Demolition Man

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Demolition Man

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Seems like Simon Phoenix has finally matched his meet. We really licked his ass.

https://sfdebris.com/videos/films/demolitionman.php
..What mirror universe?
stellar_coyote
Officer

Re: Demolition Man

Post by stellar_coyote »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:36 pm Seems like Simon Phoenix has finally matched his meet. We really licked his ass.

https://sfdebris.com/videos/films/demolitionman.php
Okay, even after all the years since I've seen this movie, that one bugs me etymologically speaking.

Unless the words "lick" and "ass" have changed so drastically in the future that there's no way in God's green earth that stringing those two together doesn't conjure up going ass-to-mouth, Huxley really should've put some thought into what she was going to say before saying it.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

stellar_coyote wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:18 am Unless the words "lick" and "ass" have changed so drastically in the future that there's no way in God's green earth that stringing those two together doesn't conjure up going ass-to-mouth, Huxley really should've put some thought into what she was going to say before saying it.
This is a woman who thinks regular penetrative sex is disgustingly barbaric and causes her to completely freak out just thinking about it. I'm sure ass-to-mouth is a concept that's never even crossed her mind.

Also the background blew my mind with some actor faceblindness.

I'm pretty sure I saw Yes, Minister second which is a show that I loved and never pegged once that my favourite character would go on to play the bad guy from Demolition Man.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I do like the nuance of this situation, Friendly people are criminals yes, but they are trying to make a world where people have real options, while the police mean well and got things orderly but at the cost of making life worth living.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

I really like this film but I do have one problem with it

It shoulda been 80 years. I just don't buy the world became like this in JUST 20 years (yes he was frozen for about 40 but they mentioned a big thing happened in the middle). Everyone is just WAY too old to be like this, especially those who are Spartan's age.

It's not a pet peeve problem, it's one I keep on coming back too when I think of the film. Besides that, good film.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Nobody700 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:52 pm I really like this film but I do have one problem with it

It shoulda been 80 years. I just don't buy the world became like this in JUST 20 years (yes he was frozen for about 40 but they mentioned a big thing happened in the middle). Everyone is just WAY too old to be like this, especially those who are Spartan's age.

It's not a pet peeve problem, it's one I keep on coming back too when I think of the film. Besides that, good film.
Well the film does start off in the near future with LA on a rampant decline.
..What mirror universe?
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:58 pm
Nobody700 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:52 pm I really like this film but I do have one problem with it

That doesn't discount what I said, like I said, how is everyone like this and acts like Spartan's stuff is CRAZY when a lot of them are Spartan's age and some look to have been kids when society starting changing, meaning they were born before the big fall. Dunno, it's WEIRD to me.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I agree. It should have been a bit further in the future for a society like this to be this fully formed the way it is.

I am actually surprised Chuck skipped over the one bit of nude scene in the movie. The video call Spartan got after he got kicked out of Huxley's place for suggesting good ole' old fashioned sex. The video call of a near naked woman. Which does fly in the face of what we just saw. Implications of it would be interesting. Some have called it a plot hole.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Nobody700 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:38 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:58 pm

That doesn't discount what I said, like I said, how is everyone like this and acts like Spartan's stuff is CRAZY when a lot of them are Spartan's age and some look to have been kids when society starting changing, meaning they were born before the big fall. Dunno, it's WEIRD to me.
No, I was joking. And at the moment I'm tending to agree. The people are completely nerfed, though really it's not as if it's impossible between two generations. Not only is that the issue though, but this is just Los Angeles, and it's not as if California and the rest of the world just forgot about it and people stopped going to it like the millions of people that do from all over the world who cuss and do drugs etc...
..What mirror universe?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

McAvoy wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:50 pm I agree. It should have been a bit further in the future for a society like this to be this fully formed the way it is.

I am actually surprised Chuck skipped over the one bit of nude scene in the movie. The video call Spartan got after he got kicked out of Huxley's place for suggesting good ole' old fashioned sex. The video call of a near naked woman. Which does fly in the face of what we just saw. Implications of it would be interesting. Some have called it a plot hole.
That woman might have been naked, but that might have been the extent of any expected encounter.
..What mirror universe?