Star Trek: Discovery in trouble?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Discovery in trouble?

Post by Karha of Honor »

Fixer wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:We have no idea how many of them are and they had not signed massive online petitions so who cares.
Anyone invested in the series being a success for one. Alienating the core fanbase is a good way to nose-dive a franchise into the ground.

Point of interest is that apparently the KT universe toyline has not sold very well, while prime universe merchandise seems to shift units. Combine that with my own anecdotal knowledge and you could see that there's a much more dedicated fanbase for the original works. The new movies, don't have anything of the sort.
Of course the new movies don't have anything like that since they are in a much more competitive market for space shows. You are probably right about the merch. I never cared about merch, maybe i buy a hat or a t shirt.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

KesaraRiku
Redshirt

Post by KesaraRiku »

Why cannot they just explore the prime universe, it would give them so much more freedom to do what they want- Much in the Same way KOTOR distanced itself from the established SW universe or the Diaster that is Mass effect: andromeda.
Crowley
Officer

Post by Crowley »

I really just recently started looking into the series. Here's my first thought: Why is it set shortly before the first series, or shortly before anything? To me that alone presents a huge potential for trouble because of how easily it can fall into the trap of taking scattered background mentions and building messy stories around them.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Crowley wrote:I really just recently started looking into the series. Here's my first thought: Why is it set shortly before the first series, or shortly before anything? To me that alone presents a huge potential for trouble because of how easily it can fall into the trap of taking scattered background mentions and building messy stories around them.
Space is big, it's very easy to work around it.
SiskosMuthaFknPmphnd
Redshirt

Post by SiskosMuthaFknPmphnd »

FakeGeekGirl wrote:Is the Doctor leading the battle for holographic civil rights? (Having the Doctor would be the biggest challenge since Robert Picardo is obviously a real person who's aged int he last twenty years unlike a hologram would.)
That's an easy one. The Doc decided to make himself age along with his friends
Did Harry Kim ever find his balls?
Yes he did. They were in a drawer in Janeway's nightstand. He thought it best not to ask why. I agree.

As to the topic at hand, I've been trying to keep from getting pissed about this show. Wait until it's on screen and then decide if it's any good or not. I had a whole thing worked out about how the Klingon "Sarcophagus Ship" could fit into Star Trek and why the Klingons might look different* But it's not worth it anymore. It'll be pure luck if this every makes it to us so why bother wasting time trying to make sense of this mess.

*Why would the Klingons have a Sarcophagus ship if they consider dead bodies to be empty shells? Because once upon a time they did care about dead bodies. They mummified them (Star Trek IV). This ship is ancient. Very ancient. And so is the crew. The crappy looking Klingons (assuming they were supposed to be Klingons at all) are just what they used to look like a very long time ago.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

SiskosMuthaFknPmphnd wrote:
FakeGeekGirl wrote:Is the Doctor leading the battle for holographic civil rights? (Having the Doctor would be the biggest challenge since Robert Picardo is obviously a real person who's aged int he last twenty years unlike a hologram would.)
That's an easy one. The Doc decided to make himself age along with his friends
Did Harry Kim ever find his balls?
Yes he did. They were in a drawer in Janeway's nightstand. He thought it best not to ask why. I agree.

As to the topic at hand, I've been trying to keep from getting pissed about this show. Wait until it's on screen and then decide if it's any good or not. I had a whole thing worked out about how the Klingon "Sarcophagus Ship" could fit into Star Trek and why the Klingons might look different* But it's not worth it anymore. It'll be pure luck if this every makes it to us so why bother wasting time trying to make sense of this mess.

*Why would the Klingons have a Sarcophagus ship if they consider dead bodies to be empty shells? Because once upon a time they did care about dead bodies. They mummified them (Star Trek IV). This ship is ancient. Very ancient. And so is the crew. The crappy looking Klingons (assuming they were supposed to be Klingons at all) are just what they used to look like a very long time ago.
It really surprises me how much they fuck up such a solid IP today when the consequences are worse than before.;
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

Agent Vinod wrote:
mathewgsmith wrote:You know, there is a substantial body of novels covering the prime universe after Voyager. I can't recommend it since I haven't read any of them, but it's there.
It's a shame the novels and comics don't reference each other for the most part.
That's not entirely true - the book-canon is having crossover-events (Destiny, Typhon Pact, The Fall), which has ramifications for the rest of the book-continuity. Take the (spoiler incoming in 3,2,1) destruction of Deep Space Nine and the murder of the president. Take Bashir, who walks away from Starfleet, because he was doing the moral- and ethical thing and is now an undercover agent with Section 31, which means, that he spies against the Section, with the help of his girlfriend. Those books are not happening in a vacuum. Even those three novels, that were written in Germany, by German authors, managed to have ties to the English books. Its quite awesome.

Personally, I'm saying "we can doom the new Star Trek series, when it's launched". When it's shit, then it's shit. But maybe, it is not that bad. I mean - I liked "Enterprise", I had no problems with that show.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:
mathewgsmith wrote:You know, there is a substantial body of novels covering the prime universe after Voyager. I can't recommend it since I haven't read any of them, but it's there.
It's a shame the novels and comics don't reference each other for the most part.
That's not entirely true - the book-canon is having crossover-events (Destiny, Typhon Pact, The Fall), which has ramifications for the rest of the book-continuity. Take the (spoiler incoming in 3,2,1) destruction of Deep Space Nine and the murder of the president. Take Bashir, who walks away from Starfleet, because he was doing the moral- and ethical thing and is now an undercover agent with Section 31, which means, that he spies against the Section, with the help of his girlfriend. Those books are not happening in a vacuum. Even those three novels, that were written in Germany, by German authors, managed to have ties to the English books. Its quite awesome.

Personally, I'm saying "we can doom the new Star Trek series, when it's launched". When it's shit, then it's shit. But maybe, it is not that bad. I mean - I liked "Enterprise", I had no problems with that show.
Books reference on another, but books and comics don't really do it.