Trump vs Biden^H^H^H^H^H Harris: Kamala Rising

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Trump vs Biden^H^H^H^H^H Harris: Kamala Rising

Post by hammerofglass »

Welp, looks like we know how the GOP plans to steal the election: do the "refuse to certify" thing in dozens of different places at once and reduce the election into total chaos. Presumably they then get it sent to the openly compromised Supreme Court l to declare them the winners no matter how people vote.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 235069692/
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

And I'm back from "guardedly optimistic" to "terrified".
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

If Trump was in power I would be terrified, but unless the Bisen/Harris administration is completely incompetent (in which case we're screwed no matter what) MAGA showing their cards this early probably just cost them the trick, the hand, and possibly the whole game.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

You sure? Because I mean, they definitely have SCOTUS lock stock and barrel.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:59 pm You sure? Because I mean, they definitely have SCOTUS lock stock and barrel.
The thing is, if the tactic is "just refuse to accept the rules and cause chaos" then it doesn't matter either way. Once again it comes down to having enough people in enough places saying "enough". That's all it's ever been. It's just that lately the wall has thinned. A lot.

The recent Dem campaign strategy of turning those tables is heartening. It wouldn't be the first time the SCOTUS appointed an unelected President, so hopefully the folks in charge have a plan for that. Whether they do or not isn't something we can directly do anything about.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

My guess (and I'm not any kind of political expert) is that they keep doing what the Harris campaign has already been doing and publicly call them out on the plan ahead of time. The whole plot is based on maintaining a false narrative, it won't work if everyone knows what they're doing.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

Plus while Bush was... BUSH, even he didn't wanna obliterate democracy. Dude was a whacko and his best pal, Dick, may have wanted but even Bush had decency. Trump is just a whole nother beast and if he steals the election... well, Al stepped down cause he didn't wanna fight to hurt America. You step down, you KILLED America.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Nobody700 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:57 am Plus while Bush was... BUSH, even he didn't wanna obliterate democracy. Dude was a whacko and his best pal, Dick, may have wanted but even Bush had decency. Trump is just a whole nother beast and if he steals the election... well, Al stepped down cause he didn't wanna fight to hurt America. You step down, you KILLED America.
Correct. Even if the SCotUS were to make a call towards their bullshit, then let them see it through, while the other side has guns, tanks and missiles. That the US military and the majority of security officers, even in the fundamentally fucked services like police, would go along with that bullshit, is a misconception. The critical part is, that the Democrats don't just bow down or out and that currently doesn't seem likely, because if they do, then that's the last thing that party ever does, as it will have been the last time there is an actual vote.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Plus given Trump and members of his campaign have promised to imprison or kill all his political opponents if he wins it would be downright suicidal to meekly step aside.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 5:45 am
Correct. Even if the SCotUS were to make a call towards their bullshit, then let them see it through, while the other side has guns, tanks and missiles. That the US military and the majority of security officers, even in the fundamentally fucked services like police, would go along with that bullshit, is a misconception. The critical part is, that the Democrats don't just bow down or out and that currently doesn't seem likely, because if they do, then that's the last thing that party ever does, as it will have been the last time there is an actual vote.
I think the Trump... 'strategy' for lack of better word... in that even would be basically.

1) The military does fuck-all, either because they due to tradition refuse to interfere in domestic affairs or because Trump has such support among the common soldiers that the brass aren't confident they could maintain discipline.
2) The cops are all-in on fascism and join in, just like the good ol' days of the KKK.

And to be honest I think the second thing is true. The first however is pretty fuckin' unlikely in the event of "The election's outcome is within the range of dispute but Trump forcibly intercedes to claim victory", like even if you had a widespread cop riot I just don't see the military standing down entirely and letting it happen if Trump's people do another putsch.