Frozen Embyros

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Frozen Embyros

Post by Thebestoftherest »

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/20/us/alaba ... index.html

Now let say I have no idea what this is, explain it to me.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Frozen Embyros

Post by McAvoy »

Frozen embryos as in fully fertilized eggs is considered children and cannot be destroyed.
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I think this is a more complicated discussion than regular abortion because the standard arguments of ''the woman's life'' or ''my body my choice'' or ''an unwanted child being born underneath a pool table'' no longer apply. This really is just an egg sitting on a shelf minding its own business that you are trying to throw away because you do not want it anymore. That doesn't sit right with me, life shouldn't be that disposable.

For the record I am pro-abortion, I just do not think that this is the same discussion at all.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

They weren't even thrown away in this case, they were being stored for later use by people who very much wanted them and some idiot who wasn't even supposed to be there killed them by accident.

Although since this ruling effectively banned IFV in the state and they wouldn't be able to use them anyway they would have had to throw them out now.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

So banning them sounds like a bad thing.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:13 am I think this is a more complicated discussion than regular abortion because the standard arguments of ''the woman's life'' or ''my body my choice'' or ''an unwanted child being born underneath a pool table'' no longer apply. This really is just an egg sitting on a shelf minding its own business that you are trying to throw away because you do not want it anymore. That doesn't sit right with me, life shouldn't be that disposable.

For the record I am pro-abortion, I just do not think that this is the same discussion at all.
So you're morally oppposed to in-vitro fertilization? Because the process cannot be done without throwing away lots of eggs.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

clearspira wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:13 am I think this is a more complicated discussion than regular abortion because the standard arguments of ''the woman's life'' or ''my body my choice'' or ''an unwanted child being born underneath a pool table'' no longer apply. This really is just an egg sitting on a shelf minding its own business that you are trying to throw away because you do not want it anymore. That doesn't sit right with me, life shouldn't be that disposable.

An egg might be the potential for life but it isn't life. Let's not go down the "every sperm is sacred" path.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Riedquat wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:35 pm

An egg might be the potential for life but it isn't life. Let's not go down the "every sperm is sacred" path.
It’s definitely an organism. Human life would be a harder argument.
..What mirror universe?
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:01 pm

Life in the technical biological sense perhaps, but no more than that.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:01 pm

I think it would be almost impossible to make that argument unless one uses the broadest, most useless definitions of Human Life. "Organism" is not even a given, since this is not a self-sustaining object that can respirate or reproduce. It cannot survive on its own. It is not a living thing. It is a potential precursor; even that is a gamble.

It is, by any rational definition, clearly on the "not yet life" side of the argument the same as a sperm or egg cell. It is closer to that line than either of them, but even with fuzzy borders it doesn't qualify as life.

It only qualifies under mysticism, and this constant shifting of the Overton window that's being used as a wedge issue.