Jessie Gender's re-watch of ST: DISCO

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Jessie Gender's re-watch of ST: DISCO

Post by CharlesPhipps »

McAvoy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:38 pm About Jessie Gender. I have seen her videos pop up every now and again on YouTube but haven't sat down listened/watched any of them yet. I haven't even listened/watched any of Chuck's reviews of Disco due to I don't like having five ads pop up in a 12 minute video. He hasn't shifted them to YouTube where I pay money not to see ads. Money well spent BTW.
Chuck fucking hates DISCO even when he's not trying to. He can't even make fun of it because there's nothing funny to latch onto like ENT or VOY.

He likes Lower Decks after episodes 1 and 2.

He also has the joy of SNW.

Picard....see DISCO but add four lights.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Disco really wears its production issues on its sleeves in the first two seasons, so it has a terrible habit of undercutting its strongest themes and arcs constantly. It's way better in the 3rd and 4th season, but it does suffer somewhat from not fully realizing the potential of those storylines.

Like, I think the Burn could have just been a background element for two or three seasons with season 3 focusing strictly on establishing this 31st century Federation and Discovery's place in it and been stronger for it, but there's still a lot more just good strong Trek I can point to. Meanwhile in season 1 there's a lot of good SCENES but entire episodes are like... pretty much just Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad is front to back good I'd say.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

Funny, I actually thought season 3 and 4 were WORSE than season 1 and 2. Do they fix stuff? VERY MUCH, Yes. The show is no longer blue every single second. But 3 is just an idiot plot and 4 is a nothing plot.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

CmdrKing wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:17 pm Disco really wears its production issues on its sleeves in the first two seasons, so it has a terrible habit of undercutting its strongest themes and arcs constantly. It's way better in the 3rd and 4th season, but it does suffer somewhat from not fully realizing the potential of those storylines.

Like, I think the Burn could have just been a background element for two or three seasons with season 3 focusing strictly on establishing this 31st century Federation and Discovery's place in it and been stronger for it, but there's still a lot more just good strong Trek I can point to. Meanwhile in season 1 there's a lot of good SCENES but entire episodes are like... pretty much just Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad is front to back good I'd say.
Season 4 killed my interest in DISCO because they just go, "Oh and the Federation is rebuilt."

Like...what?

The fucking new premise of the show is just over?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

That monopoly on reliable FTL went a long way apparently.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:26 am I hate Tilly.
Those words are blasphemy! Do not blaspheme, do not blaspheme, do not blaspheme!
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:45 pm Season 4 killed my interest in DISCO because they just go, "Oh and the Federation is rebuilt."

Like...what?

That's what I mean. I don't think it's too absurd to suggest that the restoration of full scale warp technology quickly mended the fractured Federation, at least in a TV Logic kinda way. But not spending some episodes showing that rift mending, and indeed introducing an instant solution to that problem at the end of the same storyline (ie Season 3) that introduced it rather than letting it simmer and exploring the new opportunities for stories in this new status quo was a waste of potential.

So like, when I praise season 4 what I mean is I think its season arc and the overall quality of its individual episodes are higher than season 1 because they're a lot more cohesive. I absolutely agree that a season 4 that spent more time with the conflicts introduced in season 3 would have been better. Shit, let this new plotline be an impetus to work harder at restoring the federation: this is something new they've never seen before, so more perspectives on the problem are required, that sorta thing.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:55 amI think we're all in agreement that Disco is now kind of the odd man out of the Nu Trek era as while you may have your issues with Picard, everyone likes Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks.
Hmno. I can take Lower Decks for what it is (though still: Fuck Mariner), but the rest, I just detest.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:09 pm
McAvoy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:38 pm About Jessie Gender. I have seen her videos pop up every now and again on YouTube but haven't sat down listened/watched any of them yet. I haven't even listened/watched any of Chuck's reviews of Disco due to I don't like having five ads pop up in a 12 minute video. He hasn't shifted them to YouTube where I pay money not to see ads. Money well spent BTW.
Chuck fucking hates DISCO even when he's not trying to. He can't even make fun of it because there's nothing funny to latch onto like ENT or VOY.

He likes Lower Decks after episodes 1 and 2.

He also has the joy of SNW.

Picard....see DISCO but add four lights.
I have watched the reviews for SNW and Lower Decks. Not Picard or Discovery.

I mean I could try to stomach the ads as I have done before, but Discovery is such a chore to me. I will watch season 5 of course. But mainly because to me it's like watching a train derailment. I want to see how bad it gets, the final tally of dead and the aftermath. Who knows maybe they will pull some ideas from SNW and finally write a good season. But I am not getting my hopes up.
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:45 pm
CmdrKing wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:17 pm Disco really wears its production issues on its sleeves in the first two seasons, so it has a terrible habit of undercutting its strongest themes and arcs constantly. It's way better in the 3rd and 4th season, but it does suffer somewhat from not fully realizing the potential of those storylines.

Season 4 killed my interest in DISCO because they just go, "Oh and the Federation is rebuilt."

Like...what?

I like many people accused STD season 3 of being a rip-off of Andromeda. Ironically however, it takes Dylan 3 seasons to put the Commonwealth back together and it falls again briefly in season 4.

Andromeda has better pacing than STD.