Star Wars: The Last Jedi [SPOILERS]

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi [SPOILERS]

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

What an obnoxious title for an article.

Mary Sue isn't the term I would use necessarily, but I think there's definitely a few problems with Rey. I mentioned my biggest problem with Rey earlier in the thread, but the thread is so long at this point that it's worth reiterating a few things-

My big issue is that Rey still hasn't had a real struggle, nor has she faced the consequences of failure. I find it really odd that some fans are almost gleeful about a mature, experienced Luke Skywalker still having huge flaws and a major dark side, but they have no problem with Rey showing no signs of even having a dark side through two movies. . On the one hand people talk about how she's the hero, it's no longer the OT trio's story, etc., and yet she's the only one who has everything figured out and isn't actually having a character arc.

People talk about her "failure" with Kylo. Well, she got at least as close to success as Han, Leia, or Luke managed, and frankly Kylo has been pretty much unconvertable up to this point in the saga. He feels the pull of the light side, but he makes a conscious choice to be dark. She can't help that, and given what we know about the light and dark side her choice isn't even that fool-hardy.

What was the consequence of her failure? The death of the most powerful villain in the ST. Contrast that with the darkness that Luke faces in The Empire Strikes Back- Rey never comes close to the same depth. At this point, I wouldn't even discount the idea that Rey isn't an actual person, but is a manifestation of the light side without darkness or fear.

As for training- no, Luke didn't have much training, but I have a problem with Rey being able to pull off sophisticated Force maneuvers with no training whatsoever. At least Obi Wan told Luke how to use a lightsaber and Yoda taught him some Force basics. Through two movies, what useful advice has Rey actually been given (and used)? Luke's bad advice is worse than no advice at all.

Daisy Ridley is very likable and so is Rey, but I wouldn't hold it against anyone who feels like Rey's perfectness and awesomeness is being shoved down everyone's throats to the ultimate detriment of the character.
The owls are not what they seem.
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

Ordo wrote:If one of the Capital ships the Rebels had was specifically designed to kill fighters...but it had to allocate all it's energy to shields or risk being blown up by the Supremacy, then the moment it's beyond the envelop of the Supremacy it can wipe out Kylo.
Which would also loop around to mechanics from the TIE Fighter games. In that, lasers did have a maximum range, but that was because you were running it on like 486s that didn't have the space to track everyone's shots infinitely out into deep space for the whole battle, even if they wanted to. So shots just disappeared after 1.6 kilometers or so. In the movie, it just seems like that cannon's power suffers too quick a dropoff just by getting a little out of envelope range, especially since, hours later when the distance is much further out, the exact same cannon still has enough juice to one-shot vaporize unshielded transports.

It's not so much a plot hole, as they're very expository about the overview of the situation, it just feels an odd setup for the writers to write them into, and feeds some "well why wouldn't they just do this, then?" ideas on the side.
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

Ordo wrote:
Fixer wrote:The Force has never been the sole purview of the Jedi and the Sith. There have been alternate force using factions and schools which still exist in the Star Wars canon.

The Witches of Dathomir, and the Inquisition both use the dark side without Sith teachings.
None of this showed up in the films. It's always been Sith/Jedi until now. It's nice that the EU could mention such things but until it shows up in official films it's basically fanfiction.
?

[[/quote]

Didn't Disney basically threw out the EU and said that anything that wasn't in the films are now none canon? So, all of those other groups that were never mentioned in the movies pretty much doesn't exist at this point.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

cilantro wrote:Didn't Disney basically threw out the EU and said that anything that wasn't in the films are now none canon? So, all of those other groups that were never mentioned in the movies pretty much doesn't exist at this point.
Canon check!
Wookieepedia/Canon wrote:As of April 25, 2014, the only previously published materials that are considered canon are the six Star Wars films, the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film, and the stand-alone Dark Horse Comics arc Star Wars: Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir.
Not terribly much more than the films, especially considering just how gigantic the EU used to be.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

PerrySimm wrote:
cilantro wrote:Didn't Disney basically threw out the EU and said that anything that wasn't in the films are now none canon? So, all of those other groups that were never mentioned in the movies pretty much doesn't exist at this point.
Canon check!
Wookieepedia/Canon wrote:As of April 25, 2014, the only previously published materials that are considered canon are the six Star Wars films, the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film, and the stand-alone Dark Horse Comics arc Star Wars: Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir.
Not terribly much more than the films, especially considering just how gigantic the EU used to be.
Oh, yeah I remember the nerd/geek rage over Disney throwing out the EU as canon. I mean all those hours playing KOTR and KOTR 2, reading about Han and Leia's twins, and reading about how Boba Fett crawled out of the Sarlacc Pit is now all wasted and gone.

^ this is what I am really sad about. Boba is most likely dead and he went out so stupid as well:

youtu.be/iw5zLa2FmoI

It's kind of like watching an evil Kirk dying from a bridge falling on top of him.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Disney is out for money, like any good company. They should be aware that Boba Fett is a fan-favourite for some unfathomable reason and you can bet your arse on it, that he'd reappear on the screen at some point in the future, assuming the franchise is and stays healthy.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
GloatingSwine
Officer

Post by GloatingSwine »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is a better movie then of the original Star Wars trilogy.
Guardians of the Galaxy is the best Star Wars film since 1983.

True fact.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

It's better then any movie set after ROTS.
Call me KuudereKun
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

cilantro wrote: Oh, yeah I remember the nerd/geek rage over Disney throwing out the EU as canon. I mean all those hours playing KOTR and KOTR 2, reading about Han and Leia's twins, and reading about how Boba Fett crawled out of the Sarlacc Pit is now all wasted and gone.
It was never not a waste.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

cilantro wrote: ^ this is what I am really sad about. Boba is most likely dead and he went out so stupid as well:

It's kind of like watching an evil Kirk dying from a bridge falling on top of him.
Don't lament too hard. The fanon around Boba Fett is immense, and can't simply be willed away by fiat. If Lucas was a half-step from writing it in, that's easier to accept than actually having to tolerate yet another 90s change to Episode VI.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K