Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
J!!
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - thoughts?

Post by J!! »

Personally, I really like the new show. It's doing a lot of things I've wanted to see from Star Trek for a long time, and largely refusing to pander to nostalgia.

It's certainly got it's issues, but season 1 is always weak in Star Trek shows. And compared to S1 of TNG, it's phenomenal.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

I think Discovery is in that strange place of wanting to ride off nostalgia and resenting the fact that it is. That tribble is dangerously close the the fortune cookies.

So far though I think there's been 2, maybe 3 entertaining episodes or ones I'd classify as good out of 10 so far and a lot I'd rank as terrible.
Including the two first episodes.

Outside of that, RLM has had some thoughts.

youtu.be/DpHbLewg79c
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Walker
Officer

Post by Paul Walker »

Durandal_1707 wrote:Yes, because as we all know, none of the other Treks ever made political statements about anything.
I really wished I could "up-vote" this comment.

Star Trek has pretty much always been a political commentary, whether it was on racial oppression, sexual oppression, gender fluidity (yeah, I was shocked when I clocked they'd covered that one in TNG too), and freedoms for all.

If anyone is surprised that Star Trek might appear to be targeting Trump supporters and the GOP, it might be your own insecurities getting to you, as the Federation has always been shown to have values more in line with what the Democrats talk about (universal healthcare, virtually no poverty, social mobility, freedom of speech, control of who has access to weapons).
Fixer wrote:I think Discovery is in that strange place of wanting to ride off nostalgia and resenting the fact that it is. That tribble is dangerously close the the fortune cookies.

So far though I think there's been 2, maybe 3 entertaining episodes or ones I'd classify as good out of 10 so far and a lot I'd rank as terrible.

youtu.be/DpHbLewg79c
Anyway, as far as Star Trek goes it had been Voyager that held the strongest opening season (other than TOS). If Discovery continues as is, I expect it'll be the strongest one.

I have to disagree with some of RLM's treatment of Discovery *and* the Last Jedi.

Star Trek Deep Space Nine wasn't like previous series, and there was an uproar about it. The only real difference is that DS9 was always on with a show with exploration, so those who weren't as interested could just watch the other one and be OK with ignoring DS9. Discovery is an experiment for long form television, and it's getting people thinking about solving what's happening.

And the Last Jedi wasn't crapping all over Star Wars fans. It was addressing the fact that the cast of the original Star Wars are/were old. I expect the whole plan was to have each of the original cast to die in each of the new films. It would happen in a way where the deaths would play an impact on other characters in the future. Star Wars needs to introduce new characters for people to care about before it's too late.

Back to Star Trek:

Can you remember the last time when watching a Star Trek series that people were trying to figure out the future of the show? Can you remember the last time that Starfleet Command was shown to be competent and the captain was in the wrong? It always seemed weird that people who were in Starfleet were able to be promoted and yet have no idea how problems were solved, but this time it seems that they know something is up with Lorca, and are trying to coax him back to (rightly) relieve him of command.

Discovery isn't perfect, but it is interesting, and it IS Star Trek.
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

The problem with Star Trek having some political statement isn't that it does it, but when it does it poorly, it ends up being like TNG's The Neutral Zone. There's only a certain subset of people who like to get preached to, so stuff like that doesn't go over well, and this is what people are complaining about when they are complaining about shows making political statements.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

Admiral X wrote:The problem with Star Trek having some political statement isn't that it does it, but when it does it poorly, it ends up being like TNG's The Neutral Zone. There's only a certain subset of people who like to get preached to, so stuff like that doesn't go over well, and this is what people are complaining about when they are complaining about shows making political statements.
I think Chuck summed it up in VOY: Urgent Care best - when they have a message, it is shouted, because they know no other way.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

It's part and parcel of what the franchise is.

Watching Star Trek and being a snowflake about political commentary you don't agree with makes about as much sense as watching Doctor Who and complaining that you wanted hard sci-fi.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

CTU wrote:I do not like this show. To much SJW trash. heck they are using Klingon as stand in for Trump supporters...I saw a few episodes into it then stopped as this is not star trek despite the name
a tribalistic warrior-culture, radicalized by a faction of fringe religious extremists, and declaring war against a secular-democracy in order to 'protect' their culture from 'contamination' by foreign influences. the discovery klingons aren't trump supporters; if anything, they're ISIS.
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

Fixer wrote:I think Discovery is in that strange place of wanting to ride off nostalgia and resenting the fact that it is. That tribble is dangerously close the the fortune cookies.

youtu.be/DpHbLewg79c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reApQlk5JiA&t=211s

I really do love RLM and I also really love Mr. Plinkett's Reviews. It took me a while but I have warmed up with Half In A Bag.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Fixer wrote:I think Discovery is in that strange place of wanting to ride off nostalgia and resenting the fact that it is.
I think this really hits it.

The show feels like it desperately wants to be its own thing in its own storytelling universe with no responsibility to the last fifty years that made it possible, but at the same time so much of the story and the constant tiny references make it impossible to view in the isolated context that it desires.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

J!! wrote:
CTU wrote:I do not like this show. To much SJW trash. heck they are using Klingon as stand in for Trump supporters...I saw a few episodes into it then stopped as this is not star trek despite the name
a tribalistic warrior-culture, radicalized by a faction of fringe religious extremists, and declaring war against a secular-democracy in order to 'protect' their culture from 'contamination' by foreign influences. the discovery klingons aren't trump supporters; if anything, they're ISIS.
Dibs i made this case before you.
Durandal_1707 wrote:It's part and parcel of what the franchise is.

Watching Star Trek and being a snowflake about political commentary you don't agree with makes about as much sense as watching Doctor Who and complaining that you wanted hard sci-fi.
You can have objections regardless where you are on the political spectrum.