Star Wars: The Last Jedi [SPOILERS]

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi [SPOILERS]

Post by Admiral X »

Except that the only real reason he was kept out of the loop was so that the mutiny could happen. If she lets him in on it, the mutiny doesn't happen, and the information Finn and Rose have gets to her and other people who might have even been able to make that plan work. Because while Poe has been demoted, he's still a high ranking officer within what's left of the resistance, and since he's a pilot without a fighter to fly, and the plan involves flying shuttles, he really should have been one of the ones to fly a shuttle, maybe even the one leading the charge, so to speak. But there's a lot of stupidity on the part of the characters due to the contrived nature of the writing throughout the movie anyway, right from the start so Poe could get in close and somehow take out all the dreadnaught's defensive turrets all by his lonesome. Hell in that instance, they even have one of the characters call this out, so at least in that instance whoever wrote it was admitting that it was contrived.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

And after he single-handedly takes out all the turrets the slowest/worst bombers in the Galaxy trundle slowly towards the Dreadnaught. Those things were awful.
KesaraRiku
Redshirt

Post by KesaraRiku »

A Few thoughts-

As a movie I say I was entertained, I came in expecting to see laser swords and things exploding and I got what I paid for.

As an entry into SW, no. I had major problems.

First the opening scene with Poe. I am sorry but if I was hailed by a lone star fighter pilot on my dreadnought I would not even entertain the thought and blow it out of the sky because I am an evil overlord, you should fight like an evil overlord. I know there was humor attempted, but it fell flat.

The B-17's in space made me wonder if the writer knew how space works. I didn't see any sort of propulsion mechanism to send the bomb "Down". But the design is stupid, If something whose speed is measured in months was a weapon, you better damn armored it and give it turrets. Lots of turrets. That was the reason for the B-17's existence.

It seems the Writers didn't use logic. Everyone knows how Y-wings get splattered by anti-starfighter defenses. Why not Make them carry standoff weapons?

So after that we get purple hair girl Going Full janeway on Poe with "Every day is condescending B**** day" treating him like Tom Paris when he asked a very valid question on what the plan was. Had she acted like a rational leader and explained the plan there would be no mutiny, and oops we cannot have something that wrecks a pointless side plot.

Rose was as useful as Phasma, and only reason she was there is for more attempted humor. She and Finn go out to fail and does nothing as each ship begins to fall. But Something puzzles me, If they are going to hyperspace through the first order fleet in the end, why not take one of the frigates before it ran out of fuel, have a droid hyperspace THAT through the fleet. Because apparently now no one ever thought to weaponize hyperspace engines.

Leia can fly like superman? How? Force Sensitive does not mean you can use the force, But hey its a movie where we have Rey in 3 lessons becoming a Jedi because F- it. Also She swings a lightsaber around with no one swing back and I am expected to be impressed at her fighting capabilities?

Do the Writers know how space works? Where is the decompression when the door opens and leia walks in?

Rose and finn free some animals, but the children. Still slaves. Great job, 10/10.

Wait, the person who went out of his way to Redeem Vader just decided to murder Kylo on the slight hint of the Dark Side. Talk about character assassination.

Kylo is still Darth Whiny McEmopants. Darth Revan will do a force B**** slap.

Rose and Finn fail miserably and the fleet still gets its butt kicked. Making their trip pointless. Phasma is still useless.

Way to go Rose from ruining a touching self sacrifice. I hate you more than Rey.

I wished they could have expanded on the point that those evil weapons dealers also supply the Resistance with weapons.

Rey can lift a mountain side while in ESB Luke barely got his x-wing out.

Wait, so all this time the search for the map was pointless as Luke wanted to die, and you killed off luke without a badass way to end him? Just disappear him after doing that force projection?

Also I hate the props in this movie. R1 had good, "Authentic" weapon and uniform choices that made me believe in this was a lived in world. The weapons here look like children's toys and the cynical side of me looks at Disney going "Mission accomplished".
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

Apparently Rey had some melee fighting experience beforehand, as we see one of her first scenes on Jakku in the last movie being beating up dudes with a stick. Maybe that translates straight over into lightsaber combat.

And maybe Poe's "Tell me we have a plan!" to Holdo was possibly inspired by Rian Johnson asking a similar question to Kathleen Kennedy at some point. Too many threads seem to be just abandoned between TFA and TLJ to be certain of them even having an idea of what arc this trilogy should be on. Lucas at least had the original excuse of he was just making one movie and then that suddenly took off and oops let's make a trilogy of this. Here, they knew it would be a trilogy (at the very least) from the get-go, should have at least mapped out an overall outline and then written screenplays to conform to that.

Or maybe the first thing that J.J. Abrams does when he gets back is have Luke materialize on the Millennium Falcon and casually say, "Hey everyone, I didn't actually die. I just learned how to Force-teleport across the galaxy. Neat, huh?"
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

The original Star Wars trilogy is what a defines what a modern Trilogy is. Lucas needed any excused because there was no set standard for it.

I feel these kinds of complaints about TLJ are just people who think a Trilogy is supposed to seem like 1 big movie split in 3. If anything my complaints are how close these movies come to seeming like that.
Call me KuudereKun
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:The original Star Wars trilogy is what a defines what a modern Trilogy is. Lucas needed any excused because there was no set standard for it.

I feel these kinds of complaints about TLJ are just people who think a Trilogy is supposed to seem like 1 big movie split in 3. If anything my complaints are how close these movies come to seeming like that.
In that case do not burden the movie with Kylo and Snoke...
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:The original Star Wars trilogy is what a defines what a modern Trilogy is. Lucas needed any excused because there was no set standard for it.

I sense something off with that point of view. I'll grant that a trilogy is a series of three artistic works that are thematically intervowen but do not necessarily follow directly from each other. However what we have here is not an "anthologic" trilogy (for lack of a better word), but a direct trilogy. TLJ instantly follows TFA. They are like days apart from each other and TLJ not only directly follows up on the events of TFA, but is a direct continuation of the events of TFA. This trilogy is, so far, literally 1 big movie split into 2 (so far) parts.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

KesaraRiku wrote:Do the Writers know how space works?
Not terribly great for a film series that so far, seems to be willing to go for the "nerd out" moments. They went to so much effort on the crust layer of a salt flat, how do they miss the rules of simple vacuum?
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
ORCACommander
Officer

Post by ORCACommander »

come to think of it, was the dreadnought between the bomber and the planet? because if it was the bombers are simply pushing the bombs into a lower orbit, a trajectory that would collide with the dreadnought.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

Admiral X wrote:
Fixer wrote: Everything I found wrong I could only possibly cover in one overly long snark laden review.
Ask and ye shall receive. I'll do this Saturday morning when I have a spot of spare time.
ORCACommander wrote:come to think of it, was the dreadnought between the bomber and the planet? because if it was the bombers are simply pushing the bombs into a lower orbit, a trajectory that would collide with the dreadnought.
Not from what I could see. Since the long range shots from the Star Destroyers were arcing in space as well I think the writers have just given up on how space works in general.

The appearance of slow moving gravity bombers who individually can take out a Dreadnought immediately after the end of TFA also begs the question as to why they didn't deploy them against Starkiller base in what was a last ditch effort to save the Resistance.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------