What would you change about DS9

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Re: What would you change about DS9

Post by Winter »

Riedquat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:34 pm
Winter wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:59 am DON'T kill Jadzia, I like Ezri and there was an interesting idea and Nicole De Boer is doing her best but this is a new character being introduced in the last season and which takes up to much time while Jadzia staying around would allow more focus to other characters while still giving her a lot to do.
Wasn't that down to Terry Farrell wanting to leave though? So Jadzia had to go one way or the other.
That was mostly due to Farrell wanting to get paid the same amount as her male co-stars and Rick Berman being an asshole. I'm assuming this reworking the series question is being asked with the mindset that we're given complete control of it and, well, I don't think anyone here is as much as an asshole as Rick Berman so I'm assuming we could just raise Farrell's pay to what she wanted and move on with the series.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

There’d be all these questions going through my mind as to who we’re looking at… the symbiote or person. When Ezri comes around that all goes right out the window. It’s made clear that it is just a matter of memory and not much else.
..What mirror universe?
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Winter wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:43 pm
Winter wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:59 am DON'T kill Jadzia, I like Ezri and there was an interesting idea and Nicole De Boer is doing her best but this is a new character being introduced in the last season and which takes up to much time while Jadzia staying around would allow more focus to other characters while still giving her a lot to do.
Wasn't that down to Terry Farrell wanting to leave though? So Jadzia had to go one way or the other.
That was mostly due to Farrell wanting to get paid the same amount as her male co-stars and Rick Berman being an asshole. I'm assuming this reworking the series question is being asked with the mindset that we're given complete control of it and, well, I don't think anyone here is as much as an asshole as Rick Berman so I'm assuming we could just raise Farrell's pay to what she wanted and move on with the series.
Right. Ezri was already a "how do we fix this problem" solution, but I assumed this question would allow us to fix the problem as far back as not needing a new actress. I love Ezri, but she was definitely a solution to a problem that never should have happened. In this thought exercise, Jadzia could stick around.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Deledrius wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:50 pm
Right. Ezri was already a "how do we fix this problem" solution, but I assumed this question would allow us to fix the problem as far back as not needing a new actress. I love Ezri, but she was definitely a solution to a problem that never should have happened. In this thought exercise, Jadzia could stick around.
hey did the writers decided to remove her, or did the actress want to leave, what happen?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:22 pm hey did the writers decided to remove her, or did the actress want to leave, what happen?
She got a gig in the TV series Becker and asked to get reduced involvement with DS9 during negotiations for season 7, to accomodate for her Becker-schedule. Berman allegedly refused, despite making such accomodations to other members of the staff and since Farrel had only signed for 6 seasons originally, she could either stay with DS9 for one more season as a full cast member (but the same salary as before which, by all accounts, was not quite as generous as that of her co-stars - though whether she'd have deserved similar pay is up to debate) or move on with her life. She choose the later and walked away.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

So in other words Berman ruin everything he touches.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Yup. Kurtzman isn't the first and just like his series, he goes to where Berman has gone before.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:16 am Yup. Kurtzman isn't the first and just like his series, he goes to where Berman has gone before.
And yet it's a chain of worse and worse, Gene had some... off ideas but his general concept was grand and he was failing at the end due to age most of all, Berman had a lot of flaws (his homophobia being chief among them) and yet I believed he cared about Trek. Kurtzman... dude does not like Star Trek.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Yes in this scenerio you can make up any excuse what to keep Terry aka Jadzia in season 7.

Tbh, when I came up with this idea I thought about that being the most obvious change in DS9. I love Ezri but it was just too late to bring her character in. Some episodes like the psycho Vulcan can definitely be Jadzia with some tweaks. You coukd even tweak the ending of season 6 and beginning of season 7 by having Sisko retreat back to Earth mysteriously and then it turns out it was the Prophets or Pah Wraiths making him stay on Earth or something.

The capture of Dax and Worf would be different but interesting. Worf being Worf. Still snaps Weyoun's neck which to this day I actually for some reason is funny. Or maybe Damar's reaction or something.

Would probably have invent a new reason why to blow up a star to destroy the shipyards in honor of Jadzia. Something I guess more mundane. Has to be done. Risky mission. Worf and Martok do it just out of sheer enjoyment. I don't know.
I got nothing to say here.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

McAvoy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:32 am You coukd even tweak the ending of season 6 and beginning of season 7 by having Sisko retreat back to Earth mysteriously and then it turns out it was the Prophets or Pah Wraiths making him stay on Earth or something.

----

Would probably have invent a new reason why to blow up a star to destroy the shipyards in honor of Jadzia. Something I guess more mundane. Has to be done. Risky mission. Worf and Martok do it just out of sheer enjoyment. I don't know.
Have Sisko's disappearance be the reason for it. Sisko is gone, the DS9 crew is without their leader and the Dominion is causing more problems now that The Sisko is out of the picture. Have it where it's thought that Sisko was assassinated by the Dominion with none of them knowing that it was related to the Pah Wraiths so to honor their friend and leader Worf, Martok, O'Brien and Bashir go on a mission to take out the shipyards.