What would you change about DS9

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: What would you change about DS9

Post by McAvoy »

So I saw a clip where Ira basically said making Bashir genetically engineered was made on the fly. As in for that episode. I think the reason why it worked because of really how ill defined Bashir really was as a character. Yeah he was annoying, green doctor who messed up on something simple. He had an ego and was obviously smart. That's about it. So his earlier behavior could be attributed him intentionally hiding his obvious genius level, Spock level intellect.
I got nothing to say here.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Make the Pah Wraiths gnome-like little creatures instead of the series big bads.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:52 pm Make the Pah Wraiths gnome-like little creatures instead of the series big bads.
Happy little folks chilling in their caves living their best lives.

Prophets: you know what, fuck them in particular.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

And unsubscribed today.

They did an ad read for their patreon on today's ep, and the ratings have gone to patreon only.

Guess I'll give it 6 months to a year to forget what I'd already listened to, and then sign up pretending it's a whole new podcast.

Though it will be resentful. I do not object to patreon. I supported SFDebris for years at a reasonable tier before I hit a bad financial downturn and could no longer justify it. Thing is when it's someone's main source of income then it's more than reasonable to get paid for their time and so I understand if they need to engage in some hustle to shake people's wallets loose.

Less understanding when you have four former Trek actors, some who are still active in the industry, who all aren't going to be struggling you'd think with out going quite so hard at the hustle. The Voyager version seemed a lot more reasonable in helping out to justify the time they were spending. This seems a lot more grasping to me if that makes sense?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

stryke wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:00 am And unsubscribed today.

They did an ad read for their patreon on today's ep, and the ratings have gone to patreon only.

Guess I'll give it 6 months to a year to forget what I'd already listened to, and then sign up pretending it's a whole new podcast.

Though it will be resentful. I do not object to patreon. I supported SFDebris for years at a reasonable tier before I hit a bad financial downturn and could no longer justify it. Thing is when it's someone's main source of income then it's more than reasonable to get paid for their time and so I understand if they need to engage in some hustle to shake people's wallets loose.

Less understanding when you have four former Trek actors, some who are still active in the industry, who all aren't going to be struggling you'd think with out going quite so hard at the hustle. The Voyager version seemed a lot more reasonable in helping out to justify the time they were spending. This seems a lot more grasping to me if that makes sense?
Ratings being patron only is bs, I agree.

And as you say about Chuck, he actually puts out several videos a week that require editing and and scripting. This podcast is just a bunch of actors talking. It's hardly tough work.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:53 am So I saw a clip where Ira basically said making Bashir genetically engineered was made on the fly. As in for that episode. I think the reason why it worked because of really how ill defined Bashir really was as a character. Yeah he was annoying, green doctor who messed up on something simple. He had an ego and was obviously smart. That's about it. So his earlier behavior could be attributed him intentionally hiding his obvious genius level, Spock level intellect.
Bashir 2.0 is a much better character, though I really never got the impression that the whole thing was planned out, if that's what your idea was.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:03 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:53 am So I saw a clip where Ira basically said making Bashir genetically engineered was made on the fly. As in for that episode. I think the reason why it worked because of really how ill defined Bashir really was as a character. Yeah he was annoying, green doctor who messed up on something simple. He had an ego and was obviously smart. That's about it. So his earlier behavior could be attributed him intentionally hiding his obvious genius level, Spock level intellect.
Bashir 2.0 is a much better character, though I really never got the impression that the whole thing was planned out, if that's what your idea was.
Nah.

Bashir in himself as a character wasn't that planned out. His quirks, his intelligence just worked almost perfectly with the genetically engineered storyline.

I haven't paid that much attention to Bashir outside his Spock like calculations and the Misfit episodes. He was Bashir even after that right?
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Here's something I hope they fix in the near future which is bringing Sisko back. I always hated how Sisko's ending in the series. I mean every other Captain got to continue to keep going on adventures after their show ended even if we don't see them but Sisko honestly got screwed over at the end because he is to date, the only captain to more or less die at the end of his series.

Kirk got several movies and is still appearing in both film and TV, Picard got an entire sequel series, Janeway is in Star Trek: Prodigy and even Archer has gotten a mention in the Kelvin Timeline. But Sisko, outside of a few tie-in novels which are not canon he's gotten nothing.

Next to the death of Dax this is my single biggest gripe with the show and it still bugs me and I hope they fix it in the Discovery Era soon.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Winter wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:34 am Here's something I hope they fix in the near future which is bringing Sisko back. I always hated how Sisko's ending in the series. I mean every other Captain got to continue to keep going on adventures after their show ended even if we don't see them but Sisko honestly got screwed over at the end because he is to date, the only captain to more or less die at the end of his series.

Kirk got several movies and is still appearing in both film and TV, Picard got an entire sequel series, Janeway is in Star Trek: Prodigy and even Archer has gotten a mention in the Kelvin Timeline. But Sisko, outside of a few tie-in novels which are not canon he's gotten nothing.

Next to the death of Dax this is my single biggest gripe with the show and it still bugs me and I hope they fix it in the Discovery Era soon.
I am not sure about Avery Brooks but he might be willing to do a cameo if someone actually remembers him. Could be just a videl recording on some console. Just show that he did return at some time and he is on Bajor.

Avery Brooks made a big deal about having no scene showing Sisko potentially returning due to that perceived idea that black men leaving their family whether true or not.

I think mentioning that would have been good blackmail to show that he didn't. Even if he doesn't show up for an actual scene.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

McAvoy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:48 am Avery Brooks made a big deal about having no scene showing Sisko potentially returning due to that perceived idea that black men leaving their family whether true or not.
I thought it was the other way round? That he insisted that there was the mention of the potential he could return to avoid the stigme of him running out on one kid and a pregnant wife.