Brexit Done and Dusted

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Brexit Done and Dusted

Post by hammerofglass »

A prank that got out of hand.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Oh, it failed. Looking back, my optimism for it is rather embarrassing.

But I make no apologies for it because I still maintain that it could have worked.

The problem is twofold:

1) If you check the date of this thread you'll see it was made during that glorious period where we all still thought of Covid as being that far off thing that would never come over here. That kind of put Brexit on the backburner for two years.

2) Boris Johnson and his Cabinet turned out to be incompetent clowns who couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. He was not the right man in the right place at the right time.

There is a parallel universe out there where it worked. And the EU is hardly in a place to gloat - how is that ''biggest rise in the right wing since the War'' going over there? Sounds like the EU is having a few problems.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

This is the universe where it worked. You got exactly what you asked for. That it wasn't what you actually wanted is not the monkey paw's problem.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:58 am Oh, it failed. Looking back, my optimism for it is rather embarrassing.

But I make no apologies for it because I still maintain that it could have worked.
So you are embarassed, but double down regardless?
clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:58 amThe problem is twofold:

1) If you check the date of this thread you'll see it was made during that glorious period where we all still thought of Covid as being that far off thing that would never come over here. That kind of put Brexit on the backburner for two years.
So BrExit failed because of CoViD? I'm not quite clear on your arguement there.
clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:58 am2) Boris Johnson and his Cabinet turned out to be incompetent clowns who couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. He was not the right man in the right place at the right time.
"Turned out" to be incompentent? As if that wasn't clear even before 2019? Come on, Clearspira.
clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:58 amThere is a parallel universe out there where it worked. And the EU is hardly in a place to gloat - how is that ''biggest rise in the right wing since the War'' going over there? Sounds like the EU is having a few problems.
That glas-house you're throwing stones at? I'd advise opening the window, because it's yours. Not like BrExit is a far-right motivated movement in the first place. You heard of UKIP, right? Or the "Patriotic Alternative" (I could've sworn I heard that name before). Or "The British Hand""? And having to reach for "parallel universes"? Really? I'm certain there's a parallel universe out there, where honey runs in rivers and roasted turkeys fly in your mouth...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:24 am What is Brexit anyways.
The primary cause of the American Civil War
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

pilight wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:42 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:24 am What is Brexit anyways.
The primary cause of the American Civil War
Largely vice versa.
..What mirror universe?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:56 pm [I'm certain there's a parallel universe out there, where honey runs in rivers and roasted turkeys fly in your mouth...
I know this is a serious discussions, but that sounds like a good idea for a fantasy horror slash comedy movie.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:04 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:56 pm [I'm certain there's a parallel universe out there, where honey runs in rivers and roasted turkeys fly in your mouth...
I know this is a serious discussions, but that sounds like a good idea for a fantasy horror slash comedy movie.
That sounds like a lost verse of Big Rock Candy Mountain.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:56 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:58 am Oh, it failed. Looking back, my optimism for it is rather embarrassing.

So you are embarassed, but double down regardless?
clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:58 amThe problem is twofold:

So BrExit failed because of CoViD? I'm not quite clear on your arguement there.
clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:58 am2) Boris Johnson and his Cabinet turned out to be incompetent clowns who couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. He was not the right man in the right place at the right time.
"Turned out" to be incompentent? As if that wasn't clear even before 2019? Come on, Clearspira.
clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:58 amThere is a parallel universe out there where it worked. And the EU is hardly in a place to gloat - how is that ''biggest rise in the right wing since the War'' going over there? Sounds like the EU is having a few problems.
That glas-house you're throwing stones at? I'd advise opening the window, because it's yours. Not like BrExit is a far-right motivated movement in the first place. You heard of UKIP, right? Or the "Patriotic Alternative" (I could've sworn I heard that name before). Or "The British Hand""? And having to reach for "parallel universes"? Really? I'm certain there's a parallel universe out there, where honey runs in rivers and roasted turkeys fly in your mouth...
You don't think that the ENTIRE WORLD SHUTTING DOWN FOR TWO YEARS may have put a dampener on the Brexit negotiations? You don't think that being plunged into hundreds of billions of debt as a result may not have been in the original game plan? I know you are smarter than that. Don't playact the fool to me, i'm not impressed.

You didn't actually answer my question so lets try again: Do you think that there is widespread satisfaction of the EU in Europe despite the fact that the far right is at its highest point now since the Nazis?

Sounds to me like you protest too much tbh. You can't stand the fact that maybe we in the UK aren't just outliers. That just maybe the only difference between the UK and a sizeable bulk of your precious EU is that we had the balls to do it first?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:24 pmYou don't think that the ENTIRE WORLD SHUTTING DOWN FOR TWO YEARS may have put a dampener on the Brexit negotiations?
I don't see how. Negotiations between countries aren't done in a pub with a handshake, generally at least. It's done by loads of exchanges of judicial writings and none of which couldn't be done remotely. The simple fact of the matter is, that your country is run by a bunch of buffoons who promised you the sky, but quite spectacularly failed to deliver even a two-step ladder. Though I admit, it could've gone a lot worse for everyone involved, so there's that be proud of, I guess.
clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:24 pmYou don't think that being plunged into hundreds of billions of debt as a result may not have been in the original game plan? I know you are smarter than that. Don't playact the fool to me, i'm not impressed.
Wait. Your plan was to plunge your country into houndreds of billions of debt? Well that explains a lot...
clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:24 pmYou didn't actually answer my question so lets try again: Do you think that there is widespread satisfaction of the EU in Europe despite the fact that the far right is at its highest point now since the Nazis?
France had to combat with far-right movements for houndreds of years. Italy is a wierd country in that regard, having a far-right that is mired in organized crime and somehow anti-capitalist. Poland? Just ousted their far-right presidency. Hungary has been that way since quite a while and the EU is beginning to develop an immune-system reaction to it. We'll see where this leads. Northern Europa always had some white noise far-right thing going on, that was conviniently being ignored, just like in Germany. And Germany? I lived through the 90s in semi-rural eastern Germany, in an area that was high on important industry and not so much just a year later. I've seen worse, even though I am not happy with what I see at the moment. And 90s Eastern Germany didn't have Russia meddling in the political landscape to begin with, so believe you me, it can go down south a lot before I actually am seriously concered with what happens here. Maybe this cathartic event will finally help adress our society to adress the permanently ignored white-nationalist-noise that has been plaguing this country ever since 1945 and was ignored or, at least in eastern Germany, played with like stupid kids with match-sticks.
clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:24 pmSounds to me like you protest too much tbh. You can't stand the fact that maybe we in the UK aren't just outliers. That just maybe the only difference between the UK and a sizeable bulk of your precious EU is that we had the balls to do it first?
You've said the exact same thing in 2016. That was 8 years ago. Since then, the EU has found together more than it had before. Hungary is in the process of being thrown out or at least completely ignored (and mind you, they still don't make any moves to leave on their own accord, despite their propaganda). Poland just ousted their far right catholic Taliban. The ties between Northern Europe and the EU got tighter, thanks to Russia's actions and Russia's insistence on war and constant threats, may yet still catalyze the rise of a European Army. I don't see this falling apart, despite your 8 year old claims. Quite the contrary.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox