Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Paul Walker
Officer

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - thoughts?

Post by Paul Walker »

Deledrius wrote:A combined Sliders/Voyager model could be fun, at least for a little while.
Just as long as they avoid Quantum Leap - I don't think I can take another Jonathan Archer...

Regarding Empress Giourgiou, I hope they have that, and that she ascended after assassinating Empress Sato. That would link it into the rest of the Star Trek canon rather nicely.
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

And that would make Hoshi like, what, 100 years old when she was assassinated? Given how aggressive people are with backstabbing in the mirror universe, I can imagine that there's room for one more Empr-person.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

I assumed there will be ritualized duels and the whole Mirror thing will be less edgy for the sake of edgy and more logical.
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

TGLS wrote:And that would make Hoshi like, what, 100 years old when she was assassinated? Given how aggressive people are with backstabbing in the mirror universe, I can imagine that there's room for one more Empr-person.
I'd like it for Linda Park to be the Emperess, having cloned herself a bajillion times like sci-fi villains always seem to do. Given how the Mirror Universe works, having a hammy, sexy Mirror Sato clone pulling the strings like a hooker version of Palpatine would be interesting, especially because in ENT/In A Mirror, Darkly, she seemed to be a competent villain.

Think about it - in most works, how often do we really get a compelling female villain? I feel like there's unpaved road to tread, there. Maybe her reforms led to women being more able to get prominent roles in Imperial Starfleet and Imperial society in general, outside of having screw-and-stab their way to the top. I think that a case of the Mirror Universe becoming slightly more congruent with the prime universe is a great way to play the whole mirror universe angle...then, at the end of the plotline, have the universes diverge again, with the MU becoming more evil again.

#MakeTheMirrorUniverseEvilAgain
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

As if Lorca didn't have enough PTSD already.
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

Didn't DS9 Mirror Universe episodes hinted/claimed that the Terran Empire was already either in decline and/or gone?
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

by the time of ds9, the Empire had been overthrown & replaced with The Alliance, which was also evil.
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

J!! wrote:by the time of ds9, the Empire had been overthrown & replaced with The Alliance, which was also evil.
Thanks for telling me. I could've sworn that by the DS9 Era the Terran Empire was already gone but I didn't remember The Alliance. As with it being evil- its always evil in the Mirror Universe.

I am surprised that the Empire lasted as long as they did with everyone, when a promotion literally means killing the person above you.

CTU
Redshirt

Post by CTU »

I do not like this show. To much SJW trash. heck they are using Klingon as stand in for Trump supporters...I saw a few episodes into it then stopped as this is not star trek despite the name
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Yes, because as we all know, none of the other Treks ever made political statements about anything.