Silly Question Time: Should I Make Terry McGinnis a Red Head?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Silly Question Time: Should I Make Terry McGinnis a Red Head?

Post by Winter »

I HATE Terry being Bruce's son.

For me this completely undercuts and ruins Terry's character making it so he no longer chose to be Batman but was destined to be Batman, he was going to be the Dark Knight no matter what he wanted. Yes Epilogue says that Terry still choose to be Batman but the way the story frames it makes it seems that No Terry never had a choice. Making him Bruce's son removes what made Terry spacial, that being he's NOT spacial!

He was a juvenile delinquent who lost his father due to some CEO deciding to kill him because he learned to much and became Batman to avenge his father and became a hero because he realized he could do so much good as a hero. He wasn't born to be Batman he CHOOSE to be Batman. Bruce saw that Terry had what it took to be Batman on his own merits, and no other reason.

Suddenly injecting the idea that Terry was secretly Bruce's son in a convoluted plot that feels like it was written by someone who never saw an episode of Batman Beyond suddenly changes the story and for the worst IMO.

And this was the result of one fan noting the oddity of Terry having Black Hair when he's father had brown and his mother had red... That's it, that's what spawned this whole story, Terry is Bruce's son because they had the same hair color...

youtu.be/UHlnCzalw1s

So, for that reason I'm going to give Terry RED HAIR. And if fans want him to have black hair again I can just dye it in the next season with a simple throwaway lines of Terry just wanting to dye his hair. I also figure I could go for a deep auburn red hair, so it's dark but still clearly red to compromise and honestly I think Terry would look great as a red head.

Thoughts?
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Silly Question Time: Should I Make Terry McGinnis a Red Head?

Post by Madner Kami »

Winter wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:28 amThoughts?
At times I think you're insane or, at the very least, borderline villain-levels of obsessive.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:37 am
At times I think you're insane or, at the very least, borderline villain-levels of obsessive.
Uh, okay. That was needlessly mean. I mean I do suffer from mild OCD and I'm currently dealing with the death of my dad so I'm trying to keep my mind occupied by focusing on things I like and I'm currently working on an idea for a Batman Beyond Reboot.

Is there a problem with this?
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

I feel like maybe putting EVERY thought you have on a forum is... not the best choice, but I understand wanting to do something you're passionate about to make yourself feel better about tragedy. How about this, write down what you are, don't ask for input from strangers, and than ask friends after to see how it is. It's far healthier to do that.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Winter wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:50 am
Uh, okay. That was needlessly mean. I mean I do suffer from mild OCD and I'm currently dealing with the death of my dad so I'm trying to keep my mind occupied by focusing on things I like and I'm currently working on an idea for a Batman Beyond Reboot.

Think of it as this: There's a public forum and there's this one girl who stands on her soap-box preaching her sermons. What she says vaguely intersects with a theme you're interested in, so you're listening in and after a moment realize, that what she's selling isn't something you're interested in. You turn around and try to walk away and, lo and behold, the girl you just walked away stands in front of you on another soap-box and preaches a slightly different sermon that still touches the same issue as raised before, but you again need a moment to adjust to what she's talking about, just to find out it's not something you're interested in buying. So you turn around and begin to walk away and wouldn't you know it, the same girl on a suspiciously similarly looking soap-box is right in front of you and preaches about something you're vaguely interested in and so you again listen in and find out it's nothing for you, so you turn around and... there she is again. Et cetera et cetera.

There comes a point when a little bit too much, becomes slightly annoying and when it keeps being annoying, it becomes bothersome and soon enough becomes grating. I'm certain you know that feeling and I am not trying to be mean to you. On the contrary, I'm being straight to you, something which I very rarely am in reallife, due to working in the service industry. What I am trying to communicate to you is, that this is all becoming a little bit too much, at least for me in particular.

And that you're dealing with an OCD and also compensating for bad things happening in your reallife is very obvious to me. You have my sincerest sympathies for the loss of your father, but I don't feel the way you're dealing with this and your neurodiversity is healthy for yourself, nor the people around you. If you wanna write a fanfic, do so. You don't need my opinion about where Terry should come from or what hair-colour he's got, nor anyone's for that matter. You wanna write about a Batman Beyond who wasn't made by Amanda Waller to specifically be a Batman 2.0? Then do so. Feel free to post a link and ask for input, but give me the chance to evade your soap-box, because I'm genuinely feeling like a ginuea pig in a labyrinth, with you being the scientist placing the ever same just slightly altered obstacle into my way.

