What would you change about DS9

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: What would you change about DS9

Post by clearspira »

stryke wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:10 pm I honnestly think the Bashir genetically modified thing is fine as is. Yes it's totally a retcon but his character early on was so incoherently written that it worked better than it should of in explaining it.

Like I'm listening to Delta Flyers covering s1 of DS9. There's a specific line from Bashir that Shimmerman notes at the time it just makes him sound overly arrogant, but with the retcon it's just him playfully implying his secret and it works a lot better.

Also man it's annoying they're no longer doing the actual review bit anymore. Guessing it's now locked behind the patreon version.
That's my thoughts too actually - Fridge Brilliance when applied to this retcon changes everything and nothing at the same time. Every episode Bashir does something a bit odd, suddenly it's him intentionally being a prick, or him hiding a skill, or him playing 4D chess. Especially the part where he is second in his class for a simple mistake or his playacting as ''Julian Bashir superspy'' on the holodeck - these are pure ''chef's kiss'' in hindsight.

And yet, nothing is really being harmed in the narratives of these episodes. This is not another ''Batman gets mind raped by his friends because of Dr Light'' scenario. I would go as far as to say that this is one of the best retcons in history precisely because it actually changes nothing apart from our perceptions of one character.

As an aside, we are still getting an hour's worth of content from Delta Flyers so I wouldn't say that it's a waste of time or anything. The format had to change slightly with the show shift anyway.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:28 am One thing they should NOT do is change O'Brien. Starfleet's only enlisted man doing the jobs of at least three senior officers with entire departments himself is perfect and needs to be preserved.
Well that's why there is a statue of him in far future of course.
I got nothing to say here.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

clearspira wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:04 pm As an aside, we are still getting an hour's worth of content from Delta Flyers so I wouldn't say that it's a waste of time or anything. The format had to change slightly with the show shift anyway.
Oh sure, I don't want to be too harsh as it's not bad. Just a bit annoying how the pod just stops without any extra thoughts at the end of the recap.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

stryke wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:10 pm I honnestly think the Bashir genetically modified thing is fine as is. Yes it's totally a retcon but his character early on was so incoherently written that it worked better than it should of in explaining it.
I agree. Bashir didn't really have a THING before this. Being genetically enhanced is an asspull but it provides him an arc.

It also explains why this super genius is out in the Federation's edge.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

stryke wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:32 am
clearspira wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:04 pm As an aside, we are still getting an hour's worth of content from Delta Flyers so I wouldn't say that it's a waste of time or anything. The format had to change slightly with the show shift anyway.
Oh sure, I don't want to be too harsh as it's not bad. Just a bit annoying how the pod just stops without any extra thoughts at the end of the recap.
Yikes, that sounds like they've removed the bulk of the reason to even bother listening.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Deledrius wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:00 pm Yikes, that sounds like they've removed the bulk of the reason to even bother listening.
I was going to say that's harsh... but then I listened to Move along home to day, and yeah I think you might be right.

Maybe it's unfair to compair it to the SFDebris review, as that's one of really great ones, and yeah also heavy bias given I like his stuff enough to be on this forum, but dang does this pale in comparison in terms of the discussion.

I tried to pay attention to the added 'value' I was getting from this podcast that I wouldn't have got from just re-watching the ep and there wasn't much. Robert Duncan McNeil discussed an interesting visual shot I would have missed, he got a good crack in about how he was glad he wasn't the one doing the dance, Shimmerman talked about how he tried to make Quark more three dimensional than the writer's intended, some insight into how Garrett Wang is spending his cut on the patreon on, and that was really about it which ain't great.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

stryke wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:29 am
Deledrius wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:00 pm Yikes, that sounds like they've removed the bulk of the reason to even bother listening.
I was going to say that's harsh... but then I listened to Move along home to day, and yeah I think you might be right.

Maybe it's unfair to compair it to the SFDebris review, as that's one of really great ones, and yeah also heavy bias given I like his stuff enough to be on this forum, but dang does this pale in comparison in terms of the discussion.

I tried to pay attention to the added 'value' I was getting from this podcast that I wouldn't have got from just re-watching the ep and there wasn't much. Robert Duncan McNeil discussed an interesting visual shot I would have missed, he got a good crack in about how he was glad he wasn't the one doing the dance, Shimmerman talked about how he tried to make Quark more three dimensional than the writer's intended, some insight into how Garrett Wang is spending his cut on the patreon on, and that was really about it which ain't great.
I got to disagree, because I found what Shimmerman was saying to be fascinating. Our perception as the viewer of the Ferengi in season 1 is still that of those comic relief idiots that we got in TNG - and that is exactly what the scene read like. But he took it upon himself to try and add a little weight and emotion to it to try and flesh out the character and was later told off for it! Shimmerman is responsible for making Quark a real person, not the writers.

This is the sort of juice that I want. I'm reminded of "Q Who" where the script called for another "AND THOU SHALT SMITE THEE" line reading and DeLancie went with a simple dismissive "oh please." That is arguably where the Q we know was born, not the TOS cardboard cut out villain from season 1.

That is what separates an average actor from a great one and It's amazing just how often even great shows need that input.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

clearspira wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:59 pm I got to disagree, because I found what Shimmerman was saying to be fascinating. Our perception as the viewer of the Ferengi in season 1 is still that of those comic relief idiots that we got in TNG - and that is exactly what the scene read like. But he took it upon himself to try and add a little weight and emotion to it to try and flesh out the character and was later told off for it! Shimmerman is responsible for making Quark a real person, not the writers.

This is the sort of juice that I want. I'm reminded of "Q Who" where the script called for another "AND THOU SHALT SMITE THEE" line reading and DeLancie went with a simple dismissive "oh please." That is arguably where the Q we know was born, not the TOS cardboard cut out villain from season 1.

That is what separates an average actor from a great one and It's amazing just how often even great shows need that input.
If you enjoy that, then you should check out the hours-worth of talking on the subject he's done with Cirroc over on The 7th Rule.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

clearspira wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:59 pm I got to disagree, because I found what Shimmerman was saying to be fascinating.
I did too, but that was like 1-2 minutes of an hour and 10 minutes. I'm not sure that's a great hit rate of a return.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Okay to be fair, the Ferengi makeup discussion this week on the podcast was really great.