Suicide Squad may be a fantastic bomb

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Suicide Squad may be a fantastic bomb

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Here's the sales of previous Arkam games:

Origins and Knight sold over 7 million copies

Asylum at over 9 million

And City at over 12 million

So if Suicide Squad can't even sell 100k copies then that is a catastrophic failure.

Plus there's a massive amount of behind the scenes budget ballooning issues.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Suicide Squad may be a fantastic bomb

Post by clearspira »

From what I hear, there is deep controversy over the ending. It's not just *spoiler* but its the way that it happens. Nowadays that sort of news travels.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

The whole idea seems too deep in edge lord nonsense for widespread appeal anyway
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:30 am From what I hear, there is deep controversy over the ending. It's not just *spoiler* but its the way that it happens. Nowadays that sort of news travels.
I mean it's in the fucking title. Somewhere, some executive went, "You know what? I bet that these massively popular pop culture icons that are deeply personal and beloved by fans are ones that we can monetize being murdered by antiheroes."

It's effectively a Spider-Man game advertised as, "SPIDER-MAN: KILL MARY JANE"

I mean, it'd sell to Joe Quesada but I'm not sure who else.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:18 pm
It's effectively a Spider-Man game advertised as, "SPIDER-MAN: KILL MARY JANE"

I mean, it'd sell to Joe Quesada but I'm not sure who else.
I dunno, the last decade in media discourse has shown there are plenty of people who like this kind of thing, even if it's only because it hurts someone else.

Maybe not enough to fund a film or game, but certainly enough to keep the engagement going on social media to fuel ad revenue.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

You know a lot of people, myself included, have joked that this was clearly written by Garth Ennis but that's actually rather unfair as Ennis actually has written Superhero stories with both Marvel & DC and was able to do so professionally. Honestly the only heroes he can't write well is Captain America and Wolverine due to his personal dislike of both characters for reasons that are rather, to put it politely, silly.

So, yeah, even Ennis has done a better job at writing these characters.

Even ClownPuncher139 who openly admitted to enjoying the game for both the gameplay and comedy (to each their own I'm not judging) agreed that the game's story is terrible and disrespectful to the characters. Which is a common theme I've seen, most who like the game enjoy it because they like the gameplay and are admitted fans of lowbrow humor (again not judging I'm still laughing at Oversimplified's dick of war joke from his Second Punic War video) but most agree that the story is just not enjoyable.

Even people who openly think Superman is a flat and boring character have stated that they dislike how he is written here if just because he should be making mince meat of the Squad in a matter of seconds.

The biggest problem with this game is that goes straight into grim dark territory which has no real wide appeal for reasons best said by Terry Pratchett
“Why does the third of the three brothers, who shares his food with the old woman in the wood, go on to become king of the country? Why does James Bond manage to disarm the nuclear bomb a few seconds before it goes off rather than, as it were, a few seconds afterwards? Because a universe where that did not happen would be a dark and hostile place. Let there be goblin hordes, let there be terrible environmental threats, let there be giant mutated slugs if you really must, but let there also be hope. It may be a grim, thin hope, an Arthurian sword at sunset, but let us know that we do not live in vain.”
And one of the achievements of this game is literally titled Abandon All Hope and the fact that one of the lead characters is the Arkhamverse's Harley Quinn hurts the game both due to being more unpopular then other versions and being someone who helped in the murder of a child.

It's hard to get invested in a story that is so openly dark and depressing that even people who write dark and depressing stories have gone

Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

Winter wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:23 pm You know a lot of people, myself included, have joked that this was clearly written by Garth Ennis but that's actually rather unfair as Ennis actually has written Superhero stories with both Marvel & DC and was able to do so professionally. Honestly the only heroes he can't write well is Captain America and Wolverine due to his personal dislike of both characters for reasons that are rather, to put it politely, silly.

So, yeah, even Ennis has done a better job at writing these characters.

Even ClownPuncher139 who openly admitted to enjoying the game for both the gameplay and comedy (to each their own I'm not judging) agreed that the game's story is terrible and disrespectful to the characters. Which is a common theme I've seen, most who like the game enjoy it because they like the gameplay and are admitted fans of lowbrow humor (again not judging I'm still laughing at Oversimplified's dick of war joke from his Second Punic War video) but most agree that the story is just not enjoyable.

Even people who openly think Superman is a flat and boring character have stated that they dislike how he is written here if just because he should be making mince meat of the Squad in a matter of seconds.

The biggest problem with this game is that goes straight into grim dark territory which has no real wide appeal for reasons best said by Terry Pratchett
“Why does the third of the three brothers, who shares his food with the old woman in the wood, go on to become king of the country? Why does James Bond manage to disarm the nuclear bomb a few seconds before it goes off rather than, as it were, a few seconds afterwards? Because a universe where that did not happen would be a dark and hostile place. Let there be goblin hordes, let there be terrible environmental threats, let there be giant mutated slugs if you really must, but let there also be hope. It may be a grim, thin hope, an Arthurian sword at sunset, but let us know that we do not live in vain.”
And one of the achievements of this game is literally titled Abandon All Hope and the fact that one of the lead characters is the Arkhamverse's Harley Quinn hurts the game both due to being more unpopular then other versions and being someone who helped in the murder of a child.

It's hard to get invested in a story that is so openly dark and depressing that even people who write dark and depressing stories have gone

My favorite part of that panel is the fact that it would be revealed the Hawkman they knew was actually a Thanagarian spy who abused and gaslighted his wife and was a horrible bastard who also abused his son. Dunno why that makes me chuckle in devilish delight at Batman mocking him for being a killjoy, unaware the Hawkman he's talking too is evil.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

I recommend people use their money to purchase Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth instead of wasting money on this trash.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

BBally81 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:50 pm I recommend people use their money to purchase Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth instead of wasting money on this trash.
Funny, been HEAVILY enjoying the game.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Nobody700 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:32 pm
BBally81 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:50 pm I recommend people use their money to purchase Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth instead of wasting money on this trash.
Funny, been HEAVILY enjoying the game.
You mean suicide squad or infinite wealth?
..What mirror universe?