Is Korrasami to Tame?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Is Korrasami to Tame?

Post by clearspira »

Winter wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:32 am In one month Dragon Age: Veilguard will include the option to let players have their character be transgender and non-binary. This includes using They/Them Pronouns and having surgical scars from transitioning and even has a non-binary actor voicing the main character. Not to mention having a Non-binary writer working with a non-binary actor with a character who themselves may be non-binary. Not to mention the game's director is a transwoman who is working on, quitely possibly, the most important game in BioWare right now.

This of course has enraged conservatives, aka stupid people, who are all up in arms about this and are insisting that this will ruin games. Ignoring that Baldur's Gate 3 did the exact same thing which including the option of giving female characters a dick. And yes, they overacted to that too.
I have no issue with this BTW, be whoever you want to be in your game. More options are always a good thing. This seems like a very, very odd thing to ever get pissed off about tbh. It is not harming anyone if you want to play your game the way that you please.

But I genuinely and innocently do not understand why anyone would want to see their top surgery scars on screen. I just feel for myself personally that if I felt trapped in the wrong body my whole life I would want to see the body that I always wished I had reflected on the screen rather than the body that I was forced into and then had to get surgery later on. The ''real me'' for lack of a better description. This just seems like an ''option for option's sake'' to me that no one will ever pick but looks good on the promotional material. But that is just my view of things I do not pretend to be right nor well-informed on this subject. If you say that they will then I will agree with you.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:19 pm I'd argue Korra and Asami is good but if it had continued, you'd need to make it as confusing and troubled as any other relationship.

Joss Whedon is a piece of shit but he was correct that the problem with Willow and Tara was that it was a horror/comedy show and inevitably something horrifying would happen to them.

Just like it did to all of the straight relationships.
Or it could just be healthy. Some relationships are like that.

Joss Whedon thinks he's far more clever than he is, and he loves to randomly kill off characters in the mistaken belief that the unexpected is the same as good drama.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:25 pm
Winter wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:32 am In one month Dragon Age: Veilguard will include the option to let players have their character be transgender and non-binary. This includes using They/Them Pronouns and having surgical scars from transitioning and even has a non-binary actor voicing the main character. Not to mention having a Non-binary writer working with a non-binary actor with a character who themselves may be non-binary. Not to mention the game's director is a transwoman who is working on, quitely possibly, the most important game in BioWare right now.

This of course has enraged conservatives, aka stupid people, who are all up in arms about this and are insisting that this will ruin games. Ignoring that Baldur's Gate 3 did the exact same thing which including the option of giving female characters a dick. And yes, they overacted to that too.
I have no issue with this BTW, be whoever you want to be in your game. More options are always a good thing. This seems like a very, very odd thing to ever get pissed off about tbh. It is not harming anyone if you want to play your game the way that you please.

But I genuinely and innocently do not understand why anyone would want to see their top surgery scars on screen. I just feel for myself personally that if I felt trapped in the wrong body my whole life I would want to see the body that I always wished I had reflected on the screen rather than the body that I was forced into and then had to get surgery later on. The ''real me'' for lack of a better description. This just seems like an ''option for option's sake'' to me that no one will ever pick but looks good on the promotional material. But that is just my view of things I do not pretend to be right nor well-informed on this subject. If you say that they will then I will agree with you.
My guess is it gives them comfort having a character who went through the same journey they did. You want to see yourself reflected in a game you play, the trials as well as the triumphs. There are some trans men who are proud of their top surgery scars. Also the "wrong body" narrative, while a useful entry point, isn't the beginning and end of the trans experience.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Most people with those scars IRL aren't trans. Breast cancer survivors and cis men who had gynecomastia in the past play games too.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Also, not everyone uses character creation to make self-portraits.

To me, the character is not a representation of my self, it is a tool by which I impose my will upon the game.

Personally, I like to spend a great deal of time creating a unique look for each game I play. More options are a net good, regardless of the motivation for adding them.

The only game I play with a character that looks like me is Mario Kart. And that started off as a joke.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 3:03 am
clearspira wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:25 pm

My guess is it gives them comfort having a character who went through the same journey they did. You want to see yourself reflected in a game you play, the trials as well as the triumphs. There are some trans men who are proud of their top surgery scars. Also the "wrong body" narrative, while a useful entry point, isn't the beginning and end of the trans experience.
Fair enough. As I say, I do not really understand the subject myself. I'm just projecting how I think that I would feel which at the end of the day is kind of pointless.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Plus let's remember scars just look cool.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I legit might use that purely for aesthetics if I do end up using the butch amazon Qunari I was thinking of running.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:38 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:19 pm I'd argue Korra and Asami is good but if it had continued, you'd need to make it as confusing and troubled as any other relationship.

Joss Whedon is a piece of shit but he was correct that the problem with Willow and Tara was that it was a horror/comedy show and inevitably something horrifying would happen to them.

Just like it did to all of the straight relationships.
Or it could just be healthy. Some relationships are like that.

Joss Whedon thinks he's far more clever than he is, and he loves to randomly kill off characters in the mistaken belief that the unexpected is the same as good drama.
Yeah, the words make sense individually but together are just gibberish.

:)
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Willow and Tara may or may not have been fine for it's day but now carries a very problematic undercurrent of "bisexuality does not exist".

Willow goes from having several boyfriends/crushes to "total lesbianism" in the space of a couple of episodes. There is even one episode when under the effects of a love spell she tries to magically change the sex of the guy in question!

Whedon is good at ideas, not at execution of said ideas. We are probably better off with our one season of Firefly tbh.