Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
LavarosVA
Officer

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - thoughts?

Post by LavarosVA »

It doesn't really hold the series back too much for me, it's just distracting. So far I like everything else about the show, it's just that it doesn't really feel like they wanted to update the look for the times but rather make their own version of it. That's fine to me, I'd rather the creators of the show inject their passion into a show rather then be forced to conform to previous aesthetic choices just to make the fanboys happy.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

So I'm guessing Frakes upping the cheese factor is going to be as polarising as everything else. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So if prime Lorca is militantly loyal to the Federation and Mirror Lorca is a Terran rebel, which one is the evil one?
Paul Walker
Officer

Post by Paul Walker »

I really enjoyed this episode.

I'm wondering at the moment if Lorca is the one from the Mirror Universe, and that the Prime-Universes' Lorca actually did die when his ship blew up. Now he's trying to return home, but because he was essentially a "good person" (wanting to end the Emperor/Empress) he doesn't really want to screw over the Federation any more than necessary.

Does that make sense?
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

I guess the Terran Empire decided using conquered alien races as crew was more trouble than it was worth after the the rebellion in slightly more obviously crazy Archer's era.

Also it appears they've started to chase the cameraman that was shooting everything at a 35 degree angle so now he's running in circles around everything.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Imperator-zor
Redshirt

Post by Imperator-zor »

More Enterprise Continuity! WOO!

Zor
LavarosVA
Officer

Post by LavarosVA »

So this is how Georgiou is coming back into the series right? There's really no other way for them to do it.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

GandALF wrote:So I'm guessing Frakes upping the cheese factor is going to be as polarising as everything else. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So if prime Lorca is militantly loyal to the Federation and Mirror Lorca is a Terran rebel, which one is the evil one?
Who says we've even met Prime Lorca? ;)
Paul Walker wrote:I really enjoyed this episode.

I'm wondering at the moment if Lorca is the one from the Mirror Universe, and that the Prime-Universes' Lorca actually did die when his ship blew up. Now he's trying to return home, but because he was essentially a "good person" (wanting to end the Emperor/Empress) he doesn't really want to screw over the Federation any more than necessary.

Does that make sense?
Yeah, that's been my working theory ever since his "backstory" was given to us by unreliable narrators in Choose Your Pain. It's consistent with his behaviour all along, too. He's a Good Terran, which means he's still a bit of a tough guy with a lot of apathy toward Federation Values, but he means well most of the time. Nevertheless, he's always going to view the ends as justifying the means.

Maybe seeing the Prime universe has even given him hope about doing something about his home, if only he could find a way back...

LavarosVA wrote:So this is how Georgiou is coming back into the series right? There's really no other way for them to do it.
It seems the most likely answer for all the arrows pointing at this mysterious "Emperor" and the only possible reveal which would fit the established narrative of the season, revolving as it does around Burnham. Emperor Saru would just be weird.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

Is it wrong that I hope rest of the show is them being stuck in the Mirror Universe trying to find a way home, Voyager style?
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Well, I'm kind of hoping the bounce around the multiverse a little.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

A combined Sliders/Voyager model could be fun, at least for a little while.