Discovery Season 5

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Nobody700
Officer

Re: Discovery Season 5

Post by Nobody700 »

Yeah but Hammer, remember... that suggests people actually bothered to think outside of the box... and Discovery showed us they can't ever do that. Now... eat your mushrooms and poop FTL.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

I think I have given up on the show. I don't want to but I don't feel invested.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I am going to openly admit that I do like this season far better than the others. Still has the same issues as the others, this one just seems to be more entertaining.

However I do hate Moll with a passion.
I got nothing to say here.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I actually really like Moll as a character. She Main Character Syndrome-ed so hard she became the actual main character.

Would be an absolute nightmare IRL but fun to watch on the telly.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Surprisingly, this season has been doing well according to Nielsen ratings. A lot more than I would have thought, more so than PIC but with SNW still being mostly on top.

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-discov ... p-10-rise/
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

hammerofglass wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:05 am I actually really like Moll as a character. She Main Character Syndrome-ed so hard she became the actual main character.

Would be an absolute nightmare IRL but fun to watch on the telly.
Hence why she and Michael must battle. Their can only be one.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Maybe I missed it, but was there anything that would indicate why Moll is so hostile to Starfleet? She was hostile to Discovery basically since the first episode.

Her sarcastic remarks started to grate on me after a while. And believe me I am not a Michael fan either.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Well that resolution was a cheap cop-out that spits in the face of all the central values of Star Trek even while explicitly giving them lip service.

I was liking the epilogue at least, but they did Zora so dirty out of nowhere at the very end that it's genuinely upsetting.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

hammerofglass wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:06 pm Well that resolution was a cheap cop-out that spits in the face of all the central values of Star Trek even while explicitly giving them lip service.

I was liking the epilogue at least, but they did Zora so dirty out of nowhere at the very end that it's genuinely upsetting.
I have not seen it but basically from what I heard "Hey the Progenitors didn't create the tech they used to create life, they just sorta found it." Like... okay but who cares?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hammerofglass wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:06 pm Well that resolution was a cheap cop-out that spits in the face of all the central values of Star Trek even while explicitly giving them lip service.

The finale felt underwhelming and that 30 minute epilogue just wasn't necessary IMO. The part when Michael is talking to her son on his first assignment as a captain was nice though.

I was kinda half expecting for her to pull a John Sheridan ending where she goes to find the Progenitor tech again in the end. Of course they left whatever mission Admiral Burnham is doing as a mystery, so I guess that's OK.

I rank it as the second worse Trek series finale. Above Enterprise because nothing compares to that and I don't count TOS because the series was canceled so there was no planned out finale. Picard's series finale was certainly better IMO even with all of the fan service.