Alien: Romulus

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: Alien: Romulus

Post by Deledrius »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:10 pm Don't get me started with the past two Alien movies. So confused on what they were trying with those.
I think it was largely a case of too many cooks, leaving it incoherent. The original script was a decent Alien film, and worked very well as a prequel, even if not especially unique. They had the talentless hack Lindelof re-write it, and at some point demands from the studio or some other higher-up tried to divorce out the prequel aspect while still having it be set in the "past" of the franchise, making it fractured all over the place. When you combine that with Lindelof's inability to write characters intelligently, his love for Mystery Box nonsense, and the multiple levels of rewrites it all went through and apparently Scott's love of vapid philosophizing in his films, I don't think anyone was "trying" anything by the end except to make a movie that looks and sounds like a deep, thoughtful film just enough to fool audiences into thinking it was one.

It wrecks existing worldbuilding, exists as a prequel but doesn't actually act as a prequel, asks questions it has no intention to answer (but presents as though it should), contradicts its character-building with their actions but cannot acknowledge it, and is ultimately not interested enough in being either its own thing or a contributing to the existing franchise. It is, at best, a decent-looking film visually. It wastes every single actor's talents, even Fassbender who is the stand-out doing his best in the least-inconsistently written character present (but even David is a giant mess).

tl;dr - I suspect you were confused by what they were trying to do because there was no coherent, consistent vision on what they were trying to do.
Winter
Captain

Re: Alien: Romulus

Post by Winter »

Deledrius wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:40 am
McAvoy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:10 pm Don't get me started with the past two Alien movies. So confused on what they were trying with those.
I think it was largely a case of too many cooks, leaving it incoherent. The original script was a decent Alien film, and worked very well as a prequel, even if not especially unique. They had the talentless hack Lindelof re-write it, and at some point demands from the studio or some other higher-up tried to divorce out the prequel aspect while still having it be set in the "past" of the franchise, making it fractured all over the place. When you combine that with Lindelof's inability to write characters intelligently, his love for Mystery Box nonsense, and the multiple levels of rewrites it all went through and apparently Scott's love of vapid philosophizing in his films, I don't think anyone was "trying" anything by the end except to make a movie that looks and sounds like a deep, thoughtful film just enough to fool audiences into thinking it was one.

It wrecks existing worldbuilding, exists as a prequel but doesn't actually act as a prequel, asks questions it has no intention to answer (but presents as though it should), contradicts its character-building with their actions but cannot acknowledge it, and is ultimately not interested enough in being either its own thing or a contributing to the existing franchise. It is, at best, a decent-looking film visually. It wastes every single actor's talents, even Fassbender who is the stand-out doing his best in the least-inconsistently written character present (but even David is a giant mess).

tl;dr - I suspect you were confused by what they were trying to do because there was no coherent, consistent vision on what they were trying to do.
You know I actually read a bit of the script and I was floored at how much smarter the characters were and how so many of their actions made more sense. Take for example Wayland, in Prometheus his goal is to find the aliens to try and use their terraforming technology in order to use that to terraform planets so they can make more money... :shock: :o :lol:

OH MAY GOD THAT MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE THEN WHAT WE ACTUALLY GOT!!!

In the film proper Wayland is looking for the aliens because he wanted them to make him immortal even though there's no evidence that the Engineers knew the secrets to immortality. On top of that it fits more with how Weyland-Yutani Corporation is presented in the films, they want the Aliens for money.

What's funny is that AVP had a similar idea, that Bishop Wayland was looking for aliens (sorta) to make his mark on history as more then someone who just made a Corporation. That for all his accomplishments no one would remember him as anything special. In a way he was also looking for immortality but in a way that actually makes sense and we got to spend time with him and got to know him. Verses the Wayland of Prometheus who is just kinda there.