Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Mindworm
Officer

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - thoughts?

Post by Mindworm »

CTU wrote:I do not like this show. To much SJW trash. heck they are using Klingon as stand in for Trump supporters...I saw a few episodes into it then stopped as this is not star trek despite the name
Actually, I'd say the stand in for Trump supporters is Duchess Archer.

Oh, PS I've discovered why Michael Burnham got dumped so hard in the pilot, it's the episode they let Akiva Goldsman attack. You could give him Hamlet and tell him to use the dialogue word for word to make a film and he'd still turn out shit on a stick.
Soulless minion of orthodoxy.
Paul Walker
Officer

Post by Paul Walker »

Mindworm wrote:I've discovered why Michael Burnham got dumped so hard in the pilot, it's the episode they let Akiva Goldsman attack. You could give him Hamlet and tell him to use the dialogue word for word to make a film and he'd still turn out shit on a stick.
I was about to ask about Akiva Goldsman and then saw that he did Batman and Robin and the damned Lost in Space movie....yeh, he can go to Grethor.
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Okay, since I've mostly been on the positive side of the discussion on Discovery, I'll post a gripe, in the interest of common ground.

Why, in the name of Kahless, if they're going to make us pay for this service, and if they're not going to make it available anywhere else, can CBS not get enough bandwidth to run this thing properly without the video getting stuck in buffering after—literally, no exaggeration—10 seconds of playback time?

And then if you pause it and go do something else while you let it buffer for a while, the thing automatically unpauses itself while you're away?

And then, once you finally do get a decent buffer going, it only lasts until the next commercial break, after which point it's back to buffering every ten seconds again?

Paying for the service and then still being tempted to use an illegal pirate site just to get the damn thing to play properly is—no other way to put it—most illogical!
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

I'm sure, that if you pay your provider a bit more money, you can have a better experience when watching Netflix. Brought to you by courtesy of Ajit Pai.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

Durandal_1707 wrote:Okay, since I've mostly been on the positive side of the discussion on Discovery, I'll post a gripe, in the interest of common ground.

Why, in the name of Kahless, if they're going to make us pay for this service, and if they're not going to make it available anywhere else, can CBS not get enough bandwidth to run this thing properly without the video getting stuck in buffering after—literally, no exaggeration—10 seconds of playback time?

And then if you pause it and go do something else while you let it buffer for a while, the thing automatically unpauses itself while you're away?

And then, once you finally do get a decent buffer going, it only lasts until the next commercial break, after which point it's back to buffering every ten seconds again?

Paying for the service and then still being tempted to use an illegal pirate site just to get the damn thing to play properly is—no other way to put it—most illogical!
If you have Amazon Prime you can pay an extra $120 a year (on top of your $100 Amazon Prime account) to just stream this in your Amazon library.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

So did Hoshi found a dynasty?
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

Paul Walker wrote: Back to Star Trek:

Can you remember the last time when watching a Star Trek series that people were trying to figure out the future of the show? Can you remember the last time that Starfleet Command was shown to be competent and the captain was in the wrong? It always seemed weird that people who were in Starfleet were able to be promoted and yet have no idea how problems were solved, but this time it seems that they know something is up with Lorca, and are trying to coax him back to (rightly) relieve him of command.

Discovery isn't perfect, but it is interesting, and it IS Star Trek.
Late reply I know but was away over the weekend :)

I think I can answer that though, yes. DS9 managed all of that years ago. DS9 actually managed to have competent Admiralty dealing with the threat of the Dominion. Sisko crossed the line chasing Eddington. If you want a show where the Captain was consistently in the wrong you have Enterprise :D though that's admittedly due to terrible writing and a screwed up moral compass.

The build-up to the Dominion war was a great story that had me hooked at the time as well. Having the Federation making the preemptive strike which started it all was a bold move.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

What's new is for the Captain to be in the wrong, and for the writers to admit it. Sisko went way overboard in poisoning that planet, yes, but then the episode ended with Dax and Sisko joking about it, TOS-style. Same with Archer—we were always supposed to agree with his decisions, even when they were terrible. "If I hadn't trusted him to make the right choice I'd be no better than those Vulcans," yadda yadda yadda.

Michael actually facing consequences for her actions is new, too. Kirk stole a starship for a personal mission, and got a slap on the wrist. Picard and crew got involved in an actual Insurrection—he's still captaining the Enterprise next movie. Sisko not only poisoned that planet without authorization but actually thwarted Bajor's entry into the Federation due to religious mumbo-jumbo—no punishment. Janeway gave aid to the Federation's deadliest enemy—somehow she's made an Admiral. Let's not even go into Archer.

That's just the captains—I'm not even counting all the times that someone else like, say, Worf defied his orders and got clean away with it (the only exception being that time with Dax, and even then that didn't ever come up again AFAIR).
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

In Starfleet, mutiny isn't a crime, it's a tradition.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Michael may be Starfleet's first mutineer, but she sure isn't the last! :D