P.S.: Before someone comes up with it: Yes I could just ignore each and every thread she starts or post she makes. The thing is just, that sometimes she's got something interesting to say and wanna know about her opinions and ideas. I just don't like walking into what is essentially the same thread with a minute detail changed over and over again.

P.P.S.: Oh one more thing, Winter. Write your own stories and envision your own characters. I and many other people stopped caring about the umpteenth iteration of the same character, just because a writer didn't like a detail. Take the character as is and do something interesting with it or do your own thing.

P.P.P.S.: I'm someone who can listen to the exact same song for days on end, but I am very well aware of the fact, that other people may not like my music and even if they do, they may not connect to my perception of it and are not interested in how listening to a given song changes my perception of it. They listened to it and are done and me forcing them to do it again and again, doesn't entice them to listen to my prefered music in the future.
Last edited by Madner Kami on Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:12 am
Winter wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:50 am

Think of it as this: There's a public forum and there's this one guy who stands on his soap-box preaching his sermons. What he says vaguely intersects with a theme you're interested in, so you're listening in and after a moment realize, that what he's selling isn't something you're interested in. You turn around and try to walk away and, lo and behold, the guy you just walked away stands in front of you on another soap-box and preaches a slightly different sermon that still touches the same issue as raised before, but you again need a moment to adjust to what he's talking about, just to find out it's not something you're interested in buying. So you turn around and begin to walk away and wouldn't you know it, the same guy on a suspiciously similarly looking soap-box is right in front of you and preaches about something you're vaguely interested in and so you again listen in and find out it's nothing for you, so you turn around and... there he is again. Et cetera et cetera.

There comes a point when a little bit too much, becomes slightly annoying and when it keeps being annoying, it becomes bothersome and soon enough becomes grating. I'm certain you know that feeling and I am not trying to be mean to you. On the contrary, I'm being straight to you, something which I very rarely am in reallife, due to working in the service industry. What I am trying to communicate to you is, that this is all becoming a little bit too much, at least for me in particular.

And that you're dealing with an OCD and also compensating for bad things happening in your reallife is very obvious to me. You have my sincerest sympathies for the loss of your father, but I don't feel the way you're dealing with this and your neurodiversity is healthy for yourself, nor the people around you. If you wanna write a fanfic, do so. You don't need my opinion about where Terry should come from or what hair-colour he's got, nor anyone's for that matter. You wanna write about a Batman Beyond who wasn't made by Amanda Waller to specifically be a Batman 2.0? Then do so. Feel free to post a link and ask for input, but give me the chance to evade your soap-box, because I'm genuinely feeling like a ginuea pig in a labyrinth, with you being the scientist placing the ever same just slightly altered obstacle into my way.

P.S.: Before someone comes up with it: Yes I could just ignore each and every thread he starts or post he makes. The thing is just, that sometimes he's got something interesting to say and wanna know about his opinions and ideas. I just don't like walking into what is essentially the same thread with a minute detail changed over and over again.
... I posted a question of whether or not Terry should have red hair, and it's literally one of two things I've posted here in a week. This is a silly question, meant to just talk about something that bugs me. Are you really taking things this seriously?

I don't even post most of my ideas here, just silly ones that pop into my head. I mean my lost post was going over the annoyance of King Shark using a Green Lantern ring which is just a moment in a really dumb game that I don't think anyone here has actually played.

How is that the same thing as Terry's hair color.

All I did was ask for an opinions on this silly question (it's literally in the title of this post that this is a silly question) your response is to insult me and misgender me. Repeatedly!
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

I say keep it dark, Terry is better that way.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Nobody700 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:21 am I say keep it dark, Terry is better that way.
Please keep in mind that this is me just joking so just role with the silliness of the following.

I will admit that part of me wants to do this because there has been so many cases of Gingers being replaced by literally anyone who doesn't have red hair that I kinda want to let the Reds take one for themselves. Like Thor is a red head in the original myths yet he's often given blond hair or sometimes black hair. I think God of War Ragnarök is the first time an adaptation actually gave Thor his red hair back it's kinda weird.

So, part of me just wants Terry to have red hair to avenge the gingers.

But again I'm willing to meet everyone halfway and give Terry deep auburn red hair which is pretty dark but still clearly red.

But at this point I'm in the VERY early stages of outlining the series and, let's be honest, a characters hair color isn't that important. And again, worse comes to worse I can have him be a red head who just dies his hair black because he prefers it that way.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I say you should, since his mask cover his head you wouldn't have to change his hero design in the slightest.

PS is it weird I originally read that as "Should I make Terry McGinnis Red Hood?"
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:52 pm PS is it weird I originally read that as "Should I make Terry McGinnis Red Hood?"
With this fandom, it be weirder if you didn't read it as that.