What do you think is the best-animated gun in Anime or just cartoons?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
thisithis
Officer

Post by thisithis »

SO, what do you think?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: What do you think is the best-animated gun in Anime or just cartoons?

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

..What mirror universe?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I'm going with the Harkonnen line of personal artillery from Hellsing.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/hells ... 0215080812
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Bottom left which is from Psycho-Pass wins this easily for the gun itself.

For a really well animated scene featuring a gun though then the laser rifle from Akira.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

When it comes to real(istic) guns, there's no way around Kenichi Sonoda, Masamune Shirow (and Mamoru Oshii) or Rei Hiroe (and Sunao Katabuchi).
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
thisithis
Officer

Post by thisithis »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:33 pm Image
Yeah, GunSmith Cats seems to be making an odd comeback lately.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I kinda like the gun used in the 2005 Guyver 26 episode series that Murakami uses. It's so powerful he has to partially transform his arm to withstand the recoil. Mind you in the managa this wasn't shown and you could have just guess it being a regular gun.

Murakami was a proto zoalord, a test subject body for developing Guyot. The main bad guy for the series in general and the manga up to the same point.

No one knows truly how strong a zoalord is or a proto zoalord is. Only that we know the Guyver unit is 100x stronger than a human and can still be overwhelmed by some of the newer hyper zoanoids, who are still below zoalords. Zoalords appear to be below that of the Gigantic Guyver who could be anywhere between 5x to 20x stronger than a Guyver itself.
I got nothing to say here.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Oh and I should probably add some fictional guns I got a hardon for. There's the Electrofisher's unnamed rifle:

It's essentially a two-shot coilgun, throwing finger-thick, arm-long bolts around. I liked the idea and design (looooooooong before it was put into animation) and replicated it in accordance with Shadowrun's self-built weapons ruleset, cheesing it hard. It only had two shots before needing a lengthy reload, which is kind of a detriment in a world of magic and automatic guns, was heavy as fuck and my DM insisted on the ammo being expensive, but whatever I pointed it at, just kinda died after pulling the trigger.

And then there's the GBE. The Gravitational Beam Emitter:

If you want something to be definitely dead and want to make a point by blowing up everything in a direct line behind the target for multiple kilometers and melt everything within a couple dozen meters along the path of the shot, on the lowest power-setting mind you, that's your weapon of choice. It might rip off your arm, but who cares when you can just re-attach it and whatever bothered you being either ripped apart on a molecular level by (presumably) gravitational forces or being molten to slag in case you somehow managed to miss. There're a number of variations of that weapon within the larger universe of Tsutomu Nihei's work, be it Blame!, Noise!, Knights of Sidonia, Abara or Biomega and whatever else architectural study he disguised as a vaguely coherent story for a manga. The most famous probably being Killy's Noisy Cricket-inspired iteration above.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
thisithis
Officer

Post by thisithis »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:11 am If you want something to be definitely dead and want to make a point by blowing up everything in a direct line behind the target for multiple kilometers and melt everything within a couple dozen meters along the path of the shot, on the lowest power-setting mind you, that's your weapon of choice.
It's not just that. I mean yes, The Gravitational Beam Emitter is badass, as well as the Psycho-Pass Dominator. One will melt everything around it and the other will leave you as a mess for not thinking right.

On the other side of stopping power and more Hidden guns like JT Marsh's Hidden wrist gun from Exosquad, I think you've seen the demo in the initial pic I posted. Kinda like a wrist gun Yang Xiao Long had I Rwby. Even though I don't know much about Rwby. But what I do know she ends up with a prosthetic arm that doubles as a shotgun later in the show. Or Jacqueline Sonya "Jacqui" Briggs or Jax's daughter in Mortal Kombat 10 and 11. Shotgun wrist gun for her.