What would you change about DS9

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: What would you change about DS9

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

clearspira wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:10 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:30 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:15 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:19 amI don’t think the show ever suggested later that he has a sex drive… and partnerships I believe do transcend sexual proclivities.
I think the show bent over backwards to show Odo sexually attracted to Kira and even giving them a sex scene and that every element of their relationship was implied to be romantic, up to and him killing an entire city of people (albeit that was his cranky future self).

It is far far far away from ace-romantic
Sexual and romantic are significantly distinct. There's nothing to suggest that having a romantic interest is inherently sexually. On top of that, aesexual people will have intercourse with their partners.
I think that the evolutionary link between romance, sex and reproduction is a complicated subject tbh. At the end of the day though, being assexual doesn't mean that you cannot feel pleasure. I just think that with someone like Odo, ALL pleasure is open to him and yet he wastes it.

"Hey, uh, Kira? Honey? Do you fancy giving me oo-mox tonight? How about a nice Centauri six barrel?"

(Jadzia would leave Worf in a heartbeat for him lol)

It's kind of funny really, because "to know a thing is to become a thing" isn't actually wrong. It's just that the Founders are such massive bigots they take away the wrong lessons.
Yeah I’m of the mind that partnerships, or the specific romantic types that we presume ourselves to be talking about, more or less had to do with sexual selection. But… the personal need for companionship doesn’t just go away when we don’t think of sex.
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:30 am Sexual and romantic are significantly distinct. There's nothing to suggest that having a romantic interest is inherently sexually. On top of that, aesexual people will have intercourse with their partners.
My response to this is the same above. Odo is shown sexually attracted to Kira after being shown not to have sexual attraction in earlier seasons.

Also, I said that it is not shown to be ace romantic in nature.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:34 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:30 am Sexual and romantic are significantly distinct. There's nothing to suggest that having a romantic interest is inherently sexually. On top of that, aesexual people will have intercourse with their partners.
My response to this is the same above. Odo is shown sexually attracted to Kira after being shown not to have sexual attraction in earlier seasons.

Also, I said that it is not shown to be ace romantic in nature.
No he’s not. He’s attracted to her.
..What mirror universe?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yeah I mean Odo is qualified ace afaict
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I am surprised no one has talked about Bashir. To me he would be a relatively easy fix to give that build up that he genetically engineered in secret. Some lines here and there to show he is super smart not only in medical areas but perhaps in mathematical areas. Those two times where he was impersonated by a Changling he wasn't as smart as he normally was. Like sometimes, not all the time where the characters would use him as a calculator of sorts. Have hints throughout the show. Then boom, the big reveal.

I also still think having Sela as the Romulan go-to officer during meetings with Sisko and Martok would be nice. Especially for Denise Crosby.
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:26 am I am surprised no one has talked about Bashir. To me he would be a relatively easy fix to give that build up that he genetically engineered in secret. Some lines here and there to show he is super smart not only in medical areas but perhaps in mathematical areas. Those two times where he was impersonated by a Changling he wasn't as smart as he normally was. Like sometimes, not all the time where the characters would use him as a calculator of sorts. Have hints throughout the show. Then boom, the big reveal.

I also still think having Sela as the Romulan go-to officer during meetings with Sisko and Martok would be nice. Especially for Denise Crosby.
Changeling Bashir is a good example of something needing to be improved. We know for a fact that all "grey uniform" episodes are him, yet you simply could not work that out for yourself during said episodes, not even by applying Fridge Brilliance. You get nothing.

Worse, there was an episode with a baby changeling during this time and he shows no interest in it. Really? Given how obsessed the rest of them were with Odo? Given there "no changeling has ever harmed another" rule?

Whole thing comes off as an asspull to me.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:19 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:26 am I am surprised no one has talked about Bashir. To me he would be a relatively easy fix to give that build up that he genetically engineered in secret. Some lines here and there to show he is super smart not only in medical areas but perhaps in mathematical areas. Those two times where he was impersonated by a Changling he wasn't as smart as he normally was. Like sometimes, not all the time where the characters would use him as a calculator of sorts. Have hints throughout the show. Then boom, the big reveal.

Changeling Bashir is a good example of something needing to be improved. We know for a fact that all "grey uniform" episodes are him, yet you simply could not work that out for yourself during said episodes, not even by applying Fridge Brilliance. You get nothing.

Worse, there was an episode with a baby changeling during this time and he shows no interest in it. Really? Given how obsessed the rest of them were with Odo? Given there "no changeling has ever harmed another" rule?

Whole thing comes off as an asspull to me.
Yeah. I wished they planned for that but I suspect the two parter was still in it's early draft phase and maybe they didn't have Bashir in the script yet or no one told other writers on scripts that pre date it about it.

I say this without doing any kind of research on it. I could be wrong.

I would also try to fix the Defiant in Season 7 with the original being destroyed and just getting replaced in the finale anyway. That never sat well with me.

The original Defiant being destroyed was good. It showed that the war was getting very serious for the Allies with the Breen joining the Dominion. Creates a sub-plot for the Klingon and Kira and merry band of Cardasdians freedom fighters.

The you bring in the the new Defiant. They did this so they can reuse footage from season 6. It's just the concept of the original being destroyed and ending up getting replaced. I know Admiral Ross said he would get Sisko a new ship.
I got nothing to say here.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

One thing they should NOT do is change O'Brien. Starfleet's only enlisted man doing the jobs of at least three senior officers with entire departments himself is perfect and needs to be preserved.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

I honnestly think the Bashir genetically modified thing is fine as is. Yes it's totally a retcon but his character early on was so incoherently written that it worked better than it should of in explaining it.

Like I'm listening to Delta Flyers covering s1 of DS9. There's a specific line from Bashir that Shimmerman notes at the time it just makes him sound overly arrogant, but with the retcon it's just him playfully implying his secret and it works a lot better.

Also man it's annoying they're no longer doing the actual review bit anymore. Guessing it's now locked behind the patreon version.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Could be fun, have an episode where Kira goes to the future see that happen, and is left wondering what to do. In this new culture something like the Cardassian occupation again, but at the expense of so many innocent. So her choice do the safe and immoral thing, or what she knows is right and dangerous.