha, all of RTD had bad ends, the only one who let the companions have happy endings or not tragedic endings was Chris Chibnal.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

"Bad" Ends that were never immediately lethal.

The Ponds get Angel'd and make a decent life in NYC.
Clara gets to live on borrowed time with a TARDIS but will still die "eventually" (kind of like Fourteen, now that I think about it).
Bill gets saved by her nanobot blob GF and joins her in for adventures.
River got uploaded into a mainframe with her crewmates.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:10 pm

Clara gets to live on borrowed time with a TARDIS but will still die "eventually" (kind of like Fourteen, now that I think about it).
Oh, well that's all right then.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:38 pm

Darn, I wanted to do that.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:38 pm

I'm just saying, none of the modern companions have gone out like Adric or Peri, as far as I remember.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

So the master is now a gold tooth and stuck in a jack in the box. Honestly, I rather disliked this Master from the Chibnall era, so glad he's stuck there for a while till he somehow comes out of it.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

The master being back after being trapped in a tooth doesn't surprise me. He always finds a way to come back when thought to be gone for good whether it's burning to death (planet of fire and keeper of Trakken) Being thrown down a bottomless chasm (Deadly assassin)Sucked into the eye of harmony/blown up (tv movie) or any other various way he has thought to have been killed.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

The Master has to be one of the most ludicrous villains in television history. The only time that he has ever come off as a serious threat was the Derek Jacobi to John Simm version. You felt the evil with those two. Then John Simm came back as a clown with lightning powers and that was that.

But I think this goes back to what I was saying about this being a bit of a zombie franchise. All of its major villains are kind of old and worn out at this point. I don't know about anyone else but I think the last ''new'' villain that really took off were the Weeping Angels and maybe The Silence. And that was getting on for a decade ago.