What is something ya like from something you hate

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Nobody700
Officer

What is something ya like from something you hate

Post by Nobody700 »

I think we tend to talk negatives here a bit, so wanted to be a bit more positive. From something you dislike or even hate, what is something you actually like? Whatever big or minor.

Here's a few to give examples. While I think Enterprise is a really bad show with a decent season and a good season, I think Trip's actor is one of the single best actors I ever seen on Trek (and Trek has a LOT of amazing actors which says a lot) and I really like the design of the Enterprise interior. It feels like a mix of astronauts and sci-fi. While I'm not sold on Enterprise itself, design a bit too odd for me, the interiors themselves make it feel nice and cramped but not offensive.

Another will be Dragon Age 2. I think Dragon Age 2 is one of the worst games I ever played and I actually hate it more than SF Debris, but I rather like the Arishock character. He is the one I feel has some of the most character to him and a character I had empathy for. Everything he does feels like it was a choice he made, and not because he was written to do them. Plus his voice is dope.

Lastly, BVS is a god awful film, absolute trash... but I ADMIT... I actually like the MEMED and mocked 'Do you Bleed?' Line. Even though we know he does cause of MOS... it just felt like you could feel the FORCE behind the words. The film also has Gal's best acting... barely any!
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Nealithi
Captain

Re: What is something ya like from something you hate

Post by Nealithi »

At this question I am drawing a blank on science fiction or fantasy work that I outright hate or dislike let alone I would manage to know a memorable bit from them.

I do have a show I have no desire to sit and watch that is tangent with scifi/fantasy. Big Bang Theory. I won't bore you with why I dislike the show. But there was a scene I liked that came up on the internet. Sheldon just introduced to Ami (I think that is her) They have a brief back and forth about their mothers and she responded. "I am intrigued by the concept of a higher being and baffled by one that takes attendance."

I do not know why but that line just tickles.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

I also really hate Enterprise, but I do think the mirror universe two parter is great, and better than any of the DS9 visits apart from maybe the first.

I despise Kevin Smith, but "Bear is driving, how can this be?" from his cartoon for some reason refuses to leave my head space.

I also think Ricky Gervais is a black hole of anti-humour, but the Patrick Stewart "and I've seen everything" from Extras is pretty great to be fair.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

In Twilight Saga I liked that Bella needed to wear a blanket when she was cuddling with Edward because of his negative body heat.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I think Star Trek Into Darkness is terrible, but I loved the scene where after Khan surrendered Kirk punched him in the face and generally pounded on him for a full thirty seconds and he didn't react beyond looking mildly confused. Probably only enjoy it because I hate those versions of the characters.

From the same movies, engineering being shot in a brewery that they made almost no effort to disguise is pretty funny.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I hate the design of the Discovery, though I dislike alot of the season 1 Disco Starfleet ships too.

But I do like the interior. The corridors, the stations at corners, all of it. Though that episode where the interior of theengineering hull seems to be kilometers long and hollow was excessive.
I got nothing to say here.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Nealithi wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:12 am I do have a show I have no desire to sit and watch that is tangent with scifi/fantasy. Big Bang Theory. I won't bore you with why I dislike the show.
Oh? Please do go on. I have a complicated relationship with that series. I watched it mainly, because it was running on TV at a decent time when I just needed some background noise and it got some laughs out of me. At the same time the show itself irked me in many small things that I often couldn't even put my finger on, so I didn't really develop a close relationship with it. What is your fly in this particular soup?
Nobody700 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:15 amHere's a few to give examples. While I think Enterprise is a really bad show with a decent season and a good season, I think Trip's actor is one of the single best actors I ever seen on Trek (and Trek has a LOT of amazing actors which says a lot) and I really like the design of the Enterprise interior. It feels like a mix of astronauts and sci-fi. While I'm not sold on Enterprise itself, design a bit too odd for me, the interiors themselves make it feel nice and cramped but not offensive.
Enterprise did basically everything right, except for one thing: It was completely let down by it's writers and those who implemented the stories, leading to a very binary show. Either an episode was *chef's kiss* or raw, unskinned rat-kebap on a stick.

As for something I hate while also finding bits of it likeable. Classic: Nemesis. Everything about this movie is pure shit, except for the Battle of the Bassen Rift (and the introductory scene on Romulus). It just hits right in every way and is willing to go and experiment with the capabilities available to the ships in ways you haven't seen since Wrath of Khan.

But I probably should name a higher hanging fruit and yet I can't think of any. I'll come back to this.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:11 pm
Nealithi wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:12 am I do have a show I have no desire to sit and watch that is tangent with scifi/fantasy. Big Bang Theory. I won't bore you with why I dislike the show.
Oh? Please do go on. I have a complicated relationship with that series. I watched it mainly, because it was running on TV at a decent time when I just needed some background noise and it got some laughs out of me. At the same time the show itself irked me in many small things that I often couldn't even put my finger on, so I didn't really develop a close relationship with it. What is your fly in this particular soup?
Not that hard. The first episode started fine, but had the 'jock' beat up the 'nerds' with no real consequences. These are adults and that would be battery, not some eighties movie. It was a cheap laugh when they had better humor to offer. Then as the show went on they would have a scene I could chuckle at. But like the show Friends there was something wrong with the dynamic. Why are these people friends? They do not seem to even like each other.
I actually enjoyed the scene where Sheldon explained that being around many people was draining and he needed some time alone to be better. But overall it was not for me. Others like it and I understand where many see the appeal. It didn't to me.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

Okay here's one.

https://youtu.be/Gash0294Mzw?si=BP5MEkfs2KxS58SA

This whole film is a mess and their's a lot wrong, but man this scene is just really sad and I like the horror of it, and how the robots protect the MC. The worst part is, this film COULD have been a masterpiece, but so much went wrong. This scene though, pretty good.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Nobody700 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:14 pm Okay here's one.

https://youtu.be/Gash0294Mzw?si=BP5MEkfs2KxS58SA

This whole film is a mess and their's a lot wrong, but man this scene is just really sad and I like the horror of it, and how the robots protect the MC. The worst part is, this film COULD have been a masterpiece, but so much went wrong. This scene though, pretty good.
Good scene. Part of what I got from it was the old ones allowing themselves to be destroyed. Until they were given a reason to fight back.