How well do you think that Harry Potter has aged? (Spoilers)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: How well do you think that Harry Potter has aged? (Spoilers)

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:09 am This makes good point, counter?
I think it's ridiculously insulting to people who in-universe fought and died to kill Wizard Nazis. Mind you, the progressive hatred of Centrism is a pretty common thing and even get made fun of in DISCO ELYSIUM as it shows them so stuck up their own ass they're unable to accomplish anything.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

The Dursleys were definitely mocking middle class attitudes of the day. I don't know about Hermione - I do know that she is also apprantly an author avatar which says something about JK Rowling if true.

I think one place where this book definitely has not aged well is how she treats the love (read: magical roofies) potions. I know that we get the whole ''Voldemort is Voldemort because of them'' thing so Rowling wasn't completely blind to this. But they are treated like a absolute joke when used on the boys in a way that it would NEVER have been done with the girls. Even Hermione - whilst not approving of them - is very matter-of-fact when telling Harry that his fangirls are planning to slip him a roofie. As opposed to ''holy shit, Harry, I had better go to McGonagall.''

Oh, and if these books are for kids, maybe that is a FUCKING TERRIBLE message to be sending?

Edit: Umbridge is absolutely raped by centaurs for laughs too.
Last edited by clearspira on Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Has everyone on here seen Shaun's Harry Potter video essay? He goes over a lot of the same points I see people raising on this thread.

https://youtu.be/-1iaJWSwUZs?si=UChgOoIhexmAfU1t
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:46 am The Dursleys were definitely mocking middle class attitudes of the day. I don't know about Hermione - I do know that she is also apprantly an author avatar which says something about JK Rowling if true.

I think one place where this book definitely has not aged well is how she treats the love (read: magical roofies) potions. I know that we get the whole ''Voldemort is Voldemort because of them'' thing so Rowling wasn't completely blind to this. But they are treated like a absolute joke when used on the boys in a way that it would NEVER have been done with the girls. Even Hermione - whilst not approving of them - is very matter-of-fact when telling Harry that his fangirls are planning to slip him a roofie. As opposed to ''holy shit, Harry, I had better go to McGonagall.''

Oh, and if these books are for kids, maybe that is a FUCKING TERRIBLE message to be sending?
Odd fact:

The Purple Girl, The Purple Man's daughter, enslaved Northstar and forced him to be her boyfriend in ALPHA FLIGHT's original run.

Everyone thought it was hilarious despite the fact he was a gay man.
Edit: Umbridge is absolutely raped by centaurs for laughs too.
I think they just used her as a football.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Oh gods, the "love potions". I had forgotten about those.
It's also an incredible failure of world-building that only girls seem to use them. Like...does Rowling just not think about the concepts she introduces?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:21 pm Oh gods, the "love potions". I had forgotten about those.
It's also an incredible failure of world-building that only girls seem to use them. Like...does Rowling just not think about the concepts she introduces?
Sadly she not alone, apparently Rick and Morty is the only show that realizes what that really is.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

I suspect her train of thought went about as far as 'well, it's a fantasy story with magic, what else do I know about fantasy? Oh yeah, love potions are a thing so let's stick them in there too' also 'I can't have them used on women cause obviously that's super eww so let's just have it be only the other way around. That's probably fine'.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

stryke wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:57 pm I suspect her train of thought went about as far as 'well, it's a fantasy story with magic, what else do I know about fantasy? Oh yeah, love potions are a thing so let's stick them in there too' also 'I can't have them used on women cause obviously that's super eww so let's just have it be only the other way around. That's probably fine'.
I assume she also went, "It's a children's book, what sort of sick assholes will assume the children using this are raping each other."

And the answer is, "Your fans!"
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Everyone because that literally the only use for it.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:46 am Everyone because that literally the only use for it.
Just hanging out with your mind-controlled boyfriend holding hands!

:)