I kind of like Pilot Neelix

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: I kind of like Pilot Neelix

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:03 pm
TGLS wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:51 pm I have to assume that to some extent the bad blood was fuelled in part by Ryan dating Brannon Braga.
Timing matters. First there was Seven of Nine, then there was Jeri Ryan, then was Mulgrew being a tool and only after that was the liason with Braga, as far as I am aware. When Ryan got the job, she was still married to Jack Ryan (not that this has ever kept anyone from anything, much less so if one partner is a fan of sex-clubs and kinks which the other is not *coughs*).

My very personal opinion and take on it: The way I read Mulgrew, she's the kind of personality that always wants to be center-stage and gets nasty when she feels she isn't. Once she made up her mind, she goes straight for what she decided for and won't take prisoners on her way there.
Kate Mulgrew sounds like Shatner.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Madner Kami wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:03 pm Timing matters. First there was Seven of Nine, then there was Jeri Ryan, then was Mulgrew being a tool and only after that was the liason with Braga, as far as I am aware.
Yeah, if I remember right Ryan has admitted that was part of trying to get Mulgrew to back off and act like a proffessional, and dating the boss helped with that.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

stryke wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:03 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:03 pm Timing matters. First there was Seven of Nine, then there was Jeri Ryan, then was Mulgrew being a tool and only after that was the liason with Braga, as far as I am aware.
Yeah, if I remember right Ryan has admitted that was part of trying to get Mulgrew to back off and act like a proffessional, and dating the boss helped with that.
Everything shared suggests that the only three people happy to be there were Robert Duncan MacNeil, Garrett Wang (and he was harassed constantly but developed some lifelong friendships), and Roxanne Dawson
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:47 pmEverything shared suggests that the only three people happy to be there were Robert Duncan MacNeil, Garrett Wang (and he was harassed constantly but developed some lifelong friendships), and Roxanne Dawson
Huh, I hadn't heard any scuttlebutt about Ethan Phillips, Robert Picardo, or Tim Russ. I know Picardo got his own writers in to punch up his dialogue but as they let him do that there doesn't appear to be any bad blood there.

Now Garrett Wang seems like it was more complicated from what I've read, what he's said on the podcast, and some stuff I personally don't think he was being entirely honnest about on the podcast. He had issues with sleeping in, gaining weight, and only still being beautiful enough saved his butt from being dumped. He's the only Trek actor who wasn't allowed to direct on asking, and add the occasional somewhat weird vibe I get off him from the podcast to his realiability issues I'm finding it hard to be sympathetic about that.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:42 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:03 pm
TGLS wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:51 pm I have to assume that to some extent the bad blood was fuelled in part by Ryan dating Brannon Braga.
Timing matters. First there was Seven of Nine, then there was Jeri Ryan, then was Mulgrew being a tool and only after that was the liason with Braga, as far as I am aware. When Ryan got the job, she was still married to Jack Ryan (not that this has ever kept anyone from anything, much less so if one partner is a fan of sex-clubs and kinks which the other is not *coughs*).

My very personal opinion and take on it: The way I read Mulgrew, she's the kind of personality that always wants to be center-stage and gets nasty when she feels she isn't. Once she made up her mind, she goes straight for what she decided for and won't take prisoners on her way there.
Kate Mulgrew sounds like Shatner.
You should watch the interview done by Shatner with Mulgrew during that documentary called The Captains. Pretty cringeworthy IMO. Not on Mulgrew but Shatner.

Just popped in my head.
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

stryke wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:23 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:47 pmEverything shared suggests that the only three people happy to be there were Robert Duncan MacNeil, Garrett Wang (and he was harassed constantly but developed some lifelong friendships), and Roxanne Dawson
Huh, I hadn't heard any scuttlebutt about Ethan Phillips, Robert Picardo, or Tim Russ. I know Picardo got his own writers in to punch up his dialogue but as they let him do that there doesn't appear to be any bad blood there.

Now Garrett Wang seems like it was more complicated from what I've read, what he's said on the podcast, and some stuff I personally don't think he was being entirely honnest about on the podcast. He had issues with sleeping in, gaining weight, and only still being beautiful enough saved his butt from being dumped. He's the only Trek actor who wasn't allowed to direct on asking, and add the occasional somewhat weird vibe I get off him from the podcast to his realiability issues I'm finding it hard to be sympathetic about that.
I think the rather obvious reason he wasn't allowed to direct and got so much shit from the producers were, well, the fact he was openly gay.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:13 am
stryke wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:23 pm

I think the rather obvious reason he wasn't allowed to direct and got so much shit from the producers were, well, the fact he was openly gay.
Wang is gay? I genuinely did not know that. That adds a new dimension to the story. I wonder if that is why they wrote him like they did? Chuck's interpretation of Kim being a repressed sexual deviant stuck in the closet isn't that far off. In the same way that Psycho Janeway isn't actually that far off.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Yeah, Rick Berman wanted to fire Garret Wang instead of Kes' actress and was furious he got vetoed from the higher ups after Garret was in People's most beautiful people. So he harassed him about it in microaggression ways ever after.

And this is "apparently" because Garret said that was told to him by Rick to his face.

The bullying makes a lot of sense with the fact that multiple writers mention that Rick had serious issues with anything remotely LGBT plot related.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Garrett Wang is not gay.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:35 am And this is "apparently" because Garret said that was told to him by Rick to his face.
Note this is the same Garret who totally denied the People incident on the podcast entirely and claimed he was never going to be let go so take that with a grain of salt.

Also what's with the him being gay thing? He's not gay, or at least if he is he's compensating to Bulldog on Frasier levels of degrees. He constantly talks about the female actresses he was trying to get in the pants of on the show, and his current lady partner works on the podcast.